Replacing Dextrose in beer kits

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Replacing Dextrose in beer kits

Postby omagbemi » Sunday Mar 31, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi everybody,

This is my first post. I have been brewing wheat beer using the Coopers kit for some years. Now my wife asked me to brew the Pilsener from Coopers Selection range. I read that you have to add 300 grams Dextrose. Is there any way I can avoid/substitute Dextrose? Maybe by adding more malt?

Cheers,
Edward
omagbemi

Re: Replacing Dextrose in beer kits

Postby SaazGorilla » Monday Apr 01, 2013 8:20 am

Hi, omagbemi.

I add dried malt extract to my Coopers kits exclusively (the Thomas Coopers range mostly). I have been thinking of switching to liquid malt extract this season in order to see the difference. I've found that 1.5 kg of dried extract gives the beer a little more body and brings the booze up to around 5%.
Beers of great men all remind us, we can make our life sublime
SaazGorilla

Postby Oliver » Monday Apr 01, 2013 11:22 am

Hi and welcome, Edward.

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the Making beer forum, particularly Simple things that make HB better.

It is possible, but difficult, to make a true lager with a kit. You need to be scrupulous with cleanliness, use a true lager yeast and ferment at very low temperatures (9C-12C) to get that clean, crisp lager taste. Brewing at a higher temperature will result in a beer that's more fruity and like an ale.

Basically all adding dextrose will do is increase the alcohol content. If you want to add body to the beer then add, say, 500g dextrose and 500g of light dried malt. (Or use the recommended Coopers Brew Enhancer with the can of pilsner.)

Depending how it turns out you can adjust the amounts next time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Tipsy » Saturday Apr 20, 2013 10:40 pm

omagbemi wrote:I read that you have to add 300 grams Dextrose. Is there any way I can avoid/substitute Dextrose? Maybe by adding more malt?

I reckon this is one kit where you should try the Coopers suggestion first, same with the European Lager. I think the small amount of dextrose does help with impression of dryness/crispness.
All malt is all flavour but too much can make it sweet.
Tipsy

Return to Making beer