Worst service

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Worst service

Postby Oliver » Monday Nov 15, 2010 10:50 am

Hi guys,

This report is a bit after the fact, but on election day I went to one of my locals, the Royal Park in Queensberry Street, North Melbourne. I feel compelled to share the experience.

I'd been there once before, and vowed never to return. On that occasion I went there to wait for 'er indoors because we were meeting some friends nearby. I went into the bar and asked what beers they had. "Draught, Heineken, Stella, Pure Blond [etc, etc]," came the reply.

None of these appealed to me, not least because I knew the Stella and Heineken would have been the inferior locally brewed versions. And I'd just come from Prudence, a bar around the corner in Victoria Street where I'd been drinking the (at the time) sensational 3 Ravens Bronze Ale.

"Have you got any ales?" I inquired.

"No, just what's in the fridge. What's the difference between an ale and a lager?" the guy behind the bar asked me. I was a bit shocked at his ignorance, but nevertheless explained the basic differences, ordered a pot of Carlton Draught and sat outside. When the missus arrived I forbade her :D from getting a drink there and we left, promising myself that I would never return.

On election day we decided to celebrate voting (any excuse for a beer) with a quiet one at the Royal Park, which was next door to the polling place. It was "under new management" and it was their opening party with a free BBQ and the like. So we thought we'd give it another chance.

Big mistake.

The Lady took a seat and I stood at the bar. And stood at the bar. And stood at the bar. Even the $20 note I was waving about didn't get me served. Eventually I caught the eye of a guy behind the bar, who was drinking with a group of friends (of course rule No.1 of owning an establishment is to not drink on the job). He saw me, and immediately turned back and did a "cheers" with his mates.

Needless to say, at that point I yelled to the missus "Let's go", and stormed out.

I shall not be back, until next time it changes hands. Given the experience on election day I shouldn't need to wait too long because I can't see that they're going to get too many regular customers.

It's a real shame, because it's got the potential to be a great pub. But how hard is it to sell a beer to someone who's thirsty??

As you can probably tell, I'm deeply scarred by the experience.

Rant over :D

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Pubs and bars