Light beers

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Best light beer in Oz

Coopers Light
32%
Hahn 'Premium' Light
7%
Cascade Light
36%
Other
25%

Total votes : 28

Light beers

Postby drsmurto » Friday Nov 23, 2007 1:29 pm

Yes, i know. Light beer just isnt cricket.

But... I am at work and the OH&S nazis have decied that at our work bbq lunch we were only allowed to have light beers.

Had a Hahn light first. Nowhere cold enough, i reckon it need to be served at 1C at the most. Fizzy funny coloured water.

Now happily sipping a Coopers Light. This is a lot ballsier a light beer and one i reckon i could happily drink. My partners old man loves the stuff but has CPAs in the fridge so i dont have to drink light.

Its amusing to see the words - ALL MALT- emblazoned on the front of the bottle. Kinda highlights once again to us brewers that most of the range contains sugars.....

And yes, i am quite bored today. Would rather be sitting in a pub.

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby Wassa » Friday Nov 23, 2007 3:28 pm

There is no such thing as a good light beer. They all taste like cats piss, make you pee like anything and also give me bad pains in the kidneys.

If I have a choice of light beer, coke or shandies, I'll take the coke or shandy anyday.
The liver is Evil and must be punished!!
Wassa

Postby warra48 » Friday Nov 23, 2007 3:33 pm

Always used to amuse me how all the guys at the end of our round of golf used to drink "feline urine", so they could still drive home without falling foul of the breathaliser.
I just drink a full strength, but limit it to just one, knowing I've got real beer in the fridge when I get home.
By definition, light beer doen't exist. If it's light, it's not beer. If it's beer, it's not light. Why drink a water shandy?
warra48

Postby Chris » Friday Nov 23, 2007 3:35 pm

Ok. Confession time! Who voted for the HPL?
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby warra48 » Friday Nov 23, 2007 3:42 pm

Chris wrote:Ok. Confession time! Who voted for the HPL?

Probably one of my golfing mates, because it's one of the two damned lights on tap at my golf club.
Geez, the megaswill brewers have got that place tied up in knots. 8 taps, VB, Hahn Light, Pure Blonde, Carlton Draught, Tooheys New, 4XXXX, Cascade Light, and last, but by no means least, Tooheys Old.
Can't even get stubbie of Coopers, or one of our local microbrewer's products from the fridge.
warra48

Postby bolwell » Friday Nov 23, 2007 3:57 pm

Well it is Port Macquarie!. You have to conforn to the accepted social standards there. There is no room for individuality in that pensioners paradise.
bolwell

Postby warra48 » Friday Nov 23, 2007 4:08 pm

bolwell wrote:Well it is Port Macquarie!. You have to conforn to the accepted social standards there. There is no room for individuality in that pensioners paradise.

I agree with you to a degree, it is God's waiting room for Bogans. The number of old dickheads with caravans parked in front of their homes is ridiculous. But we do have a microbrewery, The Little Brewing Company http://www.thelittlebrewingcompany.com.au/index.html, and just up the road at Taylors Arm http://www.murraysbrewingco.com.au/.
warra48

Postby bolwell » Friday Nov 23, 2007 4:30 pm

Murrays brewery at Taylors Arm gets me. They have a sign on the highway at Macksville that says brewery open, with an arrow pointing to the turnoff . What they don't mention is the fact that the brewery is around a 65km return trip from the highway turn off. Wonder how many tourists that catches. To add insult to injury their beers got a write up in the Sydney Morning Herald's Good Living Guide a few weeks back. Very nice they said and at $18.00 per 750 ml bottle you would hope so.
bolwell

Postby rwh » Friday Nov 23, 2007 4:59 pm

Boag's Light is worth a try, it's the best I've tried, closely followed by Cascade, though I've not had an opportunity to try the Coopers.
w00t!
rwh

Postby 501 » Friday Nov 23, 2007 5:09 pm

little creatures diluted with 1/2 soda water ?
hehe
|V|()R3 833R5 P|_33Z

Postby scanman » Friday Nov 23, 2007 6:54 pm

I'd rather go thirsty then drink a light. Seems pointless to me.
Who ever said nothing was impossible, never tried to slam a revolving door....
scanman

Postby Kevnlis » Friday Nov 23, 2007 8:50 pm

Right on par with our convo from yesterday Doc. I broke down and bought a slab of Hahn Premium Light for a thin tasteless hurts your teeth cold beer on hot afternoons. I am going to brew a couple of my own so I will not be forced to drink too many of them!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby blandy » Saturday Nov 24, 2007 10:31 am

For a light beer, Cascade light ain't too bad and won't set you back too much (until you start comparing it with homebrew)

By far the best light beer I had was Grand Ridge Moonlite, which was pretty yummy. I'd definately prefer it to most commercial swills on the market, light or otherwise. From memory it was a bit expensive compared to other lights though.
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby Pale_Ale » Saturday Nov 24, 2007 5:26 pm

I haven't tried alot of lights but Cascade light is by far the best widely available light IMO. I don't drink it often but if it's the only thing there then sometimes it's just nice to hold a bottle of beer and drink it rather than complaining about the beer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby Wassa » Saturday Nov 24, 2007 9:38 pm

Lets get back to the cats piss.

I did make a knda light once.....

1 Can Tooheys lager, 500gm LDME and 500gm Maltodextrin, was a light beer with body. Still didn't taste like real beer though.

God I feel good after 12 stubbies of Coopers Sparkling Ale!!!!! Why drink cats piss????
The liver is Evil and must be punished!!
Wassa

Postby Danis » Saturday Nov 24, 2007 9:46 pm

I think I'm yet to try a light beer that I've liked yet. I had Coopers Birrell once, which I didn't mind, however I was a tad inebriated, and I reckon I better try it again before a proper judgment. Wouldn't mind brewing one though.
Danis

Postby Chris » Saturday Nov 24, 2007 10:06 pm

Birell?!!!

You LIKED IT?!!!

You must have been beyond pissed. Ugh- fizzy malt extract.

Psychostick
Chris

Postby KEG » Saturday Nov 24, 2007 11:50 pm

hahaha that's the beer i use when i need cheapo beer for cooking - roughly 50c a bottle for bought beer can't be argued with. i'd rather drink most of my HB than make beer batter with it :-)
KEG

Postby Chris » Sunday Nov 25, 2007 7:30 am

And that colour too. It looks like when you take your first piss after a heavy night of drinking.

Psychostick
Chris

Postby Danis » Sunday Nov 25, 2007 10:24 am

Haha yes, everyone else's reaction is what makes me reconsider my opinion.
Danis

Next

Return to The beer you buy