First Liquid Yeast

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

First Liquid Yeast

Postby Guest » Friday Feb 11, 2005 8:30 pm

I am currently in the process of culturing my first liquid yeast. I have started with Wyeast 1028 London. After a rocky start all appears to be going well now.

The instructions from Wyeast said to pop the satchel and leave it to swell for one day for each month past the packaged date. The packaged date on mine was Oct 04 so I figured I had 4 day for the yeast to activate and the package to swell. With this info l figured if I start it on Wednesday I would be finished on Sunday.

So I popped the yeast on Wednesday night and left to start, by Thursday morning the packet had fully swelled. I was not ready for this. I had no bottle to culture in (had to buy and drink two litres of coke Thursday night which I had planed to do over Thursday Friday Saturday). I made a starter and added the liquid yeast Thursday night and left it to start fermenting.

Next I had to go done to the local and sweet talk them for six empty stubbies to bottle the cultured yeast into once finished. I had planed to drink six new beers over Thursday Friday and Saturday.

Have it all in hand now though and will bottle cultured yeast tomorrow morning (Saturday).

Moral of the story have everything ready before you start something.

Postby Shaun » Friday Feb 11, 2005 8:32 pm

Above post was me I forgot to log in
Shaun

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Feb 11, 2005 10:10 pm

Shaun

Coke, what? beer store closed? :wink:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby r.magnay » Saturday Feb 12, 2005 7:21 am

Six beers three days! I'm confused, I hope a few homebrews topped that up!
Ross
r.magnay

Postby Shaun » Saturday Feb 12, 2005 12:24 pm

r.magnay that was the plan 6 stubbies of new beers washed down liberally with homebrew over 3 days, however due to the accelerated time frame things did not pan out the way I wanted.

Dogger you are not going to find any beer in a 2 - 3 litre bottle in any of the bottle shops near me. Closest you will get is a 2 litre flagon of port or sherry. Would of made culturing very interesting after having finishing of one of these :wink:
Shaun

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Feb 12, 2005 10:34 pm

Start leaning on the Beer Store, you need to get your paws on some Growlers

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Return to Making beer