Barefoot Radler

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Barefoot Radler

Postby Timmsy » Tuesday Jan 15, 2008 8:31 am

Has anyone tried this beer? I brought a 6 pack last nite. Its a lemon and lime type of beer. Not bad summer beer but a good one for the girls as my missus likes it and she doesnt like beer. I could only handle a couple the got stuck into my home brew. Anyone else tried it?
Ah, beer, my one weakness. My Achille's heel, if you will.
Timmsy

Re: Barefoot Radler

Postby Iron-Haggis » Wednesday Jan 16, 2008 4:42 pm

Yeah I tried it, it's pretty ordinary. No hop flavour whatsoever. Just a beer to appeal to those people that think they are being fashionable by not drinking VB or New.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby Brewaholic » Tuesday Jan 22, 2008 7:44 pm

I had one of these the other night ive had monteiths radler aswell to me they taste like an extra dry with a squeeze of morning fresh! They joined the only two other beers i couldnt force down, tooheys pils and bud. Why isnt there a vomiting emoticon :?: :!:
CURRENT STATUS -- Drunk
Brewaholic

Postby James L » Monday May 05, 2008 9:52 am

radler is just a fancy word for shandy... i shit you not... the germans have a beer called a radlermass, and its a 50:50 mix of blonde beer and lemonade...
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Kevnlis » Monday May 05, 2008 10:04 am

James L wrote:radler is just a fancy word for shandy... i shit you not... the germans have a beer called a radlermass, and its a 50:50 mix of blonde beer and lemonade...

http://www.lion-nathan.com/Files/Media- ... elease.pdf
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby RUM57L » Monday Aug 30, 2010 8:09 am

Brewaholic wrote:I had one of these the other night ive had monteiths radler aswell to me they taste like an extra dry with a squeeze of morning fresh! They joined the only two other beers i couldnt force down, tooheys pils and bud. Why isnt there a vomiting emoticon :?: :!:

I grabbed one of these from D. Murphys yesterday and... well i can second whats been quoted above. Awful awful stuff.

Upon entering Dan Murphys.. i was given a pamphlet "20 craft beers you must try" .. so i selected a few along with a few favourites.. this one i would definately steer clear off... I've had the Miller Chelada style one and its drinkable.. this isnt.
RUM57L

Postby Bum » Monday Aug 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Isn't chelada beer and tomato juice?!
Bum

Postby RUM57L » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 7:35 am

G'Day Bum,

I havent heard of that before... but i'm green when it comes to different styles of beer. Pretty sure it said Chelada or something on the label..

ok so i just looked it up for some clarification:

"The traditonal "Chelada" recipe is to serve icy cold premium lager beer with a dash of fresh lime juice over ice, in a salt rimmed glass"

Thats from the miller website.. and on wiki:

"The Michelada or cerveza preparada is a term loosely defining a Mexican alcoholic beverage made with beer, lime juice and assorted sauces, spices, peppers, tomato juices or Clamato[1]. It is served in a chilled salt rimmed glass.[2] There are numerous variations of the beverage throughout Mexico and Latin America.[3] A common variation includes Clamato or Tomato juice."

So yea it can have tomato... by why would you want it lol :shock:
RUM57L

Postby Bum » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 10:08 am

The only time I've come across the word chelada was in the States when I saw Bud Chelada. I never had one (and who bloody would?) but that one had tomato juice so I assumed that was a defining characteristic of the style - my apologies.

In regard to part of your quoted material - if anyone is interested, clamato is tomato juice - WITH CLAMS. Completely serious. How hung over would you need to be to think drinking that would be a good idea?
Bum

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 10:25 am

So it's essentially a cold soup with beer as a main ingredient?

...These Mexicans are crazy!
bullfrog

Postby RUM57L » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 10:38 am

Hey no need to offer apologies :)

Are you serious Bum? Clams!?

I guess with that much sun you'd be forgiven to go a bit mental sometimes hahahaha.
RUM57L

Postby Tipsy » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 5:39 pm

Bum wrote:In regard to part of your quoted material - if anyone is interested, clamato is tomato juice - WITH CLAMS. Completely serious. How hung over would you need to be to think drinking that would be a good idea?

I'd give it a go....but I'll not guarantee that I won't spew.
Tipsy

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Nov 16, 2010 6:24 pm

James L wrote:radler is just a fancy word for shandy... i shit you not... the germans have a beer called a radlermass, and its a 50:50 mix of blonde beer and lemonade...

We accidentally ordered one of these in Florence in July. Someone at the next table was drinking it and it looked OK. We thought it was a cloudy wheat beer. We asked the waitress what it was and she told us, but due to the language barrier we had no idea what she said. So we ordered two big glasses of it! It was 38 degrees (the weather, not the beer) so it went down pretty well. It was made with traditional cloudy lemonade, so was actually quite sour and refreshing. A good beer for the occasion, but I'm not sure I'd order it again.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby PaulSteele » Wednesday Nov 17, 2010 2:56 pm

Just to expand on this, Radler means "Cyclist" in German and the mix of lemonade and beer was available at bars on the cyclists training routes so they could stop off and grab one on their rides.

http://alfgrumblemp.wordpress.com/2009/04/05/why-beer-buffs-are-in-a-froth-over-radler/ that is an interesting read about DB breweries trying to steal the term for themselves. They are doing the same with "Saison" at the moment as well, I think
PaulSteele

Return to The beer you buy