$1.99 Wander Premium Lager

Spread the word about cheap beer, or homebrewing equipment and supplies. Found something of interest on eBay? Post it here.

$1.99 Wander Premium Lager

Postby flosso » Tuesday May 24, 2005 2:08 pm

Safeway at QV in Melbourne currently has a few Wander Premium Lager kits for the princely sum of $1.99.

The used by date is 9th May 05 (not that I'm complaining but isn't it illegal to sell out-of-date stock?), so I figure just throw out the yeast supplied and use a Saflager instead.

No idea where Wander ranks in terms of quality but I figure for $2 you can't go wrong.
flosso

Re: $1.99 Wander Premium Lager

Postby Wimmig » Tuesday May 24, 2005 3:56 pm

flosso wrote:Safeway at QV in Melbourne currently has a few Wander Premium Lager kits for the princely sum of $1.99.

The used by date is 9th May 05 (not that I'm complaining but isn't it illegal to sell out-of-date stock?), so I figure just throw out the yeast supplied and use a Saflager instead.

No idea where Wander ranks in terms of quality but I figure for $2 you can't go wrong.

For the price of $1.99, you can't get much better! Chuck the supplied yeast, and run the saflager and all will be fine and dandy.

You are correct about out of date stock in terms of sales. It is illegal to sell products passed their use-by date in a retail setting, regardless of signs posted or customer informing.
Wimmig

Postby Tony » Tuesday May 24, 2005 4:02 pm

Depends whether it's "use by" or "best before":

past Use by = cannot sell
past Best before = can sell

(Spent far too long managing the development of retail grocery systems)

Tony
Tony

Postby flosso » Tuesday May 24, 2005 5:09 pm

Very astute Tony - it is actually BEST BEFORE 9th May 2005
flosso

Postby guest » Friday May 27, 2005 10:52 am

A few supermarkets seem to be getting rid of HB stock at the moment- Safeway St Kilda & Prahran, & Coles Balaclava & Prahran, are all doing Coopers kits for $6.99- $7.99, and throwing out Coopers brew enhancer packs for $1.80. I bought 8 packs of enhancer (4 x no. 1, & 4 x no. 2) & a few Pale Ale & lager kits...fill yer boots for winter boys!

Though in the long run it may not be such a good thing for kit HBers if the big chains don't stock them. Anyone else noticed this in their local stores?

Postby Oliver » Friday May 27, 2005 11:07 am

Thanks for the tip. I'll head down to Balaclava Coles tomorrow morning and stock up.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby flosso » Friday May 27, 2005 12:05 pm

Guest,

Do the range of Coopers on special include the international series - ie, Bavarian Lager, Canadian Blonde etc. If so it may be worth the trip from the city to pick some up.
flosso

Postby Oliver » Friday May 27, 2005 11:49 pm

Went to Balaclava Safeway today and got a Cooper's Draught kit on special for $8.99.

Then headed to Balaclava Coles. Unfortunately there wasn't much of a sale on. Saved about 30c on Coopers brew enhancer ($4.89 for No.2 and $3.99 for No.1), but stocked up on a Cooper's Dark Ale ($8.89), Pale Ale ($10.78) and Bavarian Lager (also $10.78).

(Canadian Blonde was also $10.78.)

Looks like I missed the big savings :cry: but I'll still have enough to keep me going for a while.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Guest aka Cheapskate » Saturday May 28, 2005 8:49 am

Guest,

Do the range of Coopers on special include the international series - ie, Bavarian Lager, Canadian Blonde etc. If so it may be worth the trip from the city to pick some up.

Flosso- in a word, no. They were all still in the $10-12 range from memory.

Oliver, sorry you missed out.
Guest aka Cheapskate

Return to Bargain bin