Accidently chucked the hops in the fermenter

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Accidently chucked the hops in the fermenter

Postby Oats » Friday Oct 01, 2004 1:37 pm

Hi Guys,
Well in an attempt to get several fermenters going at once (a pale ale, a cider and a Pilsner) and having a few home brews at the same time.....i think i may have stuffed up the Pilsner. :(
I added 30g of Saaz hop's pellets to some boiling water and instead of straining it into the fermenter i just dumped it all in!
Consequently i have a fermenter that smells very hoppy!
Have i stuffed this batch up or will it be ok????? :lol:

Once i realised what i had done i thought "fiddle dee dee" and just pitched the yeast and stuck the lid on and left it!

Any suggestions (apart from the excessive consumption of homebrew whilst making beers CAN lead to trouble) :oops:
Cheers
Adam
Oats

Postby gregb » Friday Oct 01, 2004 5:45 pm

Refer to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy: "Don't Panic"

One of my brewing books says that the lumpy bits of the hops will sink to the bottom of the bucket and not make it to the bottle.

Should be ok, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Drinking whilst brewing, I tried it once, but forgot to prime the bottles that time, so it was lesson learned.
gregb

Postby Oliver » Friday Oct 01, 2004 9:09 pm

Should be fine. All you've done is a variation on dry hopping, which is what many British brewers do.

You'll just end up with quite a floral beer.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Oct 01, 2004 9:09 pm

I never strain out my hops. They will sink to the bottom of the primary and then you can leave them behind when you transfer to the secondary. MMMMM hops, can't have enough.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Oats » Saturday Oct 02, 2004 1:09 pm

Thanks Guys,

Thought Id done something really wrong! All fairly new to me at this stage. But i love the fact that I can tailor make a Brew that suits my drinking habits/preferences!

Did a copy of Olivers cider but added 2Lt of Apple & Pear juice instead of raw apples and the guy at the HBS suggested Champagne yeast....from day1 its been bubbling away like mad....at a constant 21C.

On Recipes...does anyone have a tried and true recipe for CORONA?
My missus loves em but we just cant afford to buy them so if I can do a batch thats similar would be great!!

Cheers
Adam
Oats

Postby dab123 » Saturday Oct 02, 2004 9:57 pm

:shock: Blimey !! Oats , starting 3 brews off at once after a few Bevys.
you certainly are tempting the gods.
I had near on a heart attack doing my first single brew, and that without even a sniff of the proverbial.
Good luck mate . dab.
dab123

Return to Making beer