Common question: My brew is not fermenting

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Postby Jeff » Tuesday May 16, 2006 7:23 am

Hi there,

I put down a european style lager with a brewkit #62 - not sure of the name but it has saaz hops. I used a Coopers lager as the base but knowing (from these pages) it had a lager yeast I scratched around and found a morgans yeast packet. This recommended temps in the 15-30 degree range

Not sure whether this was a lager or ale yeast, I added half of the Coopers yeast in addition. Fermentation began on day 2 at 18 degrees but stopped on day three at 16 degrees. I have since started up the heat pad and now have 20 degrees but no sign fermentation has re-started.

Should I add another yeast pack? If the yeast has died early, will it affect the taste of the beer or just the strength.

Ta for any help
Life is too short to drink crap
Jeff

Postby ex0ja » Tuesday May 16, 2006 1:20 pm

Jeff wrote:I used a Coopers lager as the base but knowing (from these pages) it had a lager yeast

The Coopers Lager has an ale yeast though :?

If the Morgans yeast recommends 15-30 degrees then it must be an ale yeast too.

I've had brews ferment for only a day and they turned out fine. I'd wait a few more days with the temp at 18 degrees and keep checking the SG. If the SG sticks around 1010 then fermentation is probably complete. If you check the SG and it is at 1030 or something much higher than 1010 then it might be an idea to chuck in another packet of yeast.
ex0ja

Postby Jeff » Tuesday May 16, 2006 4:29 pm

Yeah sorry, I meant to say I knew the yeast with the Coopers lager was an ale yeast.
I'll check the gravity and add more ale yeast if its too high
Life is too short to drink crap
Jeff

Postby halminator » Monday Jun 19, 2006 7:32 pm

Thanks for the sticky. Been worrying about the latest brew of stout (which is my first stout) for the past 24hours. After reading through the sticky and doing a few searches, I'm no longer about to do something I probably would have regretted!!
Cheers!

Hal.
halminator

Postby chum » Thursday Jul 20, 2006 5:10 pm

I started by ESB freshwort hoegaarden clone about 3 days ago. Very tiny yeast sediment and very little frothing. I went down to the HSB to get some more of the same yeast and I actually rehydrated it in half a cup of water at 30 degrees. When i opened up the fermentor I realised why it wasnt bubbling away: alot of the yeast I put in originally was stuck the foam that was made wheni gave the wort a stir. It didnt actually sink down into the wort.

Next time I will always rehydrate beforehand and pitch the yeast in liquid to ensure I actually submerses in the wort.
chum

Postby hbman » Friday Dec 08, 2006 12:06 pm

i was having troubles with one of my airlocks so i tip a cup of water on top of the lid to my vat causing a pressure lock i use it on both vats now and sit back and listen to the homebrew airlock orchestra
hbman

Re-assurance

Postby the_fuzz » Monday Dec 25, 2006 9:03 am

Hi Guys,

I've been going over the forums for about a week now and I must say, without the forums I would be lost - so firstly a big congrats to everyone who makes this possible,

I am a complete noob at this - which is slightly embarrasing when my dad is one of the head honcho's for Tooheys (I know that name doesn't sit to well around here........) :oops:

Anyone, I have just put down my first batch of Ale, I put it down about 32 hours ago - there is no bubbles at all coming thrgh the airlock, however there is a vast amount of "head" on top of the brew.

The original SG was 1048 and now it's 1039 - so there is definately something going on. There is also bubbles in the beer.

I just want some assurance I suppose that even tho there is no bubbling - I am still on track to drink my own homemade beer goodness.
Last edited by the_fuzz on Monday Dec 25, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
the_fuzz

Postby lethaldog » Monday Dec 25, 2006 9:18 am

If all the signs are there then it should be fine, some lids and airlocks dont seal airtight but are still fine for brewing, if this worries you then you can always change the seals for your next batch :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Oliver » Thursday Dec 28, 2006 7:11 pm

Hi the_fuzz,

Welcome to the wonderful world of homebrewing.

If you read this thread carefully, you'll see you probably haven't got anything to worry about and that your beer is progressing well.

Happy brewing.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby the_fuzz » Friday Dec 29, 2006 11:32 am

Oliver wrote:Hi the_fuzz,

Welcome to the wonderful world of homebrewing.

If you read this thread carefully, you'll see you probably haven't got anything to worry about and that your beer is progressing well.

Happy brewing.

Oliver

Cheers Mate,

This site has been a blessing for my home brew adventure - I'm about to bottle my first brew - and so far it tastes pretty good.

Cheers
Michael
the_fuzz

Postby gibbocore » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 7:32 pm

Hey everyone, noob question #1097309721340987

My brew has been brewing along nicely since saturday, but i forgot to take a OG reading, the brewcraft calculator tells me it should have been 1038 and i should expect a final gravity of 1006 for 4.9%. now the problem is that my airlock has stopped bubbling and there is very little pressure coming pushing back on it and i got a reading tonight of 1012, all action seemes to have ceased, will i get a lower reading if i leave it longer? or hve i buggered it. Also i plan on kegging this batch and i'm going to clear it and add finnings, do i have to wait untill i aquire 1006 or will it continue to ferment after i tranfer it into a clearing pail?

thanks!
gibbocore

Postby OldBugman » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 7:36 pm

check your lid hasnt loosened off.
OldBugman

Postby Pale_Ale » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 7:37 pm

That's pretty quick, I'm guessing you're brewing in warmer weather?

If you don't think it's brewed out, just give the fermenter a shake, and leave for another few days. You will only make it better by leaving it in there longer.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby gibbocore » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 7:40 pm

yeah it started at 27 degrees and i've been able to get it to stay stagnant at 24 for 3 day's now, should i tray and make it cooler?

thanks for the quick response also guy's, i can see this forum being a valuable resource!
gibbocore

Postby rwh » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 7:42 pm

Most of my beers finish around that level. So I wouldn't be too concerned. I think only one of my 27 brews has got below 1.010.
w00t!
rwh

Postby gibbocore » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 7:44 pm

so how do i work out how alcoholic it is then? or do i accept the 4%?
gibbocore

Postby rwh » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 7:45 pm

If you don't have an OG, you can't work out how alcoholic it is. But If it's a kit and kilo, it'll be somewhere around the 4.5-5% mark.
w00t!
rwh

Postby gibbocore » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 7:49 pm

cool, i used the brewcraft calculator, i used a brewcraft munich lager kit with brewblend enhancer #15 and it gave me the estimated OG.

Cheers!
gibbocore

Postby gibbocore » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 8:25 pm

in addition, even though the hydrometer say's my beer isnt ready can i accept 1012-1011 as being finished?
gibbocore

Postby gregb » Wednesday Jan 17, 2007 4:14 am

What was the OG, how long has it been stable at that gravity, what yeast did you use, what temp did you brew at, what were the ingredients.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

PreviousNext

Return to Making beer