Saazing it up!

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Saazing it up!

Postby Anna » Friday Jun 25, 2010 11:05 am

Helped my sister move on the weekend and whilst cleaning out the fridge, lo and behold - a couple of bottles of "boutiquey" beers forgotten in the door. So of course I had to try them:

1. Barons Lager - O....K.... so that's what a good hit of Saaz tastes like! :x Too much for my virginal taste I'm afraid. Couldn't finish the bottle - went down the sink. :x :x (Apologies to all you Saaz lovers) Checked it out on Google to see what others had to say about it. I just don't get the "clean, crisp finish" thing - tastes oily to me.

2. Okocim Premium Pils - had to Google this one also 'cause the label was all in Polish. Better - much lighter Saaz taste. First glass was rather nice, but I couldn't drink any more in one go. Have to finish it tonight. OH wouldn't have a bar of it (I'll have to sub a glass of the Barons for his HB when he's not looking, just to see his face! :mrgreen: ).

At least now I know what Saaz tastes like (and know not to use it !).

Anna
Anna

Re: Saazing it up!

Postby Bizier » Saturday Jun 26, 2010 11:27 pm

One "saaz-y" beer I tasted recently was the CZ beer Bakalar, imported by Barons. This was the freshest tasting CZ pils I have had to date, and at a very decent price. I was very happy with this beer, because most reputable Czech beers here are stale by the time I taste them, this had a great hoppy zing to it.

I am not a huge fan of the Barons Lager, but their ESB is my go-to beer when I am buying a six pack or more.
Bizier

Return to The beer you buy