James Squire IPA.

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

James Squire IPA.

Postby Paleman » Friday Feb 22, 2008 8:30 am

Just tried a few of these. Very nice. Quite deep in colour with a nice malt taste, but very hoppy and bitter. Just how i like it. Almost reminded me of a nice English Bitter. Of all the JS beers, this is my favourite.

Anyone else had a go ?
" White Wine with Roast Beef ! how dare you ? "..... " I dare because I like it ! " ....Dogger on the meaning of life.
Paleman

Re: James Squire IPA.

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Feb 22, 2008 9:58 am

Yeah, this beer is probably my favourite out of the whole range....I used do like their Amber Ale - it got me into all grain brewing in fact, but for the last few years the amber ale has been very disappointing.

I'll happily accept a sixpack of the JS IPA any day! It shows how nice Munich malt can be in a pale ale...

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Snowdog » Friday Feb 22, 2008 10:25 am

I had a few bottles of it last week. Good stuff. I noted that at the Mansfield 1st Choice its $4 a bottle but only $16 a six, so its worth buying six!
Snowdog

Postby drsmurto » Friday Feb 22, 2008 11:25 am

I have one in the fridge - might just have to take that around to the mates place this eveneing. I think ive had it beofre but bought it again mainly to put it on the windows sill of the bar once empty.
drsmurto

Postby Timmsy » Friday Feb 22, 2008 11:40 am

Great drop. Brought a few mixed cartons of JS and really liked it. What else is great that a couple mates tried it and couldnt handle it. Good thay can stick to Carlton Cold and leave my good stuff alone hahaha :D
Ah, beer, my one weakness. My Achille's heel, if you will.
Timmsy

Postby Paleman » Friday Feb 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Timmsy wrote:Great drop. Brought a few mixed cartons of JS and really liked it. What else is great that a couple mates tried it and couldnt handle it. Good thay can stick to Carlton Cold and leave my good stuff alone hahaha :D

Yea it's definately one for those with beer taste buds. Even though it's got some bitterness, and hopiness. It melds in beautiful with the malts. Very tasty..........let ya mates have the Carlton :D
" White Wine with Roast Beef ! how dare you ? "..... " I dare because I like it ! " ....Dogger on the meaning of life.
Paleman

Postby drsmurto » Friday Feb 22, 2008 12:52 pm

Before i wrap my tastebuds around it this evening, is it a traditional IPA in the sense that its higher ABV and hoppy? When i do get around to making an IPA i want to make it old school. Its a big beer after all.

As for the munich, will be putting a touch in with an ESB this weekend as the MO malt we buy here lacks the balls of the floor malted stuff they buy in the UK. Some munich makes perfect sense to me, upping the maltiness which is a must for this style.
drsmurto

Postby Paleman » Friday Feb 22, 2008 1:15 pm

drsmurto wrote:Before i wrap my tastebuds around it this evening, is it a traditional IPA in the sense that its higher ABV and hoppy? When i do get around to making an IPA i want to make it old school. Its a big beer after all.

As for the munich, will be putting a touch in with an ESB this weekend as the MO malt we buy here lacks the balls of the floor malted stuff they buy in the UK. Some munich makes perfect sense to me, upping the maltiness which is a must for this style.

It's reasonably big in ABV drsmurto. 5.6%

Probably the first IPA i have ever tasted, and i wasn't disappointed. Darker in colour than i imagined.

If i were to clone this with a kit, i'd use some grains in a partial mash and flavour, bitter with noble hops, then chuck it in with a Coopers Bitter Can..............mmmmmmmmm delish !!
Paleman

Postby Paleman » Friday Feb 22, 2008 1:27 pm

Trough Lolly wrote:I used do like their Amber Ale - it got me into all grain brewing in fact, but for the last few years the amber ale has been very disappointing.

Cheers,
TL

I used to like the Amber too TL. But it just doesn't cut it alongside the IPA.

I reckon your Braniac enough to throw me a Partial recipe in the style of JS IPA. :mrgreen:
Paleman

Postby James L » Friday Feb 22, 2008 2:08 pm

dont they tell you which hops they use in the description on the bottle?

They prolly use fuggles for flavour and aroma.
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Paleman » Friday Feb 22, 2008 2:42 pm

James L wrote:dont they tell you which hops they use in the description on the bottle?

They prolly use fuggles for flavour and aroma.

Noble Hops James. I'm still trying to get my head around what that means. :roll:
Paleman

Postby Rabbitz » Tuesday Feb 26, 2008 7:21 am

I guess there is something wrong with me.

I put down a ND Brewers IPA and while it was bubbling along I bought a few JS IPA's (To see what the fuss was about as I had never had an IPA before)

The word disappointed just isn't enough. While malty with some agreeable and disagreeable hop bitterness, it had a very long metallic after-taste.
At first I thought it might have a rust ring so I checked the bottle but no.

I went to a different bottle-o and tried again to prove it was just a bad batch - same result.

No, Sir, I do not like it.

Rabz
"Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems"
H.J. Simpson
Rabbitz

Postby Snowdog » Tuesday Feb 26, 2008 12:03 pm

Metallic eh? Hmm.... did the bottles have three text lines on the date code, saying 'Best before' with the number '15' at the end of the third line, or was it just a date code all in one line?
I had a couple 'metallic' tasting JS Golden ales before, but they were contract brewed (one line date code), but all the JS IPA's I had were bottled by Malt Shovel (3 line date code ending in '15').

Which reminds me.. I need to go get some more beer but the budget is limited. Been debating between Gage Roads IPA and James Squire IPA....
Snowdog

Postby Rabbitz » Tuesday Feb 26, 2008 2:51 pm

Snowdog wrote:Metallic eh? Hmm.... did the bottles have three text lines on the date code, saying 'Best before' with the number '15' at the end of the third line, or was it just a date code all in one line?
I had a couple 'metallic' tasting JS Golden ales before, but they were contract brewed (one line date code), but all the JS IPA's I had were bottled by Malt Shovel (3 line date code ending in '15')...

I'll have a look - If I haven't de-labeled 'em yet.

CW
"Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems"
H.J. Simpson
Rabbitz

Postby James L » Tuesday Feb 26, 2008 3:11 pm

Apparently the Gage Rds IPA use 5 different kinds of Hops....
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Snowdog » Wednesday Feb 27, 2008 9:03 am

Rabbitz wrote:
Snowdog wrote:Metallic eh? Hmm.... did the bottles have three text lines on the date code, saying 'Best before' with the number '15' at the end of the third line, or was it just a date code all in one line?
I had a couple 'metallic' tasting JS Golden ales before, but they were contract brewed (one line date code), but all the JS IPA's I had were bottled by Malt Shovel (3 line date code ending in '15')...

I'll have a look - If I haven't de-labeled 'em yet.

CW

It should be the white printing directly on the neck of the bottle.

I did pick up a six of Gage Roads IPA, and I opted for the James Squire Golden Ale as it was on spesh ($14.90/6-pack) at 1st Choice.
Snowdog

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Feb 29, 2008 1:11 pm

Paleman wrote:...I reckon your Braniac enough to throw me a Partial recipe in the style of JS IPA. :mrgreen:

Keep on eye on the Recipes thread and you may get a pleasant surprise!! :D

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Mar 05, 2008 7:28 pm

Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Paleman » Tuesday Apr 08, 2008 2:56 pm

Cheers for that TL. Muchly appreciated.
Paleman

Postby spatch » Thursday Apr 10, 2008 3:19 pm

Rabbitz wrote:...................... it had a very long metallic after-taste.
At first I thought it might have a rust ring so I checked the bottle but no.

I went to a different bottle-o and tried again to prove it was just a bad batch - same result.

No, Sir, I do not like it.

Rabz

Ditto.
Mine have 3 lines of white printed ending in 15 so seem to be the spec JS ones.

Guess its just not my cuppa tea so to speak. :?

No-one can explain the metallic taste then?
spatch

Next

Return to The beer you buy