Thermometer for boil keg/kettle

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Thermometer for boil keg/kettle

Postby billybushcook » Thursday Jun 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Iv'e been using one of those spike type meat thermometers for monitoring temps in the kettle when heating strike & sparge water, now finding that my right hand is slowly being turned into a DIM SIM from the heat while I hold it in there & wait for the read out to tick up to temp.

My prefered method is to get hold of one of those digital themometers with the remote thermocouple like a multimeter so I can leave the probe/thermocouple in the kettle & just read the temp at a glance.

Do any of you guys use this method?

Where do you get e'm?

Most I have seen at Dick smiths, Jaycar etc are close to $100.
I have seen a few on Ebay for around $30 but without a Paypal account, they are not available to me at present.

Cheers, Mick.
billybushcook

Re: Thermometer for boil keg/kettle

Postby Trough Lolly » Thursday Jun 25, 2009 10:58 pm

For my 10 Gallon Rubbermaid cooler mashtun, I use and recommend a Mashmaster Thermometer. You can get short stemmed versions for pots and kegs:

http://mashmaster.com.au/p/923730/-weldless-bi-metal-thermometer-3-dial-face--short-thread---for-pots-and-kegs.html

I think Ross still sells them? Pretty good value for around $50 and easy as pie to install...

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Clean Brewer » Friday Jun 26, 2009 10:27 pm

+1 on Trough Lollys advice, best bit of kit ive bought... Get the weldless and it only takes a hole to install it, it shows you all your temps for Protein rests, mash temps, mash out temps, sparges etc etc... :wink:

Just have to ensure its calibrated to the right temp, but it will save you holding the Dig. Stick thermo..... But I still use the stick aswell for my hlt as I only have a MM Thermo on my Mash tun which I think is more important... :D

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3027
To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Postby billybushcook » Saturday Jun 27, 2009 12:03 pm

Thx guys, that would be good in the kettle but with something sticking through the side I probably wouldn,t be able to get my chiller in & out so I got the father in law to order me one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-K-Type-Digital ... 7C294%3A50

With the dual thermocouples I can monitor the mash & my sparge water heating up at the same time....too easy.

The only issue might be accuracy, they rate them @ +/- 2 deg up to 1300C but a calibration check with the meat thermo will be the go before mashing in.

Cheers, Mick.
billybushcook

Postby Clean Brewer » Saturday Jun 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Calibrate them against boiling water mate, 100c.... Not sure if I would count on the meat Thermo? :?

And the recommended MM Thermometer is really good for your Mash-Tun, not so much your boil kettle and IMO your HLT.. :wink:

CB
To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Return to Grain brewing