Pilsner Urquell

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Pilsner Urquell

Postby Pale_Ale » Saturday Feb 24, 2007 9:53 am

What dooes everyone think of this stuff? I thought it was a nice pilsner, very drinkable but not worth the rave reviews it gets...
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby KEG » Saturday Feb 24, 2007 10:07 am

i thought it tasted fantastic, but compared to other pilseners i'd tried, it was much richer. seemed to have a higher gravity.
KEG

Postby Pale_Ale » Saturday Feb 24, 2007 10:29 am

That's true it's not as light as some
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby pixelboy » Saturday Feb 24, 2007 12:12 pm

I love it.. best pilsner ive ever tasted IMHO
pixelboy

Postby Peter Bradshaw » Saturday Feb 24, 2007 2:53 pm

I'm with Pixelboy. This is the kind of stuff that made me want to start home brewing. Roll on Winter and I will have a go at making one.

Cheers, Pete
It's the Quality that Counts
Peter Bradshaw

Postby Pale_Ale » Saturday Feb 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Maybe I'll give it another go, I would like to try it off tap too.

For some reason it didn't seem to have the floral aroma I would have expected. It was fairly cold mind you.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby gregb » Saturday Feb 24, 2007 5:11 pm

I've tried it in a line up with Matilday Bay Bohemian and Little Creatures Pilsner. It was not disgraced, but it did lose out to the locals. Possibly due to haveing been transported around the world, or the green bottle, but the other two were better beers on my tongue.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby steve_n » Saturday Feb 24, 2007 5:30 pm

i wasn't a huge fan of this one. then again, i'm not a big pilsner fan, but i do rate james squire pilsner higher than the pilsner urquell.
beer never tells me it's not in the mood.
-----------------------------------------------
PRIMARY:
SECONDARY: autumn ale
BOTTLED: honey wheat ale, first lager
steve_n

Postby Iron-Haggis » Sunday Feb 25, 2007 12:44 am

gregb wrote:I've tried it in a line up with Matilday Bay Bohemian and Little Creatures Pilsner. It was not disgraced, but it did lose out to the locals. Possibly due to haveing been transported around the world, or the green bottle, but the other two were better beers on my tongue.

Cheers,
Greg

Little Creatures Pilsner is not even a pilsner in my opinion. Far more closer to a German lager than a pilsner. Pilsner Urquell I guess can be seen as the true base for a pilsner beer. I will agree with Greg on Matilda Bay Bohemian. Easily the finest Australian pilsner on the market and every bit as good as and if not better than a Pilsner Urquell.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby chris. » Sunday Feb 25, 2007 12:10 pm

Iron-Haggis wrote:
gregb wrote:I've tried it in a line up with Matilday Bay Bohemian and Little Creatures Pilsner. It was not disgraced, but it did lose out to the locals. Possibly due to haveing been transported around the world, or the green bottle, but the other two were better beers on my tongue.

Cheers,
Greg

Little Creatures Pilsner is not even a pilsner in my opinion. Far more closer to a German lager than a pilsner. Pilsner Urquell I guess can be seen as the true base for a pilsner beer. I will agree with Greg on Matilda Bay Bohemian. Easily the finest Australian pilsner on the market and every bit as good as and if not better than a Pilsner Urquell.

Just my opinion but I don't think that either come close to Urquell. Both I find have a harsh bitterness that I assume is from high AA% hops. Where as the Urquell has a nice rounder bitterness IMO. & lots more Saaz
Last edited by chris. on Thursday Oct 11, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris.

Postby OldBugman » Sunday Feb 25, 2007 6:23 pm

I love the malt flavor of the urquell, which I find matilda to be lacking.
OldBugman

Postby Wassa » Sunday Feb 25, 2007 8:05 pm

A proper Pilsner has Saaz, on top of Saaz with still more Saaz coming thru.

I have tried most of the Pils on the market, with trhe exception of Budvar and IMHO Urquell is the standard by which others are judged.

BTW, my favorite style of Lager is Pils and then I am a Dark Ale man.
The liver is Evil and must be punished!!
Wassa

Postby rwh » Monday Feb 26, 2007 9:43 am

I had this one when I was out one night, and I must say I was extremely unimpressed. Perhaps it was that I was drinking it from the bottle, perhaps it's just me. But I handed it to my girlfriend and she loved it (she's pretty fussy about her beers), so maybe it was just me. I think I'll have to give it another go in more controlled circumstances.

My impression: bitter and not much else. But surely I must have missed something if everyone else is giving it 5 stars all the time.
w00t!
rwh

Postby BierMeister » Tuesday Feb 27, 2007 10:24 am

rwh wrote:My impression: bitter and not much else. But surely I must have missed something if everyone else is giving it 5 stars all the time.

Bitter. You must have had a dud mate as Urquell is anything but bitter. Very malty yes. I wouldn't say it's the best beer in the world but it beats many.
Sounds like Beer O'clock.
BierMeister

Postby rwh » Tuesday Feb 27, 2007 10:38 am

BierMeister wrote:Bitter. You must have had a dud mate as Urquell is anything but bitter. Very malty yes. I wouldn't say it's the best beer in the world but it beats many.

Phew! Thanks for that, I thought there must be something wrong with me! :shock:
w00t!
rwh

Postby Pale_Ale » Tuesday Feb 27, 2007 1:36 pm

Although I would disagree about it being 'anything' but bitter...it is bittered to style, pilsners have malt flavour but typically there is a crisp bitter finish! I found the Urquell reasonably bitter.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby BierMeister » Wednesday Feb 28, 2007 1:41 pm

I must admit though to quantify my last post I do have a high tolerance to all things bitter, but compared to a Jever (North German very hoppy and bitter) Urquell is nothing.
Sounds like Beer O'clock.
BierMeister

Postby derfly » Wednesday Feb 28, 2007 4:02 pm

Oh yeah, friesisch frisch .......

The locals up in that part of Germany don't call it hoppy or bitter ... just "fresh" ....
Convert Number 1093
derfly

Postby Oliver » Friday Mar 30, 2007 7:26 pm

Pilsner Urquell is a great pilsner.

However, at the risk of sounding like a complete wanker, I don't think this beer is as good as it once was. Or perhaps the fact that I first tasted it a long time ago and have tasted many magnificent beers since has put Pilsner Urquell in perspective.

Matilda Bay Bohemian and Squire Pilsner are both pretty good.

I find many "pilsners" to be too fruity to be a pilsner. More aley than lagery.

Have I made any sense whatsoever?

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby buscador » Friday Mar 30, 2007 7:44 pm

Yes.

Some.

:)

b
You had me at dry hopping.
buscador

Next