U-Brew it Microbrewery

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Re: U-Brew it Microbrewery

Postby regan » Monday Jan 21, 2008 5:11 am

i just drove past one of these places on my way to work, or more to the point where they will be opening one soon.
so heres the big question and the answer better be yes. can i get brew supplies there?
my next nearest brew shop is at least 40 minutes return + browsing time :(
beer-o-beer
regan

Postby Ross » Monday Jan 21, 2008 6:19 am

We have a local U-brew-it at Capalaba that is 100% AG.
The business is very successful & is making great beer. So yes it can be done. Grain is under half the price of extract, so it does have some advantages. Thier prices are the same as the extract mobs as well.

Cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Jan 21, 2008 8:16 am

Ross wrote:We have a local U-brew-it at Capalaba that is 100% AG.
The business is very successful & is making great beer. So yes it can be done. Grain is under half the price of extract, so it does have some advantages. Thier prices are the same as the extract mobs as well.

Cheers Ross

How new is that Ross? I lived in Capalaba just 8 months ago and never heard of it until now!

I knew about the one in Zilmere, but that was all I was aware of.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby WSC » Monday Jan 21, 2008 2:38 pm

I've never been there but i think it's been open for 2 years or so.

It's called Bacchus Brewing

http://www.bacchusbrewing.com.au/steps.htm

I actually asked them about franchising a while ago but they didn't seem too keen.

Not sure how grain brewing effects the financials, most of the money is in the equipment and fitout of the premises.
WSC

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Jan 21, 2008 2:43 pm

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on their recipe book, few beers there I wouldn't mind having a crack at! ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby BadSeed » Tuesday Mar 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread... Actually I'm not.

I went to one of these places before Xmas (in WA) if you take akeg along they will fill it for about $50 they have a selection of popular brews that you can always get. I had been a bit slack and was running low on stocks so it looked like a good idea.

While I was in there I chatted to the guy running the place, who seemed knowlegeable and enthusiastic. He told me how much better that shop stuff their brews were, how good their ingredients were etc etc a nice guy. They have some nice kit in there, lots of stainless on display and the smell is fantastic.

I got a keg of Crown clone (for the visitors) and a Little Creatures Pale Ale clone for myself. The word clone is debateable.
So I took them home and hooked them up to the kegerator.
First off I poured myself a pint of Crown. Gassy with a strong "Banana" taste, no other flavour whatsoever. Not a good beer at all. I never asked about temperature control when I was in there, I just assumed (I know :roll: )

So after that I poured an LCPA, even worse or maybe just more disappointing. A bit gassy again, bitter enough and looked good. but no hops. None. No hop taste dectable whatsoever but again the noticeable "banana" esters
Very dissappointed with that one too.

Obviously they sell enough to stay open, it's a popular place but I was very disappointed. I won't be going back again.
BadSeed

Previous

Return to The beer you buy