50L Keg conversion to a HLT

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

50L Keg conversion to a HLT

Postby tazman67 » Tuesday Jun 16, 2009 6:06 pm

I am about to gain a 50L keg . My AG set up dont have a dedicated HLT. I am using my kettle atm and its a PITA. I was hoping to use this keg for a HLT. I was wondering what ideas people had for this ? I was hoping to go twin electric elements with a thermo probe. Any ideas much appreciated.I could buy a Urn but at $274 I aint got that cash atm.
Time for a brewery upgrade...
Cheers
I brew the beer I drink
tazman67

Re: 50L Keg conversion to a HLT

Postby SUBREW » Wednesday Jun 17, 2009 11:28 am

My set up is:

Keg -cut out top yourself with angle grinder with cutting disc (See you tube for method - search for keggle).
2 X 2000W elements - I got two made for stills sold in NZ that had screw / weldless fittings and leads (about $40NZ each if I recall). I have them on two seperate circuits in the garage.
1 X Mashmaster thermoter (I control the temp myself manually at the moment but could have a thermostat / switch set up at some day)
1 X SS tap, with homemade 'weldless' fitting using what I could get from local plumbers shop (bugatti valve/threaded nipple/silicone seal /washers / nut).

Works perfectly - no leaks next upgrade will be a sight tube (instead of a dipstick) to measure volume and possibly a temperature controller so I can dial in the temp and leave it.

Hope this helps... its easy to set up if you have even basic skils with drill and angle grinder.

Cheers
SUBREW

Re: 50L Keg conversion to a HLT

Postby tazman67 » Wednesday Jun 17, 2009 5:18 pm

Thanks Subrew
I brew the beer I drink
tazman67

Return to Grain brewing