Beer Lao

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Beer Lao

Postby Dave » Thursday Feb 17, 2005 12:31 pm

I just got back from a trip through SE Asia and came across an excellent brew the locals call Beer Lao. It's about 6% alcohol with a nice clean flavour. Carlsberg bought the brewery thinking they could improve the process and found couldn't. I would LOVE to know where to get it in Australia. I found one supplier in NZ. I saw a slab of the stuff in the airport duty free shop for $10 US, but couldn't buy it as it exceeds the maximum duty free limit in Australia. Most of the stuff over there is pretty average but Beer Lao is truly outstanding.

Anyone who knows where this can be bought in Oz, preferably Melbourne or Victoria please let me know.
Dave

Beer Lao

Postby Hoth » Wednesday Feb 23, 2005 12:50 pm

Try Box Hill. There's a bottle shop on station street where I purchased some Singha from Thailand. I didn't look for Lao but it's worth a try. Also have a look around Springvale as I'm sure there'd be a supplier there.
Hoth

Postby Geoff » Thursday Feb 24, 2005 8:57 am

I went to Laos a few years back and can confirm that it is a magnificent beer. It's also a great t-shirt, I met a guy whose entire wardrobe consisted of Beer Lao t-shirts in different colours. I've never seen Beer Lao in Australia (or anywhere else in the world for that matter), but I'd be very interested if anyone was able to track some down.

Geoff
Geoff

Postby Dave » Thursday Feb 24, 2005 10:52 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I've email Acland Cellars to see if they can get it. If so I'll let you know.

It is an excellent t-shirt. I bought 3.
Dave

Return to The beer you buy