Yeast Lag Times, Pitching Late etc

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Yeast Lag Times, Pitching Late etc

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Dec 22, 2004 10:16 pm

Ok folks,

As you know I have always been a big believer that pitchiung late or stuck fermentations will be OK.

I have had a recent change of heart, I have lost 15 gallons due to a longer lag time than I would have liked (This is the time it takes for the yeast to switch from its aerobic phase to anerobic and start to multiply). I have caught a nasty infection (bacterial) which makes it unquaffable and fit for the sink only.

I was using an older yeast and had chilled my all grain wort through the home made exchanger which is now sitting in the recyclibles (the thermenator is soon to arrive and I have postponed any additional all grain brewing until then)

What I believe has happened is on a previous batch I sucked in some trub or spent hops which jammed in the heat exchanger and became a harbour for bacteria. The ensuing batches would wash through the mat ( on the cold side) and then be innoculated. The lag time for the bacteria was less than the yeast and then guess what.

So, I think 24 hours with no activity is now going to become the rule for me. I have replaced the 15 gallons but there is a very good chance I will be drinking store bought for Christmas.

HO HO HO

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby thehipone » Friday Dec 31, 2004 12:50 pm

DO you use liquid yeast and starters?

If you don't , this is a good way to get a good quick start to fermentation since you're getting lots of yeast that have been actively fermenting in the pitching volume. Another thing to consider is the aeration, poor aeration could lead to slower yeast growth and easier growth of anaerobic bacteria that turn your brew into sour milk.

I guess it doesn't have to be liquid yeast, but starters and harvesting from starters can make a pack of white labs last for a lot of brews. I've made a number of brews using the London Ale as a "house" yeast, all from the same vial. Some showed airlock activity within a few hours.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.
thehipone

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Jan 01, 2005 5:08 am

The Hipone

Yes, I do use starters, I was concerned about the aeration (the lack there of) sticking the fermentation and I would bet dollars against doughnuts that this was part of the issue. The point is there was a bacterial infection somewhere as well which I have identified as being the chiller. The infection got going more rapidly (smaller lag) than the yeast there by contaminating the beer.

I am about twenty minutes away from being back on track

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Return to Making beer