Aldi beer again

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Aldi beer again

Postby Chris » Wednesday Jan 30, 2008 7:48 pm

Anyone tried the Shipstone Crew Pale Ale? I will as of sometime tomorrow. I would've sooner except that you have to buy a whole case.

Will let you know.
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Re: Aldi beer again

Postby Chris » Thursday Jan 31, 2008 9:19 am

It recons it is made with super alpha and green bullet hops in NZ.

It is not too bad, but not beer of the year material.

Nice amber colour, with a fine head. A little over-carbonated on pouring, but settles down to a good level after a few minutes.

Not a great aroma- reminds me of PoR aroma a bit. Slightly dirty, but not off-putting at least.

Reasonably malty flavour, with no real up-front hops. It has a lingering bitterness and slight hop flavour on the back of the tongue. Very smooth, clean flavour.

It is a reasonably well balanced beer- much better than 'lawn-mower' status, but not a hop-head's delight. Good session beer.

At a bit under $35 for 24 x 330mL, it is a reasonable price for an ok beer. Easily beats megaswill in both price and taste.

I think it is well worth a try, but you may be hesitant (as I was for so long) about having to buy a whole case without knowing anything about it.

Psychostick
Chris

Postby Oliver » Thursday Jan 31, 2008 11:11 am

Exactly what Chris said.

I've tasted a couple of Aldi beers and they've all been reasonable. Nothing spectacular, but fairly drinkable.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Kevnlis » Saturday Feb 02, 2008 7:23 pm

I have never seen beer at Aldi. Is it something they only do once in a while?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Tipsy » Sunday Feb 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Kevnlis wrote:I have never seen beer at Aldi. Is it something they only do once in a while?

All the time at my local Aldi
Tipsy

Postby KEG » Sunday Feb 03, 2008 1:24 pm

not every aldi is licenced to sell booze.
KEG

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Feb 04, 2008 8:36 am

I may have to go crack the whip at the manager of mine then! Do they do imports and micros as well?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Tipsy » Monday Feb 04, 2008 6:51 pm

Kevnlis wrote:Do they do imports and micros as well?

Some, or most of their beer is imported, but it has Aldi's own labeling so it would be hard to know who brews it.

FWIW they have a cheap imported lager called "Shloss" that while being far from the best beer in the world, it would have to be the best value for money beer going.
Tipsy

Postby ryan » Monday Feb 04, 2008 8:19 pm

KEG wrote:not every aldi is licenced to sell booze.

Vic and NSW only, far as I know.
ryan

Postby Chris » Tuesday Feb 12, 2008 6:48 am

I didn't know that they were selling grog in NSW. They definately sell in VIC and ACT.

And I'd go the Werngruner (sp?) in preference to the Schloss. Thanks to Aldi being a German brand, German beer! I do wish I knew who the '200 year old brewery' that does that particular beer is.

Either way, having finished my Kiwi pale ale, I feel I got value for money at $35 a case.

Psychostick
Chris

Postby bullfrog » Friday Sep 07, 2012 11:51 am

Excuse me will I necromance this thread;

Looks like Aldi's NSW liquor license was granted. My local store has just recently started selling booze in-store.

Very limited beer selection and all Aldi branded, so stuff that I've never heard of before. Thought I'd give one of them a try because at $10 for a six-pack, it's not too much of a worry if five of them don't get drunk.

I went for what they brand as "Fraser Briggs Premium Lager" which the label says is brewed in NZ. Threw three of them back last night to celebrate landing my new job. Inoffensive, better than most megaswill, not dissimilar to a Cascade Premium.

It won't become my commercial of choice, but at $30 a case, I'd buy again.

They had two other options for full-strength, all three just listed as "Premium Lager." One of which proudly states on the label is brewed in France (which I, of course, found to be an odd advertisement; France is hardly a nation that springs to mind when one tries to list the best beer countries in the world.)

Pricing for all the full-strength choices are the same ($10 p/6, $30 p/24) so will give the others a try when I'm next at Aldi.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience with it. Anybody else sampled any of the offerings that Aldi have in rotation at the moment?
bullfrog

Postby emnpaul » Friday Sep 07, 2012 6:23 pm

bullfrog wrote:Excuse me will I necromance this thread;

As long as you don't necrophile it I'm sure it'll be fine. :D

bullfrog wrote:They had two other options for full-strength, all three just listed as "Premium Lager." One of which proudly states on the label is brewed in France (which I, of course, found to be an odd advertisement; France is hardly a nation that springs to mind when one tries to list the best beer countries in the world.)

Pricing for all the full-strength choices are the same ($10 p/6, $30 p/24) so will give the others a try when I'm next at Aldi.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience with it. Anybody else sampled any of the offerings that Aldi have in rotation at the moment?

I've been waiting for Aldi Belmont to start stocking it so I'll call in there next week for a look. I reckon the French one might be alright. The beers they brew are generally pretty good and they also have a few styles of there own which I quite like, such as Biere De Garde and Saison.

Congratulations on the new job. I hope it lives up to expectation.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby bullfrog » Saturday Sep 08, 2012 12:11 pm

emnpaul wrote:As long as you don't necrophile it I'm sure it'll be fine. :D

With a 4-week old baby in the house there's not too much philing of anything going on... :P

emnpaul wrote:I've been waiting for Aldi Belmont to start stocking it so I'll call in there next week for a look. I reckon the French one might be alright. The beers they brew are generally pretty good and they also have a few styles of there own which I quite like, such as Biere De Garde and Saison.

Had to pop into the RTA just near Aldi yesterday so thought I'd grab a sixer of the froggy lager. Not a saison or biere de garde, more akin to a Grolsch, actually. Inoffensive with a whack of aroma hops. Would buy again.

emnpaul wrote:Congratulations on the new job. I hope it lives up to expectation.

Thanks very much. Got the letter of offer yesterday and starting Monday. About a block-and-a-half away from the Bavarian Bier Cafe in Parramatta, so that could prove dangerous...and expensive. :P
bullfrog

Postby SaazGorilla » Monday Sep 10, 2012 5:17 pm

About a month ago, I picked up a case a of Aldi's french beer 'Sainte Etienne'. It's packaging clearly positions it as a Stella Clone.

I'd have to agree with bullfrog, it's inoffensive and more like the cheaper euro imports. Not bad and $30 bucks is pretty cheap, and far better than most BULs I've had. I was hoping it would be like the 'plain' Kronenbourg, which I really liked last time I was in France (at 5 Euro a 6 -pack!),but I don't think it's like that at all. It will certainly do while I wait for my own lagers to mature.

I probably buy more Aldi beer than bottleshop beers although I do stick to the euro style lagers more than anything else. I can recommend the Sainte Ettiene as well as the Schloss. 88 balls was no go tho.

Going back a few years now but I thought MVP was great. I failed a blind test between that and Haagen when Haagen was all I drank for a few years (Don't hold that against me, this was back when my beer voyage was at its earliest stages).
Beers of great men all remind us, we can make our life sublime
SaazGorilla

Return to The beer you buy