Doggers take on Coopers Sparkling.

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Doggers take on Coopers Sparkling.

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Jan 27, 2005 8:47 am

First off

Cheers,

It is Jan 26 th here at about 5:00 pm or 1700 for those who know this sort of thing.

As I said, I would try my Coopers Sparkling today in celebration. Additionally, I managed to salvage the yeast and will let you know how the culturing goes.

This is a very nice beer. Mine was sulfited a bit and I could catch a wiff of H2S from the natural carbonation and nature of the yeast, but it was not a bad thing and nor did it take away from the taste, which I might add was very nice.

I had mine at about 36 deg F, good carbonation, nice crack on the bottle, steady gentle pour so I wasn't working at getting a head as I wanted the yeast. The head I did get was more than fine and lasted the length of the beer, which wasn't long mind you.

All in all, I would try and copy this, it was nice and the aroma makes it very unique here. There was a bit of a sting that I am not used to I assume from the hops, (POR?) which I can't get yet here unless I am prepared to buy about 5 lbs.

I now understand the dislike for Fosters, which tastes like most of our big house brews (kindred spirits I guess).

It is truly a pleasure to put this bottle into the collection

Dogger

PS. I could drink more than one of those, I hope to post a pic soon of it against the Canadian standard
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby db » Thursday Jan 27, 2005 9:43 am

nice one dogger.. good luck with the culturing
db

Postby r.magnay » Thursday Jan 27, 2005 11:07 am

G'day Dogger,
Coopers actually make a kit that is supposed to be the very sparkling ale you talk about, I have made one batch as per the insructions, I didn't get it exactly like their product, but it was OK. I don't know if you can get the Coopers Heritage range over there, ( that's what it is) I havn't made it again because I tend to keep the alcohol level down a bit, but that is pretty herby gear!
Ross
r.magnay

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Jan 27, 2005 10:16 pm

No we don't

We get two lines of Coopers,

The regular which includes the draught, ale, bitter, lager

The other is the Brewmasters Select, which includes an IPA, Nut Brown, and a Pilsner

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby r.magnay » Friday Jan 28, 2005 6:54 am

G'day Dogger,
you better get onto the Coopers site and rev em up a bit, I have only made the bitter and the Sparkling, but it is pretty good stuff, I also read somewhere that the Lager is pretty good too but I havn't tried that.
Ross
r.magnay

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Jan 28, 2005 7:25 am

Nah,

They don't have to go out of their way for me, I learnt how to do all grains so I don't much buy the kits anymore

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby beer_lover » Thursday Feb 10, 2005 6:26 pm

G'day Dogger, I made a Heritage Sparkling Ale with 1 kg Dried Light Malt .

At first it was a bit sweet but after a couple of months it tasted very much like a real off the shelf Sparkling Ale..
beer_lover

Postby Oliver » Friday Feb 11, 2005 9:49 am

Dogger,

I received this mash recipe for Cooper's Sparkling Ale from a visitor to our site. I haven't made it, so can't vouch for it. But here goes.

Pete's recipe for Cooper's Sparkling Ale

I reckon the only way to get near to authenticity is to mash, and ideally use Schooner malt. Cooper's also uses sugar and the inverted icing sugar is important for the right flavor as is the use of the Coopers Yeast culture. That fruity ester that Cooper's Sparkling is renowned for is due to the yeast and sugar, so no substitutes.

INGREDIENTS FOR 25 LITRES
4kg South Australian Schooner Malt (Coopers Brewery Malt, I suspect)
250g Crystal Malt
250g Corn Syrup
300g-450g Invert Icing Sugar (1 tsp citric acid to 300g and very small amount of water slow heat allow to foam up but not to boil, then turn off immediately. Aim is to get to yellowish/light amber stage not caramelised too much.) The more sugar you use the stronger the flavour. I've done 300g to 450g so it's a taste thing really. I suggest to start with 300g per 25L.
100g Dextrose
1.5tsp Irish Moss
50g Pride of Ringwood Hops Flowers (Schedule: 20g, 15g, 15g)
1.5 litre yeast culture from Cooper's Pale Ale
Dextrose to prime if bottling

FULL SINGLE STEP EXTRACTION (No acid Rest)
Mash: at 153F for 1-1.5 hours. Mix well early, regularly during and recirculate first 4-6 litres of runnings. Sparge 170F, rest 20mins and recirculate well early and during rest. Recirculate first 4 litres runnings.

HOP SCHEDULE
Boil extracted wort 30 mins. Add Corn Syrup, Dextrose, 20g hops boil 30 mins. Add Invert sugar and Irish Moss and boil 15 mins. Add 15g hops boil 13 mins. Add 15g hops boil 2 mins, Turn off heat.
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Feb 11, 2005 11:49 am

Oliver,

I can do that, just going to be a pain on the malt. Will try it with some pale, got the rest of the goods though. Will fire it up this weekend, was looking for something to brew up.

Thanks
Dogger
Dogger Dan

Return to The beer you buy