using 2 kettles

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

using 2 kettles

Postby Cadbury » Saturday Jun 06, 2009 7:11 pm

G'day men,
I want to do 60 litre batches. I don't want to buy a 100L pot, so I thought I could use the two 50L kettles I already have. Can I drain the mash tun using a T-junction? Will the wort end up being exactly the same in both kettles? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Cadbury
Cadbury

Re: using 2 kettles

Postby Trough Lolly » Saturday Jun 06, 2009 7:43 pm

If you can get equal flow rates into both kettles, then yes, in theory they should be pretty close to the same preboil gravity. The problem then is that you have two kettles to chill - do you have two immersion chillers? You could buy a March pump and move the hot wort through a counterflow chiller - or, not buy a March pump and get the 100L kettle!

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Cadbury » Sunday Jun 07, 2009 10:14 am

yes. I was thinking about that. I was planning on cooling one then the other. I will ferment in three 30L buckets.
Cadbury
Cadbury

Postby Trough Lolly » Sunday Jun 07, 2009 11:35 am

Despite the supposedly innovative non-cooling brewing techniques championed on other brewing forums, I always recommend that you try to bring the boiled wort down to yeast pitching temps as soon as possible. There are many reasons why and they are not core to this thread, but if you want to get the best results, you should try to cool all of your wort as soon as you can...Cooling one vessel quickly whilst the other hovers at temps above 70C is kinda like having half a shower.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Cadbury » Monday Jun 08, 2009 6:10 pm

I see what you mean. I've decided to weld two 50L purchased kegs together.
Cadbury
Cadbury

Postby Clean Brewer » Thursday Jun 11, 2009 8:34 pm

60 litres is alot of beer to get through if it ends up shite or infected, not worth the risk IMO..... :wink:

CB
To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Postby drsmurto » Friday Jun 12, 2009 10:59 am

Cadbury wrote:I see what you mean. I've decided to weld two 50L purchased kegs together.
Cadbury

Picked up my 2nd 50L keg recently ($20) and plan on getting the 2 welded together. Got a few mates with TIG welders who work for beer.

I picked up my brew bench this week as well as a march pump. Will be grabbing a 50L HLT in the next week or 2. Then it will be big batches :lol: :twisted: 8)
drsmurto

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Jun 12, 2009 7:26 pm

drsmurto wrote:...I picked up my brew bench this week as well as a march pump. Will be grabbing a 50L HLT in the next week or 2. Then it will be big batches :lol: :twisted: 8)

Welcome to the club; we've got jackets!! :D
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby drsmurto » Monday Jun 15, 2009 2:54 pm

I'll take a pic of the brewbench and equipment soon TL. The bench isnt all that different to yours, minus the shelf you have.

Now i just need to figure out how to use a march pump.....
drsmurto

Postby Trough Lolly » Monday Jun 15, 2009 8:56 pm

drsmurto wrote:I'll take a pic of the brewbench and equipment soon TL. The bench isnt all that different to yours, minus the shelf you have.

Now i just need to figure out how to use a march pump.....

No probs - ping me if you need help re the pump - they're the ducks guts when you fire it all up. With a bit of inventive flair you can make a full blown HERMS with one pump if you wanna get hard core!

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Return to Grain brewing