"Girly" Beer

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

"Girly" Beer

Postby Conrad » Friday Apr 29, 2005 11:38 am

Recently did the Speights Brewery tour in Dunedin, New Zeland, and the tour guide described their Summer Ale as a girly beer. It has significant overtones of Apricot in it and personally I would have struggled to drink one of them. One of the guys I am working with however did give me a Monteiths Radler to try (http://www.monteiths.co.nz/showroom/radler.html). Upon opening it smelt and tasted like Lemon Lime and Bitters to me. It hardly seemed like a beer (and quite sweet) but very refreshing.

I will seeing if I can try every "boutique" brew that I can find over the weekend here in Dunedin. The Kiwis certainly seem to have a good mix of "different" beers and maybe some of the Aussie breweries could follow in their footsteps.

Cheers,

Conrad
Life is too short to drink cheap beer!
Conrad

Postby Pants » Wednesday May 04, 2005 1:51 pm

Monteith's make a Summer Ale as well, which the girls seem to drink alot of. I much prefer the Celtic Red whenever I'm over the ditch.
Pants

Postby grabman » Wednesday May 04, 2005 3:18 pm

agree with tha, the Celtic REd is great as is the Black. You can get them hear, BWS stock them and at reasonable prices as well!
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby db » Wednesday May 04, 2005 4:31 pm

do they stock the red & summer ale?
the couple of store's i've come across in my travels only seem to stock the gold, green, & black :cry:
db

Postby grabman » Wednesday May 04, 2005 9:16 pm

Some do db, it seems different stores have different items. My nearest here in Perth has the lot, must be few Kiwis in the area!!
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Re:

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Sep 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Pants wrote:Monteith's make a Summer Ale as well, which the girls seem to drink alot of. I much prefer the Celtic Red whenever I'm over the ditch.

Just draging up an old thread.
I bought a 6 pack of this Summer Ale and Celtic Red.
The Summer ale tastes like it's got lemonade or dry ginger in it! I can see why the girls would like it.
Tipsy

Re: "Girly" Beer

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Sep 16, 2009 6:58 pm

The Celtic Red's delicious
Tipsy

Postby Oliver » Friday Dec 18, 2009 7:39 pm

Speight's Old Dark Malt Ale is one of the best beers I've tasted.

Years ago I sent an email to Lion Nathan asking if it was available in Australia. The CEO's secretary replied that it wasn't but that she was coming to Australia for a conference and could bring me some. So for about $60 I got two SLABS of Speight's Old Dark Malt Ale!

What a woman!

In regard to girly beer, has anyone seen that the Hummingbird Blonde Lager? Doesn't seem that they have a website, but are sponsoring some dodgy website about female singers.

Anyone tried it? I'm scared to.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Will » Saturday Dec 19, 2009 5:40 pm

I've heard about the Hummingbird but haven't seen it anywhere.

If it's a lager I'd imagine it's something similar to a Corona, blandly inoffensive so almost anyone cane drink it.
Will

Postby timmy » Monday Feb 22, 2010 12:55 pm

I had one of those Hummingbird things over the weekend.

Must admit I was swayed by the swanky label and the barmaid saying something about passionfruit flavours (great! I thought - perhaps using some sauvin....).

f---ing horrible stuff. It's a watery lager to which they've added grapefruit juice.

I also notice that it's made (or at least marketed) under the Cruiser label. They also have a cider out, but after tasting their 'beer' I'll steer clear.

rant over....

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Return to The beer you buy