Grand Ridge Brewery Beers

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Grand Ridge Brewery Beers

Postby cavanor » Wednesday Jun 14, 2006 6:44 pm

I recently purchased the mixed six pack they offer and would like to know other peoples opinions on the beers. Personally I think I've made better brews with K&K and partials. Out of the six I tried the only one I really liked was their black and tan.
cavanor

Postby corks » Thursday Jun 15, 2006 11:20 am

i loved the stout, shame it was a tad costly

moonshine went well with a roast too.
corks

Postby cavanor » Thursday Jun 15, 2006 7:59 pm

Unfortunately the shines don't come in the mixed six pack as I was interested in trying them.
cavanor

Postby corks » Friday Jun 16, 2006 10:46 pm

if you can find the supershine, try that. i've never found it, but a mate has. liquid roast lamb and gravy was the description he put foward. but yeah, got some others in the fridge now, must try soon.
corks

Postby anti-fsck » Tuesday Jun 27, 2006 12:57 pm

The supershine is definitely the after-dinner mint of the Grand Ridge line-up. I've never been able to finish a whole stubby of it.
If anyone's interested in day-tripping to the brewery (Mirboo North, Gippsland, Victoria, a long, long, long way from Dogger and his pony) I'm interested in dibs on a bar stool. You can get a 20kg bag of spuds for $5, too ...
imbibo caveo ne canis morsus vos
http://antifsck.dyndns.org
anti-fsck

Postby Sathias » Friday Jul 14, 2006 2:20 pm

I tried their Hoegaarden style wheat beer, I thought it was horrible. I haven't tried the others as a result, maybe I should give em a go. I did get a really nice glass stein with their logo on it with em though, so it wasnt all bad :)
Sathias

Postby mullet » Tuesday Jul 18, 2006 7:39 pm

corks wrote:if you can find the supershine, try that. i've never found it, but a mate has. liquid roast lamb and gravy was the description he put foward. but yeah, got some others in the fridge now, must try soon.

that "mate" was me.

the guy who ran the cellar i bought it from said most people only ever bought a single, and normally didnt come back for a second.
it was drinkable, and certainly a bit of a novelty, being 11%, but i wouldnt want to invest (use that term quite literally) in a 6 pack.
now drinking - little creatures pale
mullet

Postby pacman » Sunday Jul 23, 2006 11:09 pm

Tried the Pale Ale earlier tonight.

Next time I am at Dan Murphys, I will ask the procedure for their money back guarantee.

Poured beer in to my glass tankard, sipped...., and blinked..., several times. Repeated procedure..., several times..., with the forlorn hope that taste would improve. It didn't! Disgusting! Finished up drinking the lot. No change!

What else does one do? Pour back in to stubbie, cap, and take back? Bit of a pain whatever the procedure. Won't be buying any more, that's for sure.

Out of sheer cussedness, I will confront Dan Murphy staff on my next visit for guidance.

Cracked a couple of Coopers Bavarian Lagers (with a somewhat fruity ale taste?) bottled 3 months ago today. Not my favourite HB, but better than Grand Ridge PA by a factor of several thousand!
Cheers,

Pacman
pacman

Postby pacman » Thursday Aug 10, 2006 10:51 pm

Just finishing the Grand Ridge Nut Brown Ale. Not much different to my HB Malt Shovel Twin Row Lager that I finished half an hour ago. Both good quality beers, but think my HB has the edge.

The Grand Ridge probably 2nd best of the 6 pack selection I bought, whilst my HB probably mid ranked amongst my dozen or more HBs.

Most noticeable difference was the cost - about $3 for the Grand Ridge 330ml bottle, and about $0.77 for my HB 500ml swingtop!

No wonder I am getting into HB!!!
Cheers,

Pacman
pacman

Postby lethaldog » Thursday Aug 10, 2006 11:16 pm

pacman wrote:Just finishing the Grand Ridge Nut Brown Ale. Not much different to my HB Malt Shovel Twin Row Lager that I finished half an hour ago. Both good quality beers, but think my HB has the edge.

The Grand Ridge probably 2nd best of the 6 pack selection I bought, whilst my HB probably mid ranked amongst my dozen or more HBs.

Most noticeable difference was the cost - about $3 for the Grand Ridge 330ml bottle, and about $0.77 for my HB 500ml swingtop!

No wonder I am getting into HB!!!

:lol: :lol: isnt HB great :lol: :lol:
lethaldog

Postby Pyssedas Heavy Industrial » Monday Aug 14, 2006 2:40 pm

As I may have posted here somewhere before a mate and i visited grand ridge last year and did a full tasting of all they had to offer - and i must admit that i am a fan of most of it

we bought a couple of supershines for travellers [luckily my wife was driving] and were nicely incoherent by the time we reached the end of the grand ridge road

a fair example of how incoherent we were was that my friend thought it sensible to leave his underpants in the public toilets at yarragon - apologies to anyone who has used these fine facilities since...

ps - anyone with land to sell on the grand ridge rd let me know - particularly if you want to sell it for less than its market value
For smaller, more nimble home-brewing advice visit us at: http://www.pyssedas.com/forum - huzzah!
Pyssedas Heavy Industrial

Postby blandy » Sunday Nov 05, 2006 10:38 am

As we speak I'm working my way through a Grand Ridge Brewers Pilsener. Good stuff :D :D :D . Really offensive in a good way :D :D :D
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby dragonphoenix73 » Saturday Apr 21, 2007 3:22 pm

I have seen 12 and 20 variety pacs for sale at the Cellar Door in Stratford. Haven't been there in some time... but I'm sure you can still get them.

Very pricey though.
Life is like a box of chocolates.... sometimes you get a hard one!
dragonphoenix73

Postby KEG » Sunday Nov 11, 2007 6:25 pm

Just drinking a "Natural Blonde" wheat beer now - apparently a belgian-style with hints of coriander etc.. more yellow than Hoegaarden (and less coriander-ey/citrus-ey) - but quite a tasty hot-day beer.

My favourite of theirs is definitely their "Moonshine" - a Dark Scotch Ale, 8.5%ABV. So very, very malty and tasty. Should have bought more than one bottle, but they're $5.50ea at my bottle-o :(

(note: i know this is an old thread - better to resurrect one to share my love of Moonshine than start another :P )
KEG

Postby earle » Monday Nov 12, 2007 8:27 am

Was at Dan Murphy's on the weekend. Picked up a few different beers to sample, with my wife helping me. She was in a hurry to get out of there so kept on picking up beers and saying 'What about this one?'. Didn't get as much time to browse as I usually like but came away with twice as many different beers as I normally would.

Anyway, back to topic. As I was checking out, picked up a copy of an insert that Dan Murphy's had in the Australian. Had Peter Lalor's top 20 Aussie beers. Good news not a VB or pure blonde to be seen, quite a few Grand Ridge (can't remember how they rated), Redoak etc. Rated JSGA 5 stars. I thought the rating for Matilda Bay Rooftop red was a little low. Also an article on Chuch Hahn and Murray's Brewery (The Pub with No Beer) at Taylor's Arm. Mmmmm got some rellies nearby who might need a visit.

Earle
earle

Re: Grand Ridge Brewery Beers

Postby Snowdog » Sunday Feb 17, 2008 5:16 am

I think the Moonshine is a top drop! Haven't tried the Supershine barley wine yet, but the Gippsland was alright and the Yarra Valley was decent.
I'll have to say the Moonshine is worthy of return.
Snowdog

Postby Will » Sunday Feb 17, 2008 9:47 pm

I've managed to sample the Brewers Pilsner Lager, Gippsland Gold Pale Ale and Moonshine Dark Scotch Ale.

The pale and lager didn't stand out as anything really special, although I enjoyed the lager more, it was far more interesting than most lagers you'd come across, although I wouldn't drink them en mass.

The Moonshine is what really got me. At first it was offensive and almost knocked me on my arse, I just wasn't expecting that. A few more sips allowed me to appreciate it more and I whilst I couldn't drink many in one night it's certainly a worthwhile experience.

I'll be keeping my eye out for some of the other Grand Ridge brews.
Will

Postby Will » Tuesday Feb 19, 2008 11:07 pm

Just downed a Natural Blonde Wheat Beer and a Moonlight Nut Brown Ale.

The blonde was certainly drinkable but quite similar to a German weiss beer, which is a style I'm really not a fan of. I noticed the fruitiness to the initial taste though, orange I think?

The nut ale on the other hand was much more enjoyable, reminded me of a few other European sort of ales and I was surprised to see it's only a light beer at 3.3%, it really doesn't taste like a light.
Will

Return to The beer you buy