partial mashing

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

partial mashing

Postby mash » Wednesday Apr 20, 2005 9:03 am

Hi. I'm a first time user of the forum. I have been brewing for a while now using kits. My question is, can partial mashing be used in conjunction with kits? Most of what I've read is recipes using partial mashing and full extract brewing.

Hope someone can help me out, maybe a recipe for pale ale?
:D thanks
mash

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Apr 20, 2005 10:35 am

I don't see why you can't. Ironicly I was thinking of doing one of those in the next couple of weeks. (Coopers has got to stop sending us the UK product, I am making a killing)

I was thinking something like 2 kilos of pale malt, some Crystal Malt, a Coopers beer kit and then say 13 grams tetnager for last 15 min and 13 grams for the final minute. Of course it wouldn't be a Dogger brew with out 500 mls of honey in there.

The partial would be to 12 litres

I will plug it into the program and see what I get.

Did you have anything in mind?

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Jay » Wednesday Apr 20, 2005 12:16 pm

You can do a mini mash and combine with a kit wort. Apparently the outcome is really nice (never done one myself but have a method at home). Dogger is pretty much spot, from memory, with how to go about it.

Cheers,
Jay.
Jay

Postby Beerbelly » Wednesday Apr 20, 2005 12:30 pm

Excuse my ignorance but is mini mashing and partial mashing the same thing
Beerbelly

Postby Jay » Wednesday Apr 20, 2005 2:40 pm

I'm pretty sure they are. Don't know where I got mini mash from :roll:

Jay.
Jay

Postby Beerbelly » Wednesday Apr 20, 2005 3:29 pm

Yeah it is confusing because i have 1book by Laurie Strachan thats talks about partial mashing and 1book by Mike Rodgers-Wilson thats talks about mini mashing
Beerbelly

Postby grabman » Wednesday Apr 20, 2005 3:59 pm

not strictly a recipe for pale ale but some points to take note of are here:
http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=548
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Jay » Wednesday Apr 20, 2005 4:20 pm

:lol: The book I've got is by Mike Rodgers-Wilson, so I guess that's where I got mini mash from (sounds like dance move).

Jay.
Jay

Postby Hrundi V Bakshi » Thursday Apr 21, 2005 12:07 am

"Partial Mash" is more formal than "mini mash" if that is making sense? Both things are meaning the same thing.

Using the information on Coopers kits from the postings on this site, one can make a recipe to emulate any style in the BJCP guidelines by mashing the appropriate grains, boiling and adding hops.

For a pale ale such as Little Creatures or Coopers or Sierra Nevada or Fullers or Bass? There are many types of Pale Ale isn't it and I would know your preference before humbly offerring a recipe.
Hrundi V Bakshi

Postby partial mash » Thursday Apr 21, 2005 4:48 am

I was thinking about Little Creatures Pale Ale.I have a recipe using Black Rock Pilsener Blonde Brewcraft #15Brew Booster and finishing hops[cascade pellets 10g] that i wanted to adjust using partial mashing what do you think
partial mash

Postby db » Thursday Apr 21, 2005 10:54 am

i recently tried something along the lines of a coopers pale ale tin with 500g pilsner malt, 150-200g crystal, 100g of amber malt (i had some laying around & figured why not), 1kg of light dme. with 20g of cascade boiled for 20mins & another 20-25g at flame out (i don't remember the gravity of the boil offhand tho).. turned out really nice. a little heavier in body than lcpa. i can post the exact recipe if you'd like
db

Postby Hrundi V Bakshi » Thursday Apr 21, 2005 4:03 pm

partial mash wrote:I was thinking about Little Creatures Pale Ale.I have a recipe using Black Rock Pilsener Blonde Brewcraft #15Brew Booster and finishing hops[cascade pellets 10g] that i wanted to adjust using partial mashing what do you think

I am not knowing this kit but assume it is pale and not very bitter? This is being an ideal base for partial mash, because you can increase bitterness easily with hops additions.

Recipe to try:
150g Crystal grain (crushed) steep in 60-70°C water for 1 hour. Strain into a pot of water (3 litres or more) and boil for 10 mins. Remove from heat and add 20g of Cascade hops and 1.5Kg liquid malt extract (or 1.2Kg dry malt extract). Return to heat and boil for 15 minutes. Then add another 10-15g of Cascade hop pellets and remove from heat. Place a lid on pot and cool in sink of ice water for 1 hour or until the pot feels cool to the touch. Pour into fermenter, slops, hops and all then adding the kit, stirring very vigorously. Add water to 20 litres while stirring till your arm is falling off. Pitch a good ale yeast and ferment near 20°C.

This will taste and smell like Little Creatures, I am thinking.

Strictly this is not a "partial mash" but a "kit and specialty grains". Steeped grain water MUST be boiled because grain is a lovely food for bacteria.

What is being in the "Booster #15"?
Hrundi V Bakshi

Postby partial mashing » Friday Apr 22, 2005 5:16 am

thanks will try recipe this weekend have a liquid yeast starter bubbling on the kitchen bench now[wyeast 1968 london] as for the #15 Brew Booster i think its a combination of destrose cornsyrup and dme not sure
partial mashing

Postby Hrundi V Bakshi » Friday Apr 22, 2005 11:15 pm

That yeast is probably not being ideal for American style ale. Depending be on the AA of your hops, you might want to use low hops or add some (half?) of the brew booster to the boil.
Hrundi V Bakshi

Postby Guest » Monday May 02, 2005 7:12 am

Hi guys nice site, so is this one btw http://brewiki.org

Mr Bakshi has done a nice job there too.

Its good to see intersite relations going strong.

Isnt that Right Paul

Postby Beer Krout » Thursday Jul 07, 2005 11:15 am

Might have to check this movie out, next time I'm down the Video store.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063415/
Beer Krout

Postby Hrundi V Bakshi » Thursday Jul 07, 2005 11:36 am

Mr Guest,

Whatever are you talking about? I have never posted an article at brewiki. On this you have my word. I am not the sosman.
Hrundi V Bakshi

Postby Hrundi V Bakshi » Thursday Jul 07, 2005 11:56 am

Beer Krout wrote:Might have to check this movie out, next time I'm down the Video store.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063415/

Fantastic film!

I must assure you that I am to brewing what my namesake is to acting.
Hrundi V Bakshi

Postby Oliver » Thursday Jul 07, 2005 5:36 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hi guys nice site, so is this one btw http://brewiki.org

Mr Bakshi has done a nice job there too.

Its good to see intersite relations going strong.

Isnt that Right Paul

Does it really matter if he did or didn't?

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Grain brewing