Which new beer for my local?

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Postby Oliver » Monday Dec 19, 2011 8:26 am

I need your help ...

My local has five taps: Coopers Pale Ale, Mountain Goat Hightail Ale, Little Creatures Bright Ale, Carlton Draught and Bulmer's Cider. So I can't complain about that.

They also have a reasonable selection of other craft/interesting bottled beers such as Moo Brew Pale Ale; Kooinda Pale Ale; Emerson's Pilsner; Coopers Pale Ale, Sparkling Ale and Best Extra Stout; White Rabbit Dark and White; and Little Creatures Pale Ale. You get the picture.

The issue I have is that they don't often get anything new in and I've been on the guy's back for a while to get some new beers.

His inaction (which is understandable given the demands of running a pub) spurred me to offer to buy three cases of beer for him, which he agreed to. On the weekend I bought some Knappstein Reserve Lager and Murray's Whale Ale from Dan Murphy's.

There wasn't really anything else there that grabbed me that he didn't already have.

So the question is, what should the third beer be? The only caveats really are that it can't be too pricey and it can't be too out there. i.e. it needs to be something that's going to sell.

I had been thinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or even a Brewdog Punk IPA. But they've already got quite a few pale ales and IPAs.

I am still considering the Hargreaves Hill ESB, and probably would have bought that if it'd been at Dan's.

It's a "foody pub", if that helps imagine what might be appropriate.

What to do?

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Re: Which new beer for my local?

Postby chadjaja » Monday Dec 19, 2011 8:51 am

Bit short on lagers for summer and a clean beer to go with some sorts of food. I'm sure Marcus at Thunder Road would be all too happy to get a keg of Full Steam to go on tap. Local Melbourne micro that should be supported imo.
chadjaja

Postby Oliver » Monday Dec 19, 2011 9:48 am

Fair point about the easy-drinking lagers for summer.

I'm not sure the pub would be willing to get rid of any of their taps. Is Thunder Road available in bottles? The website isn't clear.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby chadjaja » Monday Dec 19, 2011 9:59 am

Nope only kegged beer. Boys aren't doing bottles apart from the growlers and even then its only the Brunswick bitter.
chadjaja

Postby bullfrog » Monday Dec 19, 2011 3:30 pm

A good wheat beer goes down well with a variety of different food types. Perhaps think along those lines?
bullfrog

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Dec 20, 2011 7:35 am

Hi Bullfrog,

The Whale Ale is actually an American wheat beer. Great minds think alike ;-) (or fools never differ :? ).

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to The beer you buy