Wort aeration

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Wort aeration

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Jan 01, 2013 10:54 am

Guys,

I'm looking for some advice about a pump and air stone for aeration of wort and am interested in what others use.

For about $20 I can get an air pump such as this Aqua One Precision 2500 that can pump 160 litres an hour.

Also, what are the pros and cons of a 0.5 micron versus a 2.0 micron air stone (these are the two that sizes that both Grain and Grape and Country Brewer sell). As I understand it the 0.5 micron is for use with pure oxygen. Correct?

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Re: Wort aeration

Postby warra48 » Tuesday Jan 01, 2013 12:06 pm

I no longer use my aqaurium pump for aeration of the fermenter.
I found it just created a lot of froth and bubble after only a few minutes use, before I believe it had aerated sufficiently. Couldn't be bothered going back and doing it a number of times waiting for the froth to die down.
My new toy is a paint stirrer on the end of my drill. Seems to do the job in double quick time.

However, I do use my aquarium pump to aerate and agitate my yeast starters. I just use the silicon tube, weighed down with a SS nut, no airstone. It keeps the starter constantly in suspension and feeds the yeast whatever oxygen they need to grow. I run it for about 12 to 15 or so hours. Last week I pitched a smakpak of WY3068 into 3½ litres of starter wort, and reckon I got 5 to 6 times growth with my method.
warra48

Postby Tipsy » Thursday Jan 03, 2013 11:52 am

I don't use mine anymore either. Most of my beers are no chill so I shake the shit out of the cube. (After pouring a little off)
Tipsy

Postby jello » Friday Jan 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Tipsy wrote:I don't use mine anymore either. Most of my beers are no chill so I shake the shit out of the cube. (After pouring a little off)

My method of choice also. I do not need excess equipment.
Jeff.
jello

Postby drsmurto » Friday Jan 04, 2013 4:46 pm

I use oxygen via an airstone.

Shaking, drills, dropping from a height, aquarium pump. They all rely on the content of oxygen in the air which is only 21%.

All the research I've read suggests that relying on air to get oxygen into your wort, will result in a max oxygen concentration of 8ppm. Pure oxygen allows much more and yeast will happily accept more.

8ppm is ok, more is better.

My oxygen kit was bought from Mark's Home Brew shop in Newcastle. Not cheap but it is plug and play which I like. My observations are that I am getting better attenuation, faster and.cleaner ferments.

Add to that the research I do for a living involves oxygen so I have spent a significant time discussing oxygen and yeast with a professor of microbiology (chemistry is my game).
drsmurto

Postby Chris2012 » Friday Jan 04, 2013 7:53 pm

the .5 micron stainless stone. The half micron bubbles rise through the beer creating so much surface area contact between gas and liquid that the absorption rate is very rapid. Stole that off some website!
Finish your beer!! There are sober kids in Africa
Chris2012

Postby Geneabovill » Friday Jan 11, 2013 9:05 pm

MHB's kit is good value for money. It's cheaper than what BOC or Reece sell them for, too. No affiliation.

IIRC, yeast only require about 10ppm for their cell wall growth. 8ppm is not ideal, but if that's what you can get, it's better than a kick in the teeth.
Geneabovill

Postby Oliver » Monday Apr 29, 2013 12:50 pm

A quick update on this: I bought an Aqua One Precision 2500 air pump as in the original post and a 2-micron airstone and hose from Grain and Grape.

After going to use it on a Dr Smurto's Golden Ale and finding they'd given me 8mm hose instead of 6mm, I got a new bit of hose and finally got to use the air stone on the weekend in a best bitter that'd been in the cube for a few days. I had it in the wort for a good 15 minutes and didn't find any problem with excessive foaming.

I pitched the Windsor dried yeast about 20C and within 24 hours the krausen had peaked.

Having not used this yeast before I can't be sure if the quick fermentation is due to it or the aeration, but I think I'll be aerating all my beers from now on using this method.

If nothing else, it saves my arm dropping off due to stirring and splashing with the mash paddle!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby warra48 » Thursday May 02, 2013 2:40 pm

I agree with Dr Smurto that the oxygen kit from Marks Home Brew is the duck's nuts.
Unfortunately, my minister for finance is not in a position to approve a purchase at this time.
Keeping my eye on it for Christmas and next birthday (they're only 2 weeks apart).
By that time we will probably be living in Newcastle, so MHB will be not only my regular supplier, but also my local HB shop.
warra48

Postby emnpaul » Thursday May 02, 2013 9:03 pm

warra48 wrote:By that time we will probably be living in Newcastle, so MHB will be not only my regular supplier, but also my local HB shop.

And Emnpaul will be your neighbour. How nice. :D
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Return to Making beer