batch size calculations

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

batch size calculations

Postby Cadbury » Friday Apr 17, 2009 11:05 am

G'Day everyone,
If I have a recipe for an all grain brew that is for a 40L batch and I want to make a 23L batch, do I:
1) Divide the mass of the grain/hops by 40
2) Multiply that number by 23
Will that give me the correct measurements for a 23L batch?
Thanks,
Cadbury
Cadbury

Re: batch size calculations

Postby drsmurto » Friday Apr 17, 2009 11:10 am

I take it you dont have a brewing program?

If not, why not?

If so, it does this for you.

To go from a 40L batch to a 23L batch multiply all the ingredients by 23/40.

I would then round the hops to 5g increments and the malt to at least 50g increments (well, thats what i do).
drsmurto

Postby Cadbury » Friday Apr 17, 2009 11:23 am

I've just assembled all my equipment, mates are ready, looking for recipes and I didn't realise that a brewing program was that important. I thought they were only the highly experienced.
Cadbury
Cadbury

Postby drsmurto » Friday Apr 17, 2009 2:07 pm

No, beer programs like beersmith are for everyone from kit brewers thru to the pros IMO.

I started using it before i moved to AG. Extract is simple, kits more difficult but still very good. I've never formulated a recipe without it.

It also makes sharing recipes easy (i am more than willing to respond via PMs with beersmith files for my recipes) between brewers.
drsmurto

Postby warra48 » Monday Apr 20, 2009 5:12 pm

Definitely get a program like BeerSmith to help you formulate recipes.

One advantage is that recipes you borrow from friends, or acquire from recipe databases, is that they're geared to the original brewers equipment and efficiency.

Having a brewing program allows you to deal with that issue and dial recipes to your own system and experiences, and scale them to the size you want where that differs from the original.

In time, you'll treat other's recipes as inspirations, rather than as a strict prescription to follow.

A lot of the fun in homebrewing is designing your own recipes, and nailing a great brew.

By the way, I'm the fortunate recipient of a stack of recipes kindly sent to me by DrSmurto. I was able to download them straight into my BeerSmith program.
warra48

Postby Cadbury » Monday Apr 20, 2009 8:21 pm

thanks for all the input. I've just down loaded the 21 day beersmith program to have a play with. Still getting my head around how to use it, but I can already see the advantages.
Cadbury
Cadbury

Return to Grain brewing