Buckley's Dark Bock - not so great

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Buckley's Dark Bock - not so great

Postby KEG » Thursday May 24, 2007 7:11 pm

As above.. have a look at this review for what i can now say is a reasonable roundup of the flavour.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/buckleys-d ... 6592/2778/

I swear, the aroma reminds me of the juice you get in a tub of black olives.

i'll drink it over VB, Carlton Cold etc in a heartbeat, but it tastes... weird. Kind of a tang, a sourness. one-dimensional.

eh, i won't buy it again.

next one to try tonight is Sinha Stout, which i've read great things about. 8% is decent for a stout, too :D

today was my first day on a new job. nothing like celebrating by trying a few new beers :oops: :lol:
KEG

Postby Iron-Haggis » Thursday May 24, 2007 7:41 pm

I didn't mind it. I thought it was rather chocolatey. But it could have a bit more body. Sinha Stout is a pretty decent stout.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby Chris » Friday May 25, 2007 10:05 am

I'll REALLY have to give the Sinha Stout a go.

Juice from black olives? That is a real worry.
Chris

Postby rwh » Friday May 25, 2007 11:20 am

It is certainly different. I'd recommend it just as an experience. Probably wouldn't buy it as a session beer, reminded me of Chimay Blue a little bit actually. :shock:
w00t!
rwh

Postby velophile » Friday May 25, 2007 12:12 pm

Being a dark beer fan I've tried this one a few times.

I'd say it's been variable, sometimes smooth & chocolatey, other times harsh with a dirty scent I call 'potting mix'.

By comparison the Mountain Goat Bock was a total winner & I hope they make it again soon.
Ride, Drink, Repeat.
velophile

Postby Tourist » Friday May 25, 2007 1:19 pm

I have been unable to finish only two beers in my life, this is one of them. Tasted like horrible medicine.
Back off man, I'm a tourist.
Tourist

Postby chris. » Friday May 25, 2007 6:39 pm

:lol: Ol' Buckleys hey :wink:

Their beers have quite a reputation
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... opic=15060
Last edited by chris. on Saturday Oct 13, 2007 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris.

Postby rwh » Friday May 25, 2007 11:18 pm

Man this sh*t is hilarious, or it could be my Sparkling Ale clone talking... :? But seriously, I love this:
WortGames wrote:I was also blown away by just how fruity the Buckley's Original Ale was (on draught). It tasted like either it contained lime cordial or it was fermented at 35C. The first girl serving couldn't tell me anything about it, the second (who I believe was one of the brewers, but new) told me 'hmm, you're right, that doesn't taste how it usually does' and the brewer himself apparently kept calling in to apologise for running late and never quite made it so I never really got an answer as to whether something was wrong with the keg or if that was its intended profile.

voota wrote:This is definitly not a new problem with Buckleys, I remember asking the brewer at Beertopia in 04' if he soured the bock... he just shruged and said no.

Effing hilarious. :lol:

On second thoughts, it's probably the ale talking. :cry:
w00t!
rwh

Postby KEG » Saturday May 26, 2007 12:26 am

glad i'm not the only one to have that perception.. it's not a beer i will ever buy again, and i won't even try their pilsener based on the reviews i've seen now.
KEG

Postby corks » Monday May 28, 2007 5:35 am

i thought it was bloody good. but i should probably try it again, i did drink a lot of stones ginger wine that night.
corks

Postby KEG » Monday May 28, 2007 9:56 pm

aaah, stones.. delicious stuff. great with coke, too :D

rwh wrote:It is certainly different. I'd recommend it just as an experience. Probably wouldn't buy it as a session beer, reminded me of Chimay Blue a little bit actually. :shock:
the thing is, i LOVE chimay blue...
KEG

Re: Buckley's Dark Bock - not so great

Postby Oliver » Thursday Jan 17, 2008 4:44 pm

KEG wrote:I swear, the aroma reminds me of the juice you get in a tub of black olives.

i'll drink it over VB, Carlton Cold etc in a heartbeat, but it tastes... weird. Kind of a tang, a sourness. one-dimensional.

eh, i won't buy it again.

next one to try tonight is Sinha Stout, which i've read great things about. 8% is decent for a stout, too :D

Geoff and I tasted both these beers recently. Buckley's got 1.5 stars from a possible five, Sinha 3.5.

Read the reviews at http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/reviews.html

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to The beer you buy