Common question: Cooper's kit yeasts

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Postby Oliver » Monday Mar 27, 2006 4:14 pm

Nick,

I think they probably don't recommend this as some people would find the resulting beer too sweet and a bit heavy of body.

It can certainly be done, but it's just a question of results!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby NickMoore » Monday Mar 27, 2006 9:39 pm

ya, can be done ... but with more yeast.

starter or two packets.
NickMoore

forgive my ignorance....but

Postby BenH » Sunday Jul 09, 2006 9:33 pm

why do Coopers brand a HB kit as "Australian Lager" and then put ale yeast in it?
BenH

Postby JubJub » Wednesday Aug 09, 2006 3:22 pm

The Australian Lager is more the style of beer than whats in the kit. Most people that homebrew cannot brew down to 9-12*C which is the temperature you would use to obtain the crisp/dryer taste with less esters.

Jub.
JubJub

Postby Andy T » Thursday Apr 19, 2007 1:48 am

JubJub wrote:The Australian Lager is more the style of beer than whats in the kit. Most people that homebrew cannot brew down to 9-12*C which is the temperature you would use to obtain the crisp/dryer taste with less esters.

Are you saying if I put Coopers kit brew in my garage with temperature at the moment being around +10..+20 through the day ( will be even lower soon ) it would still brew Ok, possibly with even better result ? Why Coopers then do not just specify the lowest temp for the range as +10 or so ?

The reason I am asking is I think I would like to try brewing at a lower temp but at the same time try to stick to "for dummies" kind of stuff from the supermarket at the moment rather than HB shop ( not so much the place to buy it from but less hassle vs creativity until I get a hang of it ).
Andy T

Postby rwh » Thursday Apr 19, 2007 9:54 am

The reason they specify the higher temperatures is because it'll brew faster and there will be less lag time, and consequently less chance of infection.

For the Coopers ale yeast, I certainly wouldn't let the temp drop below 16°C at the absolute minimum. 18°C is ideal. Keep in mind that this is the wort temperature I'm talking about, not the environment.

The lager yeast should be brewed lower, in the 8-12°C range.

If you want to stick to easy stuff to start with, forget doing a lager for now and cut your teeth with the ales. If it's going to be too cold, get yourself a heat belt or heat pad.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Boonie » Wednesday May 02, 2007 12:58 pm

I posted this question on another also, then realised I probably should have posted here. :oops:

A yeast starter from a CPA or CSA, what temp should I brew at once I have "Re-grown" the yeast?

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby lethaldog » Wednesday May 02, 2007 3:19 pm

About 18*C :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday May 02, 2007 4:49 pm

Its been posted before but CPA is brewed at 16degC, i brewed mine at 18-20 but thats before i got my brew fridge.
drsmurto

Postby Boonie » Wednesday May 02, 2007 6:29 pm

Cheers Fellas

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Re: Common question: Cooper's kit yeasts

Postby matthew » Tuesday May 20, 2008 1:22 pm

It's been mentioned that some of the coopers yeast are an ale/lager blend with S-189.

Does anyone know what the ale yeast is in these blends?

Cheers
matthew

Postby rwh » Tuesday May 20, 2008 1:30 pm

Not specifically, but I would be extremely surprised if it's not the Coopers dry ale yeast.
w00t!
rwh

Postby matthew » Tuesday May 20, 2008 2:04 pm

If that's the case, what temp would I get away with the ale yeast remaining dormant and the lager yeast fermenting the wort. As high as 16C?

Cheers
matthew

Postby rwh » Tuesday May 20, 2008 2:12 pm

I think you'd need to be below that, as Coopers ferment some of their beers that cold with their ale yeast. Probably below 15.
w00t!
rwh

Postby matthew » Tuesday May 20, 2008 2:18 pm

righto, i may as well just buy some 189 from Ross and use the coopers for nutrient.

Cheers
matthew

Postby Viceroy » Sunday Jan 18, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi all,

I recently bought a Coopers European Lager, however, with Cooper's tendancy to provide ale yeasts with their lagers, I was curious to know if the yeast with this particular can is actually a lager yeast (and therefore should be pitched at a lower temp) or an ale yeast?

Similarly, does anyone know what temp the Coopers Wheat Beer should be pitched at? And I assume it is a wheat yeast?

Thanks for your help,

Sam
Viceroy

Postby svyturys » Monday Jan 19, 2009 11:34 am

Sam,
I've read somewhere on this site that the European lager has a lager yeast with the tin. Could even be saflager by memory.
I did a Cooper's wheat beer for Xmas and it came out as a mighty fine drop.
I used Brew cellar Wheat beer yeast, Cellar plus Wheat malt mix, dry hopped with liberty hops (12g pellets infused for 15 mins and added two days before bottling.
Pitched the yeast @ 23 C in a fermenter topped to 21 litres.
Cheers

Yep, just checked and the first post on this thread summarises all the coopers yeasts.
"In the beginning was the wort..."
svyturys

Postby Tipsy » Monday Jan 19, 2009 12:28 pm

Viceroy wrote:I was curious to know if the yeast with this particular can is actually a lager yeast (and therefore should be pitched at a lower temp)

You would want to pitch this yeast above fermenting temp as I think it is only a 7g packet which wouldn't be enough for a cold pitch
Tipsy

Postby gregb » Tuesday Apr 13, 2010 2:37 pm

Handy bit of info from Anna in this thread.

Anna wrote:From the Coopers' guy in response to my question about strange numbers instead of use-by dates on kit yeast packets:

"The code on the yeast sachet is a Julian Date, representing the date that the yeast was packaged rather than a “Use By” or “Best Before” date. e.g. a sachet with 25007 was packaged on the 7th of September, which is the 250th day of 2007. While the can of home brew containing this yeast sachet may have been produced on Thursday the 13th of September 2007, carrying a Best Before date of 13/09/09."

Think I'd better check the 3 kits I bought on the weekend. (Off to Google now to find a conversion chart...)

.... Anna
gregb

Previous

Return to Making beer