Chili Con Carnage

Using the amber fluid in cooking, and pairing beer with food.

Postby erik » Wednesday Jun 06, 2007 8:11 pm

Hey All,

If a few Habs aren't hot enough or you guys are cooking for the family try adding some of these products.

http://extremefood.com.au

Gotta love the Mega Death sauce. I'm waiting on a 3AM Reserve - can't wait to do a Chilli with that puppy.

or try

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/purecap.html

Beer and Chilli - what a combo
erik

Postby Anzac Cookies » Friday Sep 28, 2007 2:22 pm

Looks like we have a new leader in the Scoville Race,"Dorset Naga gave a reading of nearly 900,000SHU. A fresh sample was sent to a lab in New York used by the American Spice Trade Association and recorded a mouth-numbing 923,000SHUs. " Man that would make my gums bleed :shock:
A woman walks into a bar and orders a double entendre, so the bartender gave her one !
Anzac Cookies

Re: Chili Con Carnage

Postby PaulSteele » Monday May 05, 2008 11:22 pm

oh how i love chili.

i've started a recipe on a good cerveza solely for serving with chili.
PaulSteele

Postby KEG » Tuesday May 06, 2008 12:11 am

geez it's a pity that a particular poster had to go through all his old posts, removing the content of them. a lot of good threads make no sense now cos of that. what a twit :evil:
KEG

Postby James L » Tuesday May 06, 2008 4:21 pm

i was wondering why i couldn't find a recipe... that would explain it...

I have a glorious looking habanero bush at home that i have cared for since it was just a seedling... bright red bell shaped peppers.. dont eat them though... they are mainly for show... Get heaps of fruit from the one plant... Also got a nice phallic pepper plant called the chilli willy... because it has penis shaped fruit... dont ask how i got it... its not looking too well cos it didnt get watered during my holiday.. but it should be fine...
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday May 06, 2008 4:48 pm

Since the nameless creature who changed all his posts to ....... has removed the recipe i thought i would post the one i made on Friday night 8)

500g beef mince
1 tin red kidney beans
1-2 onions, diced
1 red capsicum, diced
2 tins diced tomatoes
2 tbsp ground cumin (i use the seeds which i dry roast and then crush with a mortar and pestle)
1 big tbsp smoked hot paprika
1 tsp hot cayenne pepper
as many dried red chillies and you can handle - again, crushed in a mortar and pestle.
(occasionally add some death sauce - whichever one is in the fridge at the time and definitely only to my meal if i want to retain my genitals)
a few cloves of garlic
sometimes add smokey bacon
fresh coriander leaves - again, as much as you like.
mushrooms, diced

fry up mince, onions, garlic and capscium. add everything else and simmer for an hour adding the mushroom and fresh coriander 5 mins before the end.

I serve them up in tortillas with loads of grated cheese and my own pickled jalapenos.

Good stuff. Sometimes i use diced beef instead of mince or even roo.

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday May 06, 2008 5:09 pm

Yeah not bad for a start, but I usually add a lot more beans. I also like to use half Chili Beans (can be found at Woolies in the Wow Select brand or Old El Paso) and Red Kidneys 1-2 tins of each depending on the size of the batch (or to taste).

I also use Chili Powder, Cocoa Powder, Fresh Coriander, Fresh Parsley, Cinnamon, Paprika, Cracked Black Pepper and Cayenne. Taste as you go, but remember the heat will be intensified as it cooks, and any leftovers will be hotter again once reheated (anyone know why this is?).

Also make sure to use White Onion, makes a big difference!

If you have a slow cooker I suggest you do it in there, cook the onions garlic and meat and then add everything into the slow cooker. Leave it on low for half a day or so and it will all stew nicely. You can add pasta shells or elbow mac 1 hour before serving to thicken it up. ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby PaulSteele » Wednesday May 07, 2008 1:21 am

My recipe:

(no quantities because nothing gets measured)

Beef mince
onions
garlic
bacon
one million grinds of black pepper
punch of salt
any decent herbs i can find in my drawer
fresh chili
dried chili
'taco seasoning'
some sort of stock cube
a bit of the beer in my hand
love

serve with rice seasoned with tumeric, top with really crispy bacon, broken up and a slice or two of red onion
PaulSteele

Postby timmy » Wednesday May 07, 2008 9:17 am

Kevnlis wrote:... and any leftovers will be hotter again once reheated (anyone know why this is?)......

I made a batch of (what I thought was hot) Chili the other day and reheated it for dinner last night. It definately lost some of its kick in the meantime. My basic recipe is:
- Soften a couple of diced brown onions + garlic in some oil. I also added about 4 sliced chilis at this point
- Add cumin, chili powder and some smoked paprika (this is a great addition IMO).
- Browned off the 500g mince
- Add 2 tins tomatoes and kidney beans
- Throw in the oven on 180deg for about an hour.

Also - I found that doing the chili in the slow cooker actually reduced the chili heat instead of increasing it.

And I have a copy of the original Carnage recipe at home somewhere and I'll re-post it when I remember....

Has anyone seen the 'In Search of Perfection' cooking show from the UK where the guy goes all-out to make the 'perfect' chili? I've got his recipe too but 2 days of prep + about $100 of ingredients is a bit excessive for 8 servings....

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby Anzac Cookies » Wednesday May 07, 2008 9:28 am

I find that Sour Cream is great to serve with Chili Con Carne, especially when served with rice. I also use rump cut up into fine pieces and slow cook it for approx 4hrs til it breaks down. Better than mince IMHO :D
A woman walks into a bar and orders a double entendre, so the bartender gave her one !
Anzac Cookies

Previous

Return to In the kitchen and at the table