Bottling

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Bottling

Postby Mad Dog » Saturday Dec 08, 2012 4:20 am

I am approaching bottling day of my first home brew, a stout. I have a handle on how to do it. My "kit" from morebeer.com came with 4oz of corn sugar and instructions following the Palmer method.

So, how many have had bottles burst or caps pop off during conditioning? I'm not "afraid" of this because I have a big plastic tote with lid that will hold two cases if 12 ouncers. I'm just curious if this is very common these days. My dad used to home brew back before it was a popular thing to do, and lost several bottles to over pressure.
Mad Dog

Re: Bottling

Postby emnpaul » Saturday Dec 08, 2012 4:28 am

Just one. I think I may have primed it twice as all the other bottles in the batch were fine.

As long as you use a hydrometer to check your beer has finished fermeting before bottling you shouldn't have a problem.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby Mad Dog » Saturday Dec 08, 2012 4:53 am

Thanks.
Mad Dog

Postby big dave » Tuesday Dec 11, 2012 8:08 am

I have never had a bomb, but once lost a brew where the crown seal was not properly sealed. The beer cupboard smelt fantastic, but all the other brews were a bit sticky. If you use heavy bottles and seal them properly you will be fine.
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Postby Mad Dog » Tuesday Dec 11, 2012 2:14 pm

Got my virgin batch in the bottles, so far no explosions. I think that is an old school thing. Happened before people knew their gravity.
Mad Dog

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Dec 25, 2012 2:34 pm

emnpaul wrote:Just one. I think I may have primed it twice as all the other bottles in the batch were fine.

Hmmm, you too :-) I think I had a few too many while bottling. That's my excuse anyway. Not a bad track record given 2000+ bottles and that I usually drink when I'm bottling!

emnpaul wrote:As long as you use a hydrometer to check your beer has finished fermeting before bottling you shouldn't have a problem.

Second that. Provided fermentation is finished and you don't overprime, you'll be fine.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Mad Dog » Tuesday Dec 25, 2012 3:45 pm

I am usually piss drunk by the time I write down my OG LOL
Mad Dog

Return to Making beer