Pics of a brew day

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Re: Pics of a brew day

Postby Biernut » Saturday Nov 29, 2008 4:51 pm

With my keg I drilled a hole just above the weld in the bottom of the keg to take a S/S nipple and had it welded in. IMO this is a cleaner and more permanent way than mounting a tap with nuts, washers, and seals.
Biernut

Postby gazpachos0up » Saturday Nov 29, 2008 5:03 pm

Can I ask, how much did it cost to have it welded in? where'd you buy the tap and nipples, he he he nipples
gazpachos0up

Postby Biernut » Sunday Nov 30, 2008 10:39 am

I have been buying my S/S fittings and ball valves at Nubco Kingston or Hobart. Anything they can't supply I go to Ross at Craftbrewer or Beerbelly. Welding cost me 25 bucks at a Kingston sheet metal shop. Working on the HLT at the moment incorporating a PID temperature controller which will ultimately be the heart of my HERMS system. This by far has been the biggest challenge.

Cheers

Brian
Biernut

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Dec 03, 2008 1:11 pm

Any particular reason why you went for a HERMS rather than a RIMS system?
Not a criticism, just curious.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Biernut » Thursday Dec 04, 2008 1:45 pm

Hi ya T/L

Good question as there isn't much difference between a RIMS and HERMS setup. The difference being with RIMS you are heating the mash directly as you circulate and with the HERMS you are heating it in the HLT via a coil. The way I see it as easier to control the temps as they are closer to the strike temps you are trying to achieve in the MLT. Having a insulated mash tun presents a few problems applying direct heat so heating the mash by gas or electric element would have to be done outside the Tun. I believe you use an immersion heater but I opted out of of this method as I expect to go over to a S/steel mash Tun in the future. (another keg). Another reason is that I can acquire 3/8" (9.5mm) annealed copper tubing through a friend in Sydney quite cheaply. Changing the subject, while I have been a critic of Moo Brewery's wheat beer and their Imperial Stout I must say I enjoyed their pilsener the other night. A very nice drop.

Cheers mate
Biernut

Previous

Return to Grain brewing