HELP PLEASE my 1st wash

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

HELP PLEASE my 1st wash

Postby drunkpaul » Sunday Nov 14, 2010 9:46 am

just after any info on putting down my first wash. i just bought a fermenter that came with everything i need to put down a wash except the sugar. the tobaccanist said i need 8Kg of white sugar and then mix it in 40 degree water then mix in the 24 hour turbo yeast. i also got a 24 hour turbo klar but a mate said it isnt essential to use that. mix and leave for ten days then put it in the still. does that sound ok or is there something else ive forgotten or should be doing? any advice would be greatly appriciated. thanks in advance.
drunkpaul

Re: HELP PLEASE my 1st wash

Postby lethaldog » Sunday Nov 14, 2010 3:54 pm

That sounds about right for a begining, use your judgement though on when to still it as i have found washes take a fair while to clear properly although i dont use a clearing agent...if you do use a clearing agent like turbo clear then you wait untill it stops fermenting then just read the pack for instructions ( its childs play ) then you can still it the next day basically!!
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby drunkpaul » Sunday Nov 14, 2010 4:19 pm

thanks heaps lethaldog. ive just finished mixing the sugar up,just waiting for the mix to cool alittle before adding turbo yeast.do i stir the wash often or only at the start to mix sugar and yeast? also is an air lock essential? ive read to use them but it says not to on the turbo yeast packet.
drunkpaul

Postby bullfrog » Sunday Nov 14, 2010 5:12 pm

The only reason you wouldn't use an airlock is if you have a ridiculously active yeast strain (which you do) and you fear a krausen overflow. In this case, you either use a blow-off tube into another container, or you bust out the trusty cling-wrap. Cling wrap instead of a lid is great in this instance (provided you secure it to the fermenter strongly enough) because it won't matter if the yeast causes crap to blow out the sides as the top will still be on. An airlock will simply empty itself in that situation and create an open hole right into your wash or brew.
bullfrog

Postby lethaldog » Sunday Nov 14, 2010 6:28 pm

Also just to add to Bullfrogs comments, those yeast strains are very temperature tolerant so if it says to mix sugar in at 40.C then there is no need to wait for it to cool just whack the yeast straight in mix and either cling rap or use a blow off tube like Bullfrog said!!
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby hirns » Sunday Nov 14, 2010 7:46 pm

Second, the advice above...but would like to make sure that you have a 25l+ fermenter.

Cheers

Hirns
hirns

Postby drunkpaul » Monday Nov 15, 2010 7:54 am

thanks guys.your advice is gold.my fermenter is 30L and has a hole in the lid for the long handled spoon to stick out.
after reading on the net that i needed an airlock,a mate just said to put a towel over the fermenter to keep any dust or crap out.
should i take the spoon out to leave a hole and cover with the towel?
as is with the spoon still in, it seems to be bubbling away good. i dont have the lid screwed on too tightly(just enough to keep dust out) and its settling down a bit now. last night it was a foaming mess. it didnt over flow though.
drunkpaul

Postby hirns » Monday Nov 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Is it airtight around the spoon? If not take the spoon out and place some tape over the hole for now. In future try to keep it sealed so that co2 comes out of the airlock and nothing can get in.

Cheers
Hirns
hirns

Postby drunkpaul » Monday Nov 15, 2010 7:42 pm

thanks hirns,will do. im sure an air lock wont break the bank.
drunkpaul

Postby hirns » Monday Nov 15, 2010 8:10 pm

A lot of people simply use clingwrap over the top as a lid and use the o-ring from the lid as a rubber band to hold the cling wrap in place. Make for a lovely viewing window. You'll get to know the various stages of fermentation.

Hirns
hirns

Postby drunkpaul » Monday Nov 15, 2010 9:15 pm

thats a great idea hirns. i really wasn't keen to use cling wrap because i didnt think it would stay on.
using the o ring would work great and the view would help me learn whats going on.
surely it would stop the smell too.
drunkpaul

Postby drunkpaul » Saturday Dec 04, 2010 7:37 am

just a quick thanks to everyone that welcomed me or replyed to me on this forum.
finished stilling and filtering my first batch of alcohol.
it turned out great. i think it did anyway. the missus thinks it tastes like poison but she dosn't drink a lot of alcohol so what would she know.
made scotch wiskey,wild turkey and southern comfort knock offs with the edwards essences range.
their not as good as shop bought ones but for the price it cost,they'll do fine.
thanks again. let the experimenting begin.
drunkpaul

Postby hirns » Saturday Dec 04, 2010 8:16 am

Congratulations on your first batch.

Well with a bit of experimenting with diffrent essences you will get closer. It depends on your taste as there are many variations of scotch. Don't be affraid to mix esseneces, a use a combo of three essences for my Bundy rum knock off. I use McGregors whisky essence for my scotch, but make it to 2L rather than 2.25, so you can play around here as well. I've found the oak shavings or pieces are what really adds the icing to the cake with most of these essences.

Cheers

Hirns
hirns

Postby drunkpaul » Monday Dec 20, 2010 10:03 am

cheers hirns
cant wait to try a few different recipies. i got a few ideas off this site that sound interesting.
a bloke at work swears by the wood chips.does soaking the alcohol in 50 grams for ten days sound about right?
drunkpaul

Postby elec » Monday Dec 20, 2010 8:25 pm

Drunkpaul, have a look at Homedistiller .org. More info you will never find.
I'm not young enough to know everything..........
elec

Postby hirns » Tuesday Dec 28, 2010 10:29 pm

I start with the advised dosages on the packets of chips and go from there.

Cheers

Hirns
hirns

Postby queenslandhomebrew » Saturday Jan 08, 2011 6:06 pm

there is a large range of flavours on the market the list is nearly endless my name is Paul and I own a homebrew shop in Qld have had years of brewing experience and enjoy making BEER, WINE and SPIRITS my advice withing brewing spirits is to carbon your alcohol and carbon again always improves more carbon the better the alcohol find me on www.queenslandhomebrew.com.au
queenslandhomebrew

Postby drunkpaul » Sunday Jan 09, 2011 8:58 pm

thanks guys. im almost a pro now. ive done 3 batches,ha ha. im slowly working out what works for me. although with the amount of info on the net,i guess i'll never stop learning. home distiller has been a very handy place for info and i'll certainly be looking up queenslandhomebrew soon.
drunkpaul

Postby gagginforit » Tuesday Apr 05, 2011 10:57 am

Hi guys, first time brewer. I was going to start a topic, but, its possibly more relevant to post here.

My friend got me into brewing, i like his brew, but would like it more charcoal-ey. He suggested i give my own brew a try, so iam. After watching him theres a few things i want to know.

Am i supposed to stir my wash? He gives his a stir once a day, i have been doing the same and after 4 days my wash is only slightly bubbling now. Will be using the hydrometer this afternoon to test. My wash is sitting between 26 - 28 degrese consistantly, water temp on adding my 2.4L of dextrose to was 30.3 degrese and 7.5l exact. Its smelling pretty ripe, and all is looking to be going to plan, just a little unsure of the stirring and taking the lid on and off.
gagginforit

Return to Spirits