Cleaning / Sanitising Stainless Steel Kegs

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Cleaning / Sanitising Stainless Steel Kegs

Postby da_damage_done » Monday May 08, 2006 11:00 am

I've been going through the forums and google and am yet to find anything definative on what is best to use to sanitize stainless steel.

I've read that bleach is bad - but it can be used effectively in low concentrations and for short periods (less than an hour)

I was going to use 4 capfuls of household bleach in 50L's of water

What I really wanna know is is this gonna cause corrosion and if there is something better I could/should be using.

So how does everyone else sanitise their stainless steel setups?
da_damage_done

Postby pharmaboy » Monday May 08, 2006 2:56 pm

hi, bleach is fine - you just need to rinse it with water a few times (till you cant smell it)

If you are emptying, then refilling straight away and putting back into fridge, then just a hot water rinse should do, as no further fermentation will take place in the fridge. If you are natural conditioning, then a bit more care is required. bacteria doesnt like the cold, nor CO2, they like warmth and oxygen - so dont forget to burp your kegs!
pharmaboy

Postby Hashie » Monday May 08, 2006 4:55 pm

Da-Damage, my kegs are cleaned and sanitised with hot water.

It is my understanding that any amount of bleach will pitt/corrode stainless steel.

Let's be realistic, it is, after all, stainless steel. Unless they are already coroded, or the insides have been scratched or scored, I don't believe any nasties will be able to gain a foothold in there.

I rinse with the hose when first emptied, pull apart and wash all parts with hot water, re-assemble. A quick go with hot water from the kettle prior to filling, (this also has the advanage of pressurising the keg to check for leaks) and my beer is fine.
There is no such thing as bad beer. There is only good beer and better beer.
Hashie

Postby pharmaboy » Monday May 08, 2006 6:48 pm

Hashie wrote:Da-Damage, my kegs are cleaned and sanitised with hot water.

It is my understanding that any amount of bleach will pitt/corrode stainless steel.

Let's be realistic, it is, after all, stainless steel. Unless they are already coroded, or the insides have been scratched or scored, I don't believe any nasties will be able to gain a foothold in there.

I rinse with the hose when first emptied, pull apart and wash all parts with hot water, re-assemble. A quick go with hot water from the kettle prior to filling, (this also has the advanage of pressurising the keg to check for leaks) and my beer is fine.

Hashie, I sort of assume that cornies are marine grade ss? Its only crappy ss that corodes from bleach - supposed to be similar to seawater in corrosiveness. But nevertheless, if you are wanton to make a too strong solution and then leave it in there for a week/month - well problems are maybe coming your way.

Given that cornies have had pepsi concentrate in them for a decade or so by the time we get them, i sort of assume that they use good quality ss!

Must admit though, I never leave em open to the world, and clean them with water - since i got them, i suspect no keg has been empty for more than 10 minutes LOL!
pharmaboy

Postby Shaun » Monday May 08, 2006 10:20 pm

It is not just bleach that can cause a problem in SS kegs any chlorine based cleaner/sanitizer will cause the SS to corrode if left for extended periods of time. If rinsed off quickly after clean it is not a problem. If you are concerned about it most HBS sell keg and line cleaner that is SS safe.

I use chlorine based cleaner on my kegs then rinse them with no problems.
Shaun

Postby da_damage_done » Tuesday May 09, 2006 9:38 am

Cheers

I've got a mate who uses bicarbonate soda (you know the little blue and white boxes). How does this go with stainless?
da_damage_done

Postby drtom » Tuesday May 09, 2006 10:23 am

bicarb should be fine on the SS, but it's not a very strong cleaning agent.

Tom
drtom

Postby Chris » Tuesday May 09, 2006 11:20 am

Idophor works well, and it doesn't attack the ss.
Chris

Return to Kegging