Can I Save My Lager ?

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Can I Save My Lager ?

Postby BeerKiller » Sunday Jan 30, 2005 12:49 pm

I need some help with what to do about my lager
I did a Dutch lager kit( 500g LDM/500 Malto-Dextrin, hops and lager yeast)

It fermented @ 16-18 degrees for 5 days. When sg was 1020 (og 1036) I put it in my fridge and brought the temp down to 0-1 degrees over a 2 days. Been in 3 weeks sg= 1016(@ 1 degree)

I'm now led to believe I should have 1. let it ferment right out and given it a ?rest before putting it in the fridge and 2. brought the temp down much slower and 3. learnt a bit more about it before starting

My question is should I let it come back up to normal temp for a while before bottling to make sure it has finished fermenting and do the bottles get a week at room temp or the lager yeast temp ??10-14degrees?? to start secondary? and do bottles get stored cold (in fridge) or stored like an ale? to finish secondary.

Do you think it can be saved ?
Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

P.S. Pride prevents me from tipping it out :oops:
BeerKiller

Postby Oliver » Sunday Jan 30, 2005 2:56 pm

BeerKiller,

1016 doesn't seem low enough to me, so you might need to bring it up to temp again (and maybe even rouse (gently stir) to mix through some yeast to get it active).

If you assume 75% attenuation (i.e. 75% of the sugars consumed by the yeast), you should be aiming for around the 1009 mark. 1016 is only about 55% attenuation, which is not nearly enough.

But I doubt very much whether you'll live up to your name of beer killer in this case. Lifting the temp and rousing should do the trick.

I'm not too familiar with the finer details of lagering, unlike others here, so I'll hand over to them for answers to that.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby BeerKiller » Sunday Jan 30, 2005 6:41 pm

Cheers Oliver,
I Haven't really worried about that attenuation stuff yet, (thought it was only for the "mashers") but after looking at your sums I think I've got the point.
Thanks mate

P.S. I'm hoping to live up to my name if this lager works out for the best !!
BeerKiller

Return to Making beer