Exciting Times, New Products

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Exciting Times, New Products

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Sep 28, 2004 8:39 am

Well folks

What a weekend for Dogger, Big Excitment, I had a big drive to get my fresh grains (if anyone followed that thread) to make up a nice Porter. And guess what, isn't there two new products available to me at my other brew place. The first I am really excited about and that is liquid yeasts. Sure I have heard of them even seen them in the smack pack but this group is different. This is made by an outfit called White Labs. They have a web page at http://www.whitelabs.com/. Take a look. The nice thing is you can propogate it so the 10 bucks cost can be fined down. I was a little worried as it took a while to fire up but that may have been more the beer kit (to follow)

The other is an all grain beer kit. Check it out at http://www.rgspagnols.com. I used to work for these guys while I was going to school and they took some good ideas from me regarding beer making. Their big claim to fame is wine but being me I thought I'd give them a whirl on the beer, no hard feelings. As you know I wanted a Porter so I took their Cream Ale and made some good additions to it (They are cheap so it likely needed a bit of help anyway) It is bubbling away and I think good things will happen. On a down note regarding this kit they obviously have had some problems with shelf life and pH so they have made it acidic and thrown in a pH balance kit that you mix in prior to pitching (Don't forget it or it will be absolute kife). I am a bit worried as they don't take into account pH of your water but as you are only adding 8 Litres to make this kit up it won't be enough to make the changes for good or bad.

It had issues getting going so I added a yeast enzyme mixture to help out and kept my fingers crossed. Normally I pitch another yeast at the same time but all I had was dried Coopers and I didn't want to piss away a 10 dollar liquid yeast. This did the trick and it has fired up right nice, of course I could be running a wilder but I don't think so.

Ok all, I hope everyone has a good week and I will keep you posted on the outcomes

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Return to Making beer