The Golden State prevails...

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Best Sierra Nevada Beer?

Pale
13%
Stout
No votes
Porter
7%
Wheat
No votes
IPA
7%
Bigfoot
No votes
Celebration
No votes
Never tried it and am now concerned about my well-being
73%

Total votes : 15

The Golden State prevails...

Postby buscador » Wednesday Aug 22, 2007 7:08 pm

hit up the 20% at GnG and picked up

SNPorter
SNStout
Anchor Steam
Anchor Liberty Ale*
and Anchor Porter

I know there are looming Seppos such as myself on this site, but I have to put my hands together for the best beers I have tried (again after a long time it seems) lately. Aussies, go to Cali for the best US beers, we don't call it the Golden State for nothin'!

b
crackin' another one...
You had me at dry hopping.
buscador

Postby Iron-Haggis » Wednesday Aug 22, 2007 9:59 pm

The only one I've tried is the Pale Ale, which may be pretty similar to most people on here.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby Chris » Thursday Aug 23, 2007 12:59 pm

PA is by far the best IMO.
Chris

Postby James L » Thursday Aug 23, 2007 2:36 pm

Too hard to get my bloody hands on....

Otherwise i'd drink them... quite quickly
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby rwh » Thursday Aug 23, 2007 4:24 pm

I've never been able to get a bottle of any SN stuff, despite keeping my eyes out for about a year. I do a SNPA clone which is pretty much my favourite HB recipe.
w00t!
rwh

Postby buscador » Thursday Aug 23, 2007 5:10 pm

in a perfect world, i would invite you down to the pub tonight to taste each one, sadly- i had a feeling my poll would be to difficult to judge,

yes, the pale is the standard and does pack a nice punch, but the porter (and there may be one or 2 left at GnG) is worth the 5$, i didnt drink much other than the pale, which ran like water at home, back in the states, although ive tried them all and miss them dearly now that i make my own grog

b
You had me at dry hopping.
buscador

Postby James L » Thursday Aug 23, 2007 5:24 pm

I was looking on Beerstore, which is a australian online beer store (funny that). And they seem to have Sierra Nevada PA to purchase. The price is not listed, and i think it may be a POA.

Would be interested on the price, but havent dared ask....

http://www.beerstore.com.au/product.asp
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby rwh » Thursday Aug 23, 2007 5:53 pm

Yeah, I think the story is that they used to get it, imported through the European distributor, until SN found out about it and cracked down. Now there's no supplier for Aus. I think the idea is that SN doesn't want their beer sold where they can't guarantee the supply chain keeps the product under the correct conditions.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Aug 23, 2007 5:59 pm

rwh wrote:Yeah, I think the story is that they used to get it, imported through the European distributor, until SN found out about it and cracked down. Now there's no supplier for Aus. I think the idea is that SN doesn't want their beer sold where they can't guarantee the supply chain keeps the product under the correct conditions.

Fair enough too! Australia seems to need some help in the "sourcing fresh imported beer" category!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby pacman » Saturday Aug 25, 2007 11:09 pm

Kevnlis, I suspect it is a stock rotation problem more than "sourcing fresh imported beer".

Here in Toowoomba, unkindly categorized as "Woop Woop" by one poster, we can purchase German beers a year or more before best before date, whilst UK beers are sold either rapidly approaching or past their BBD.

Suspect different importers have different approaches to stock rotation.

Anecdotal evidence here in Toowoomba suggests that stock rotation is often delegated to delivery drivers. Not really their job, so no wonder there is some stale stock on the shelves. Also suggests that German beer is delivered by a carrier who refuses to rotate stock for demanding and lazy retailers.
Cheers,

Pacman
pacman

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Aug 26, 2007 7:50 am

pacman wrote:Kevnlis, I suspect it is a stock rotation problem more than "sourcing fresh imported beer".

Here in Toowoomba, unkindly categorized as "Woop Woop" by one poster, we can purchase German beers a year or more before best before date, whilst UK beers are sold either rapidly approaching or past their BBD.

Suspect different importers have different approaches to stock rotation.

Anecdotal evidence here in Toowoomba suggests that stock rotation is often delegated to delivery drivers. Not really their job, so no wonder there is some stale stock on the shelves. Also suggests that German beer is delivered by a carrier who refuses to rotate stock for demanding and lazy retailers.

Possible, but it doesn't help the fact that I can't run down to the local bottler and buy a sixer of my favorite import and expect to enjoy a good fresh beer, not a stale skunky bottle of piss.

Admittedly there have been a few times I managed to get fresh stock, but they would be the minority.

I think it probably also has to do with the bottle shops not ordering quantities that they can realisticaly expect to sell in the time before it is (IMHO) undrinkable.

I am also sure you would get great varience from BS to BS and metro to rural areas as well. Toowoomba is a fair cry closer to the city than Bundy, even if it is still out woop woop :P
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Return to The beer you buy