brewedunderlicencefreemarch.blogspot.com/

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

brewedunderlicencefreemarch.blogspot.com/

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jan 26, 2011 12:56 pm

All,

Many of you will recall these threads:
Beer fraud - letter to the ACCC
Peroni now BUL

Well, Anthony D'Anna is outraged, too, and has started a movement against brewed-under-licence beers in general and BUL Peroni in particular. I can only congratulate him, urge you to visit his blog and hope that you join him in his noble cause and stop drinking BUL beers.

Cheers,

Oliver

http://brewedunderlicencefreemarch.blogspot.com

... to my dismay, a few weeks ago, I ordered my favourite beer in the world, a Peroni from an Italian restaurant wanting to start the evening off on a good note. However when I tried the Peroni it tasted different. More like drinking a Crown Lager than the Peroni I have come to love.

Bizarre! How can a Peroni made and brewed in Italy taste like Crown Lager? Well after examining the bottle, it was revealed that this had been brewed under Licence by Coca Cola! What shocked me is that I had no idea that my favourite beer in the world, is now made in Australia!! I felt cheated, like I had caught my wife in bed with another man!!

... If I want to buy Peroni, I want Peroni. Not a beer brewed in Australia, using Australian water.

#brewedunderlicencefreemarch is about drinking your imported beer of choice, from the country which it has originated from. So Kirin from Japan, Stella from Belgium, Becks from Germany and most importantly Peroni from Italy.
Oliver
Administrator

Re: brewedunderlicencefreemarch.blogspot.com/

Postby lob » Wednesday Jan 26, 2011 3:43 pm

20 mins on Photoshop. 1 Min to open a store at cafePress:

http://www.cafepress.com.au/BUL
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Postby lob » Thursday Jan 27, 2011 4:28 pm

In case anyone is wondering, the T-Shirts are "at cost", I make no profit (though I bet CafePress make a tidy one.)

How's this for a T-Shirt Idea:

a Pic of smashed stubbies of Becks, Stella, etc, on concrete, with the words underneath:

How to Swindle Stupid Aussies in 4 easy steps
1. Pay European Beer Company for Exclusive rights to their Brand Name
2. Brew cheap Aussie Beer
3. Place Euro Label on Cheap Aussie Beer. (With for stupid legal reasons "Brewed Under License..." in really, really small print on the label somewhere hard to find)
4. Sell your Aussie made Heineken, Stella, Becks, Peroni, etc, and watch the $$$$$ roll in. Laugh all the way to the Bank. Stupid Aussies.
lob

Postby lob » Saturday Jan 29, 2011 4:45 am

Call me Paranoid, but my T-Shirt is gone from CafePress! When I log into my account I can still see the T-Shirt but with PENDING written under it. I've sent them an email....probably just an admin error : )

(Luckily I ordered one yesterday, and I got an email saying it's been posted.)
lob

Postby lob » Saturday Jan 29, 2011 5:15 am

Just checked my email:

"Images Pended: 50345088,50344453
Thank you for using CafePress.com!
As you may know, CafePress.com provides a service to a rich and vibrant community of
international users. From time to time, we review the content in our shopkeepers accounts
to confirm that the content being used in connection with the sale of products are in
compliance with our policies, including our Content Usage Policy (CUP).
We recently learned that your CafePress.com account contains material which may not be in
compliance with our policies. Specifically, designing, manufacturing, marketing and/or
selling products that may infringe the rights of a third party, including, copyrights (e.g.,
an image of a television cartoon character), trademarks (e.g., the logo of a company),
"rights in gross" (e.g., the exclusive right of the U.S. Olympic Committee to use the
"Olympic Rings"), and rights of privacy and publicity (e.g., a photo of a celebrity)
are prohibited."

Wankers. Shows that they're worried though....

Must get started on the "how to swindle stupid Aussies in 4 easy steps" t-shirt.
lob

Postby Bum » Saturday Jan 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Lob, it is a blatant breach of Copyright issue. What do you think they should do? There's no conspiracy. No one is "worried" about the world shaping power of your t-shirt.
Bum

Postby lob » Saturday Jan 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Rubbish, you can "borrow" a product so long as it's for parody, humor, etc. The image of the bottle of Peroni was integral to the message. I wasn't taking their product (which they paid lots of Euros for) and selling "Peroni T-Shirts", I was selling (at cost) anti-BUL T-Shirts. Important difference. A good example would be the Downfall parody videos on YouTube. All perfectly legal, even though the director of the original film is somewhat pissed off.
lob

Postby warra48 » Saturday Jan 29, 2011 4:56 pm

I'm sympathetic to your efforts, lob, but I think the use of Registered Trade Names in point 4 is probably what caused them to pull your effort.

Maybe if you did it again without the use of proprietory brand names, you'll probably get away with it.

Keep up the good work!
warra48

Postby Bum » Saturday Jan 29, 2011 5:09 pm

There is no parody, lob. You're essentially saying "Don't buy this product and here is a picture of the exact thing you shouldn't buy so you don't get confused." That isn't parody in any way, shape or form.

But perhaps the BUL system is a parody?
Bum

Postby lob » Saturday Jan 29, 2011 5:47 pm

What, not funny? The T-Shirt was posted by CafePress to me before it was pulled. And you're wrong, it would have been a complaint from one of the many wankers in the industry who keep an eye on these threads. Also, a single T-Shirt worn frequently to pubs could educate/enlighten 100s of people. If 1000 people wear such T-Shirts the number of people buying these Nothmead Lagers is going to diminsh substantially. I can't wait to wear this T-Shirt to the Uni Pub in Canberra where they have Northmead Lager ["Peroni"] on tap. I'll be sitting there drinking Coopers Pale, trying my hardest to contain my laughter, and not spill beer everywhere.

(I think for the next T-Shirt I'll substitute "Aussie Drinkers" for "Stupid Aussies" - Though the latter is closer to the attitude/contempt shown towards beer drinkers in Australia.)

lob

Postby lob » Sunday Jan 30, 2011 6:16 am

Alrighty, point taken. Some of my ideas for BUL protest T-Shirts are a bit over the top : )

How's this (Draft) for a watered down, less offensive, T-Shirt, with a link to a webpage here (at homebrewandbeer.com) listing BUL "Imports" and Fake Regional beers?

lob

Postby warra48 » Sunday Jan 30, 2011 10:11 am

I think that should work.

You are avoiding specific breweries or brand names, so I'd say the reason (my guess) for the objection should be overcome.
warra48

Return to The beer you buy