New to brewing

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

New to brewing

Postby leamos » Monday Jan 10, 2005 4:00 pm

I just got a cooper's microbrew kit for xmas and started my first brew today, i have two questions 1) is a reading of 1.065 SG a normal reading to get at the start? 2) the kit says to keep the brew between 21 and 27 deg C i have it sitting at 25 in a cool celler (around 20 c even on the hottest day) with the aid of a "Brew belt" is that fine? I just read here on this site that lagers are best kept at 20 deg C. Thanks for all help you can give a young brewer.
leamos

Postby Robinelle » Monday Jan 10, 2005 6:50 pm

It's the old 80/20 rule. Provided your out by no more than 20%, you'll be 80% OK.

Your fine just keep asking questions and taking notes on what you do and you be OK.
Rob

With confidence speak up & have your say.
Appreciate, accept and look forward to being wrong.
While ever your learning, your forever young.
Robinelle

Postby Damo » Monday Jan 10, 2005 9:39 pm

Welcome to the world of homebrew leamos, and well done on coming to this site which is the best resource on the net in Australia for us guys and girls? that demand superb hand crafted beer.
Your sg readings will be diferent with almost every type of beer that you do. It just depends what you put into the beer. Think of the sg reading as measuring the density of the liquid. If you are making a low alcohol beer (god forbid) your sg reading will be lower because of the smaller amount of sugars that you are adding. If you are making a stronger style beer such as a stout your sg reading will be higher. The average sg reading for the average beer is around 1.040. A reading that you have 1.065 is for a strong beer aroung 6% alc/vol or more.
So obviosly you have a lot of malt in your recipe.

Your brew temp will depend on the type of yeast that you use and the type of beer that you are making. 25 c is fine but if you were to do a lager then a lower temp of 20 c or even lower is best. Once again brewing temp depends on the yeast that you use.

Hope this helps mate. and let us know how it is going ok. 8)
FOR A HARD EARNED THIRST THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A GOOD HOME BREW...
Damo

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Jan 10, 2005 10:28 pm

What ever you do don't worry. Worry has killed more brews than anything else. Oh yes one other thing. Have fun

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby mickey P » Monday Jan 10, 2005 11:50 pm

Hi Leamos,

I too got a microbrew this chrissy. Have my first brew sitting in bottles wating to condition.

the average temp of my fermenter was 20/ C fermentation took 8 days didn't see alot of action on the air lock so took g readings from the 5th day they were the same on the 6th and 7th day so left it one more for good measure, bottled it and now i just have to wait.

hopefully everything will be ok tasted it out of the fermenter and it did resemble beer. There are some great resources on the web this site is great here is a link i found really good too

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/links.htm

my advise is to sample as much as possible. :lol:
mickey P

Postby Solar » Tuesday Jan 11, 2005 8:45 pm

Hiyas,

Add me to the Leamos and mickey P group, i also got a coopers micro-brew kit for chrissy. I couldnt believe my wife bought it for me. When i attepmted to unpack it on the kitchen bench she shook her head and pointed to the garage, Lol i knew there was a catch... Alas no amount of "but Paul and Lisa brew in the kitchen on the video.." would sway her :P

Anyway my first brew has been fermenting for 4 days now. Here some data on my brew for you other n00bs.

OG 1050 / 26 C

then after..

1 day SG 1028 / 25 C
2 days SG 1020 / 25 C
3 days SG 1016 / 25 C
4 days SG 1012 / 26 C

Airlock was going berko for the first 2-3 days then slowed right down, havent seen it bubble in the last 24 hours but SG still falling. Its actually starting to taste like beer as well... woot!

Wish i'd found homebrewandbeer.com and this forum before i started, so much great info here.
Solar

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Jan 11, 2005 10:19 pm

Solar,

It sounds good,

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Wednesday Jan 12, 2005 11:07 am

go you newbies!

Welcome to the greatest pastime on earth, just get ready for all the free loaders who want to "help" you. If they really want to help give them a shopping list and send them to the nearest homebrew shop to buy the gear for next brew!!!
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby BPJ » Wednesday Jan 12, 2005 3:07 pm

All you guys one of eth most importtant things don't rush. If you botlte too early they'll explode. see http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=284
for prrof.

Don't always trust the airlock, many previous posts. As a general rule your SG should get to 1010 or less. unless you are brewing heavier styles

Keep up the good work. And let the beer condition for at least a few weeks, although a few early samples can't hurt if you're thirsty
BPJ
BPJ

Return to Making beer