Local IPA

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Local IPA

Postby drtom » Wednesday Jan 16, 2008 8:25 am

Hi All,

I thought my beer experience was sadly incomplete - I'd never had an IPA until last week. To rectify the situation I went to the Swords place at the Vic Market and asked what IPA they had, and bought a couple: Beast from Jamison, and Bling from Beechworth. I'll clearly have to try some more, because the two were so different, it's hard to believe they're supposed to be the same style.

The Beast was, as I expected intensely bitter - actually too bitter for my taste, but I expected this, with a middling copper colour. It had some hop aroma and flavour though not as much as I was expecting.

The Bling had a much deeper colour. Actually, it foamed up when I poured it, to the extent that if it was one of my own brews, I'd say I'd over-carbonated it. It had quite a rich hop flavour and aroma, and a much more balanced malty character - it was still quite bitter, but I liked it much more. Possibly, part of the reason is just getting used to the intense IPA bitterness.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what people think, and recommendations of other IPAs to try.

cheers,
T.
drtom

Re: Local IPA

Postby earle » Wednesday Jan 16, 2008 8:29 am

Possibly, part of the reason is just getting used to the intense IPA bitterness.

Their is also a lot of variation in bittering in IPAs. Some brewers stay true to style while others reduce the bitterness to make the style more palatable to those who don't like it so bitter.
earle

Postby Iron-Haggis » Wednesday Jan 16, 2008 4:52 pm

There are also two main variations to IPAs. There is English IPAs and American IPAs. The bitterness should always be there though, just the difference in flavours between English and American hops.

A very good example of what Earle says is a Canadian beer Alexander Keith's IPA. It has no resemblance to an IPA, it's light in colour, body and bitterness.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby gregb » Wednesday Jan 16, 2008 5:27 pm

I tried a Murrays 2IPA before Christmas. It is on my will buy again list.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday Jan 16, 2008 5:32 pm

The best IPA I have had is Three Floyds "Dreadnaught"
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby rwh » Thursday Jan 17, 2008 11:20 am

Most modern IPAs I've had seem to have reduced the alcohol (and thus the malt character) but have left the IBUs very high, which in my opinion completely stuffs up the balance. In my (traditional) IPAs, I balance the malt with hops, giving a very malty, hoppy beer; delicious, but you can't drink too many! :D

My recipe: Paint and Wallpaper India Pale Ale.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Snowdog » Thursday Feb 14, 2008 11:30 am

Gage Roads IPA is a pretty good drop.
Snowdog

Postby Chris » Thursday Feb 14, 2008 3:01 pm

Damn right rwh. The maltiness can sometimes be lacking in some IPAs.

Love the Wig and Pen IPA. Served on hand pump, room temp, low carb. Best IPA I've had in a long time.

Though I have to say that an interesting serving suggestion is to do a nitro/CO2 mix for an IPA. It is even better than when on a stout.
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby Iron-Haggis » Friday Feb 15, 2008 10:17 pm

The IPA from thw Wig & Pen is brilliant, tried it when I was down in Canberra a couple of weeks ago. It has a next to perfect balance balance malt and hops. I remember having an IPA from a pub in a small Enlgish town, was one of the greatest beers I've ever tried. The best way to drink a good IPA is just to brew one yourself.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Return to The beer you buy