Hop filters etc.

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Hop filters etc.

Postby Autonomous Collective » Friday Dec 25, 2015 2:25 pm

OK team. I'm getting very frustrated trying to find a suitable size basket to use as a hop filter to use in a 120L pot. I've had prices from all over the planet and have even looked at building my own however, equally I really like my hops to be able to circulate throughout the wort unrestricted.

I'm now considering using the swirl method to prevent any hops or other trub getting from the boil kettle out of the drain and into my plate chiller. Does anyone have any experience of this at all? I've been doing some reading and understand the physics and principles involved I'm just curious if this is an efficient methodology. I plan to build a dam in front of the outlet also to help prevent suck at the debris pile, much like the SS brew tech boil kettles. I have the equipment to drive a large paddle to create the necessary vortex.

Anyone tried this?
Autonomous Collective

Re: Hop filters etc.

Postby drsmurto » Monday Dec 28, 2015 2:58 pm

Beerbelly hopscreen is what I've been using for 8 years. Works perfectly when combined with a vigorous whirlpool to settle the trub into a cone in the middle of the pot. Never had hops get into the plate chiller using this method.
drsmurto

Return to Making beer