Airlock not bubbling

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Airlock not bubbling

Postby bilgerat » Saturday Jul 09, 2016 12:21 pm

My first post here for a while Im just getting back into brewing after a hiatus of a year or so.

I have a choc/oatmeal stout in a new fermenter and the airlock isnt bubbling, however there is a nice bubbly looking crust at the top of the brew, I recently made another brew in this new fermenter and had the same problem, there was no bubbling from the airlock however that brew turned out reasonably well, my other fermenter has a brew in it that is bubbling away nicely ?

I have swapped lids on these fermenters to see if the rubber seal the cause of the problem and I have put a heater under the fermenter that isn't bubbling, but nothing has changed, the yeast I used in the stout brew is Wyeast 1084 Ale yeast

The SG has dropped from 1050 to 1033 in two days I just don't understand why it isn't bubbling?

Any suggestions appreciated
Bilgerat.
bilgerat

Re: Airlock not bubbling

Postby barls » Saturday Jul 09, 2016 7:45 pm

don't worry about the airlock. its dropped in gravity so id be happy. look for the other signs of fermentation.
the krausen and change in clarity and most importantly the gravity to drop
barls

Postby lethaldog » Saturday Jul 09, 2016 8:01 pm

If there's action I wouldn't be concerned, obviously just a dodgy seal!
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby bilgerat » Saturday Jul 09, 2016 8:09 pm

OK thanks for the replies.
bilgerat

Return to Making beer