When should I pick these hops?

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

When should I pick these hops?

Postby geoffclifton » Sunday Feb 22, 2015 1:17 pm

This hop vine is in its second year and has a lot of small hops which are just starting to brown on the edges and have some yellow pollen between the scales. The variety is unknown apart from -
Seed originated from Canada about 20 years ago. 3 plants survived - and were given to others in different areas to grow on. Since then they have proliferated and YES they are used for beer making quite successfully
They were named the W-tree hops.

geoffclifton

Re: When should I pick these hops?

Postby earle » Monday Feb 23, 2015 11:15 am

This http://youtu.be/TlsT-x19III seems to be quite helpful. Yesterday I picked 2 4L ice cream containers off my cluster bine.
earle

Re: When should I pick these hops?

Postby geoffclifton » Monday Feb 23, 2015 12:40 pm

Great video thanks Earle. I thought my hops were way too small but only a little smaller than in the video.
Now how should I keep them and add to them over the next couple of weeks as the rest ripen and then how to store until needed?
We are moving in a few weeks so I'm going to dig them up. Should be a lot of rhizomes for trading :)
geoffclifton

Return to Making beer