Beer fizzing up when priming

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Beer fizzing up when priming

Postby morgenmuffel » Monday Nov 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi all

Okey doke, pretty much any beer I make, when I go to bottle and prime it, it fizzes out if you don't get the lid on within a few seconds of adding the priming sugar.

most of my brews have been made following the instructions on the side of the kit and using plain old white sugar.

I normally wait a day or so after the airlock has stopped bubbling before bottling normally at this point the SG is around 1010 - 1012.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong or is this normal?

my latest batches i have switched to using carbonation drops as they don't fizz up, but they are a tad dearer than i want to be paying.
morgenmuffel

Re: Beer fizzing up when priming

Postby Bum » Monday Nov 05, 2012 4:16 pm

Reading between the lines it looks like you're adding the sugar to the bottle after filling. Is that correct? Try putting the sugar in first and see how you get on.
Bum

Postby melykabeer » Monday Nov 05, 2012 4:45 pm

+1 that
I have added it after on one bottle where I forgot to add the sugar it fizzed out the top. You can also leave it sit longer say an extra week more co2 will come out of the beer.
melykabeer

Postby morgenmuffel » Wednesday Nov 07, 2012 1:47 pm

Yes I am adding the sugar after filling, never even occurred to me to, try it the other way around, will give that a go, and I'll leave it an extra few days before bottling as well.

Thanks a bunch
morgenmuffel

Postby morgenmuffel » Thursday Feb 07, 2013 4:40 pm

Just an update

Yep adding the sugar first solved the problem, I also left it an extra couple of days as well, suprisingly it has come out as my nicest brew to date.
morgenmuffel

Return to Making beer