Mrs Parmas

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Mrs Parmas

Postby homebrewer79 » Thursday Jun 19, 2008 4:07 pm

Did anyone see the write-up on Vic mirco's the other day, I think it was in Tuesdays herald Sun. This place looks alright http://www.mrsparmas.com.au/, haven't been yet but plan to next week for lunch. Beers are apparently Victorian brews, with quite a few from micro's. What more could a man want, good beers AND a good parma in the same sitting. Ohhhh I love parma's, and beer of course :lol:
Thats it, you people have stood in my way long enough, I'm going to clown college
homebrewer79

Re: Mrs Parmas

Postby Danis » Thursday Jun 19, 2008 5:34 pm

I think I'm definetly going to be paying that place a visit in the next week or so. Apparently they are going to be having a couple of kegs of Jamieson's Son of the beast on the rotating tap soon, which I recommend to anyone who's a fan of highly hopped beers.
Danis

Postby rwh » Thursday Jun 19, 2008 5:36 pm

What's with the Temple brewery logo on the front page? I can't find any of their beers on tap or in bottles (their ESB is one of my favourite beers). :(
w00t!
rwh

Postby homebrewer79 » Thursday Jun 19, 2008 6:41 pm

I think I'm gonna go for the Prickly Moses Wheat Beer first up, never had it before, in fact, never heard of the brewery before. Maybe the Temple beers are on the rotating tap now and again, I've never had a beer from that brewery either so if they have that when I'm there I might have to make that second :twisted: . The best part about going for lunch next week is that I'm having a 2 hour lunch break from work and I don't have to drive back to work (Airport West), so I can sneek in a few brewskey's :D :D :D Gotta love the tram system
Thats it, you people have stood in my way long enough, I'm going to clown college
homebrewer79

Postby Tim... » Saturday Jun 21, 2008 1:42 am

homebrewer79 wrote:Did anyone see the write-up on Vic mirco's the other day, I think it was in Tuesdays herald Sun. This place looks alright http://www.mrsparmas.com.au/, haven't been yet but plan to next week for lunch. Beers are apparently Victorian brews, with quite a few from micro's. What more could a man want, good beers AND a good parma in the same sitting. Ohhhh I love parma's, and beer of course :lol:

Make sure your visit the ATM before you visit, it's a fairly expensive place. Parmas are a good 20 something dollars (didn't try one), and i recall paying close to (if not more than) $10 for a pint of Mildura Brewery Storm Cloudy Ale, and same price for another of the tapped microbrews. Apart from that, the venue is great. Quiet place (well I did go on a Tuesday night), and you won't have to fight a crowd to get served at the bar. They started turning off the lights on us at 10:00pm to tell us to leave (last customers :P), so don't expect a late one there. I guess its not really a busy lane in the city, especially on a tuesday night. I appreciate them for their support in microbrewed beer, but their prices aren't going to make me crawl back anytime soon.

rwh wrote:What's with the Temple brewery logo on the front page? I can't find any of their beers on tap or in bottles (their ESB is one of my favourite beers). :(

You'll be happy to know they are opening a bar in Melbourne sometime this year. I believe the brewer said it will be in North Melbourne, and will be open sometime in the third quarter of this year (so probably soon I hope!!). A while after they open the bar, they will open their brewery there as well (they are currently brewing at Jamiesons).

Tim
Tim...

Postby rwh » Sunday Jun 22, 2008 3:21 pm

Tim... wrote:You'll be happy to know they are opening a bar in Melbourne sometime this year. I believe the brewer said it will be in North Melbourne...

Yarraville, actually. Looking forward to it :)
w00t!
rwh

Postby homebrewer79 » Sunday Jun 22, 2008 8:02 pm

Make sure your visit the ATM before you visit, it's a fairly expensive place. Parmas are a good 20 something dollars (didn't try one),

It's not easy gettin a good parma these days :( , I'll gladly pay $20 for a decent one, as for the beer I guess I'll have to choose carefully, although can't be as bad as getting charged $12 for a pint of Stella (that's BUL) :lol: :roll:

Yarraville, actually. Looking forward to it

Looks like it could be a trip to G&G then a nice parma. If the beers are too dear at Mrs Parmas maybe we can get a few from G&G and sneek em in :twisted:
homebrewer79

Postby earle » Monday Jun 23, 2008 8:25 am

Popped in here when I was in Melbourne a month or so ago. Parma was good and worth $20 I reckon, had trouble finishing it. As for the beer, sure you can get it cheaper at Dans or G&G, but the prices didn't seem that exorbitant when you look at the price lists of places like Beer Deluxe and the transport.
earle

Postby Tim... » Monday Jun 23, 2008 8:45 am

homebrewer79 wrote:
Yarraville, actually. Looking forward to it

Looks like it could be a trip to G&G then a nice parma. If the beers are too dear at Mrs Parmas maybe we can get a few from G&G and sneek em in :twisted:

The temple bar will be in yarraville, Mrs Parmas is near Parliament station in the city. And you won't need to bring beers in, the tap beers are always of great quality. They had Otway Estate Wheat, 2Brothers Growler, and many other great microbrews on tap when I went.

earle wrote:Popped in here when I was in Melbourne a month or so ago. Parma was good and worth $20 I reckon, had trouble finishing it. As for the beer, sure you can get it cheaper at Dans or G&G, but the prices didn't seem that exorbitant when you look at the price lists of places like Beer Deluxe and the transport.

I find the prices at transport pretty fair, for the quality beer you get on the guest taps. Usually $8 a pint, some $7.50, and I have paid $8.50 (for a pint of moo brew pale ale). I think its expensive for the CUB pisswater, but I can't say I've actually bought a pint of Carlton there, so I wouldn't know the price. The bottle prices can be fairly pricey, however. Unibroue beers are always are bargain there, considering the quality and abv on them. Beer delux was a bit cheaper that transport I think. But now they now are trying to make 75% of their sales for Lion Nathans beers (mostly boags), which they previously would have refused to even stock, so they are losing their place in the pubs with good beer list. (Although buy a 'burger delux' from them next time you go for $10. You won't need to eat for another week, :lol: )

As for parmas, I'm so used to the $8 parma at a shitty pub during pub crawls and such, I just can't see myself paying anything over $20 for them.
Tim...

Postby homebrewer79 » Monday Jun 23, 2008 10:48 am

The temple bar will be in yarraville

My bad, I was a little drunk most of the weekend :roll:

As for parmas, I'm so used to the $8 parma at a shitty pub during pub crawls and such, I just can't see myself paying anything over $20 for them.

I think the most I've paid for a parma was about $26 a few years ago in sydney, it was the best parma I've ever had and would gladly pay that much again if it were as good. Parma's and beer are my only two weakness's :D
homebrewer79

Return to Pubs and bars