Hammer 'N' Tongs

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Hammer 'N' Tongs

Postby Noodles » Thursday Jul 12, 2007 4:29 pm

Anyone tried it? I picked up a box on the weekend, definitely not the worst beer going around. Good value too at $26.00 (4.0% alc). Handy to have in the fridge for those mates you don't want to waste your homebrew on.

Introducing Hammer 'N' Tongs Draught!
26 Apr 2007

Great news for beer lovers! Hammer 'N' Tongs Draught, a great new Aussie brew at a legendary price was launched in 1st Choice Liquor Superstore last week and will hit Liquorland shelves on 14 May.

Hammer 'N' Tongs is the newest private label offering from Coles Liquor and fans of a good, honest brew will love the clean, crisp taste of this great value draught beer. Brewed in the age-old tradition using the purest water, Hammer 'N' Tongs is a good honest beer - smooth and refreshing with no bitter aftertaste.

Available in 6 packs and slabs, Hammer 'N' Tongs not only tastes great, but is available for a legendary everyday price. Slabs will retail for $25.99 each or two for $50.

So drop in to 1st Choice, pick up a slab or a six pack, and whack some in the fridge so you've got a cold one ready for when the thirst hits!
"Doc, what can I do about these terrible hangovers?"
'You can stop drinking beer'
"No, seriously Doc, what can I do?"
Noodles

Postby Iron-Haggis » Thursday Jul 12, 2007 7:09 pm

Yeah I've tried it. It's better than most of the megaswill and at a decent price.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby Tipsy » Thursday Jul 12, 2007 7:22 pm

A mate gave me one.
I told him I liked it so I didn't hurt his feelings :lol:
Tipsy

Postby Turner » Thursday Jul 12, 2007 8:29 pm

i saw an ad for this a few weeks ago but couldn't remember the name!
I'm not a fish
I'm a man
Hook in mouth!
Turner

Postby goatsby » Saturday Aug 11, 2007 3:00 pm

Unfortunately I have had some Friday Night

It has a pic of a derro with a hammer and anvil on the bottle which looked surprisingly like GEORGE the CHEAPSKATE PISSANT of LION NATHANS Tooheys Red Label which should have sent warning signals immediately .

On further investigation it has a Tasmanian Map on the bottle which looks like it must have been brewed by Boags. Tasman Bitter is the same but Hammer and Tongs has a lower Alcohol content which by adding MORE WATER.

I DID NOT ENJOY THIS BEER AT ALL!! as a matter of fact this beer put me off beer this weekend , I would say its the worst beer i have had since LION NATHANS HAHN ICE BEER!! which is THE WORST BEER IN THE WORLD!!

Boags is certainly slipping by adding water to beer to reduce the alcohol content to pay less excise taxes. Instead of passing the savings onto the consumer they spend it on inane advertising.

Furthermore if I ever met the person responsible for this abomination I will go Hammer N' Tongs at them.
goatsby

Postby goatsby » Saturday Aug 11, 2007 3:04 pm

Iron-Haggis wrote:Yeah I've tried it. It's better than most of the megaswill and at a decent price.

surely this must be somone who has hacked Iron Haggis's name, I find this statement hard to believe :o
goatsby

Postby warra48 » Saturday Aug 11, 2007 3:29 pm

Brewed in the age-old tradition using the purest water, Hammer 'N' Tongs is a good honest beer - smooth and refreshing with no bitter aftertaste.

Never mind the purest water, no mention of malt and hops!
No bitter aftertaste, but does it taste of anything at all?
Smooth and refreshing, but then so is a glass of cold spring water on a hot day.
How do they define beer as good and honest?
Obviously the copy is written by some advertising agency, who are more into chardonnay than real beer?
Price looks good though.
Haven't tried it personally, so the beer may be OK. Just dismantling the advertising, as a pedantic enthusiast is bound to do.
Last edited by warra48 on Sunday Aug 12, 2007 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
warra48

Postby Kevnlis » Saturday Aug 11, 2007 3:52 pm

I like it, I have a few in the fridge right now actually. I would rate it higher than Forex Gold or Carlton Mid and at a fraction of the price!

There are definately better beers but why waste the money on them? I only use them for my wife and friends that are too weak to understand real beer :lol:
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Iron-Haggis » Saturday Aug 11, 2007 10:41 pm

goatsby wrote:
Iron-Haggis wrote:Yeah I've tried it. It's better than most of the megaswill and at a decent price.

surely this must be somone who has hacked Iron Haggis's name, I find this statement hard to believe :o

I'd drink a Hammer n Tongs over a VB anyday. Mind you when I had it, it was free and after a 10 hour shift. My tastes buds may have been compromised.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Re: Hammer 'N' Tongs

Postby KEG » Monday Jun 30, 2008 6:17 pm

I bought a bottle of this a couple days ago to try... TRYING to drink it now. enough said.
KEG

Re:

Postby ryan » Tuesday Jul 01, 2008 4:59 pm

goatsby wrote:
On further investigation it has a Tasmanian Map on the bottle which looks like

LOL :lol: ye olde map of Tasmania ? :)
How did they get away with putting that on a label, sez I. :shock:
Last edited by ryan on Tuesday Jul 01, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryan

Postby ryan » Tuesday Jul 01, 2008 5:03 pm

nudge nudge, wink wink :wink:
ryan

Postby KEG » Tuesday Jul 01, 2008 8:37 pm

yeah, pussy of a beer.

:D
KEG

Return to The beer you buy