Any Stout Lovers out there???

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Re: Any Stout Lovers out there???

Postby corks » Monday Apr 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Hatlifter Stout by the good people at Grand Ridge is a worthy contender as well, lovely drop that it is.
and their Moonshine is worth a try too, though it's not your traditional stout (whatever that is).
and word to their Supershine too, if you can find it. It may only be on sale in and around the brewery itself.
corks

Postby PaulSteele » Wednesday Apr 23, 2008 1:33 am

Southwark is easily my favourite, although i must admit i haven't tried many mentioned just now.

being a stout man, i must try them all!!!

my next couple of weeks are shaping up well!!
PaulSteele

Postby Mariton » Friday Jan 09, 2009 12:16 am

Just grabbed two new Imperial Stouts to try yesterday. Both 500ml, 9.0% alcohol, and about 10 bucks each. Both rated near the top of their class on ratebeer.

Drank the Nøgne Ø last night (Norwegian) - I am no connisseur but it was great. Really easy drinking with no noticeable alcohol taste. Will buy again: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/nogne-o-im ... out/49092/

Will try the Raassted Imperial Stout (Danish) tonight which is actually rated even higher so really looking forward to it: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/raasted-im ... out/65996/

Cheers
Mariton

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Jan 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Whilst visiting Mum, I lashed out and bought a couple of bottles of Abbotsford Invalid Stout - it actually went down better than I expected!! Mind you, I'd had 4 stubbies of JS Golden Ale beforehand!! :lol:
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Tipsy » Sunday Jan 11, 2009 6:33 pm

Trough Lolly wrote:Whilst visiting Mum, I lashed out and bought a couple of bottles of Abbotsford Invalid Stout - it actually went down better than I expected!!

I reckon it's very underrated, I love it.
Tipsy

Postby Bizier » Sunday Jan 11, 2009 6:49 pm

Samuel Smith Imperial and Oatmeal... mmmmmmmmmmm

Also that vintage stout that coopers released that seems to be hens teeth now, that was a good drop.
Bizier

Postby Trough Lolly » Tuesday Jan 13, 2009 8:34 pm

In my last trip to the US, I enjoyed a couple of Young's Double Chocolate Stout - and outstanding dark ale IMO...
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Bizier » Tuesday Jan 13, 2009 9:52 pm

I just passed up a Youngs Double Choc for a White Shield & Bishop's on the way home. I will have to try one.
Bizier

Postby WSC » Thursday Jan 15, 2009 8:20 pm

TL, the youngs DCS is soooo nice and velvety, brilliant beer. I paid $12 for 500ml and still reckon it was worth it.
WSC

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Jan 15, 2009 9:28 pm

Youngs double choc stout is a very nice beer just not really much of a stout.

As TL said, a nice dark ale.

Cellarbration in Fullarton in Adelaide has it quite often along with several other pommy beers. 3 for $20. Might have to stop off their on my way home on Saturday and pick up a few more ales.
drsmurto

Postby Bizier » Friday Jan 16, 2009 5:59 pm

Vintage, BWS and Camperdown have them here in Syd, I think they are about $8 or so...
Bizier

Postby drsmurto » Sunday Jan 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Should have added above, IMO Youngs Double Choc Stout is a dessert beer. Would go very well on ice-cream........
drsmurto

Postby Trough Lolly » Monday Jan 19, 2009 2:13 pm

Good point Doc - I had enjoyed some Red Hook IPA's with a massive steak and my hosts insisted I try a slice of pecan pie with ice cream - yeah, a slice - it was almost the size of a garden paver! Anyhoo, I had to wash it down so I went for the Double Choc Stout - bring me a defib machine please...
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Bizier » Tuesday Jan 20, 2009 6:00 pm

I am tucking into a Coopers BES right now... but I have a Youngs up my sleeve for dessert tonight. Thanks for the inspiration fellas.

Carrying these bottles home made me think about brewing. I will use up some old dark grains and brew a foreign extra stout of some kind tonight. I need to brew a few high alc ones to put down for cool months.
Bizier

Postby Bizier » Wednesday Jan 21, 2009 1:23 am

I was a little unsure on this beer (Young's Double Choc), but it might have been the tasting conditions - mid late night brew.

Can I get any elaboration as to why it would not be classified as a stout? The head is brown, it is pretty roasty and moderately bitter, maybe a little thin, but nothing like a dry stout like Guinness. I thought the mouthfeel and look was very similar to the Coopers BES minus the exctra alc.
Bizier

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jan 21, 2009 9:57 am

IMO its not really a good example of a stout per se as it lacks the roasty flavour/aroma. This is prob due to the amount of chocolate essence used.

Guinness to my taste also lacks the roast character but thats prob due to the way its carbonated and served (N2/CO2 mix).

Coopers BES has plenty of roasted character but for me its too one dimensional.

Steam Exchange stout is quite possibly the best commercial stout i have drunk.

The stout i make that is based upon Warrens 4 shades of stout recipe on AHB.

Its a complex beast that leaves tyou wanting more and more and more. Damn i need 1 right now. Oh wait. I have one in the fridge at work :shock: :lol:

But TL (aka Brother Stout - which i assume is due to his loves of the dark beer rather than his stature.... :D ) is the man to ask about stouts.
drsmurto

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Jan 21, 2009 5:19 pm

Incant the name and thus I appear before you! Image

Without turning into a style nazi, let's have a look at the 2008 BJCP GUIDELINES as a point of reference...compare these fairly detailed tasting notes when you next have a double choc stout and judge for yourself:

13A. Dry Stout
Flavor: Moderate roasted, grainy sharpness, optionally with light to moderate acidic sourness, and medium to high hop bitterness. Dry, coffee-like finish from roasted grains. May have a bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate character in the palate, lasting into the finish. Balancing factors may include some creaminess, medium-low to no fruitiness, and medium to no hop flavor. No diacetyl.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium-full body, with a creamy character. Low to moderate carbonation. For the high hop bitterness and significant proportion of dark grains present, this beer is remarkably smooth. The perception of body can be affected by the overall gravity with smaller beers being lighter in body. May have a light astringency from the roasted grains, although harshness is undesirable.
Overall Impression: A very dark, roasty, bitter, creamy ale.

13 B. Sweet Stout
Flavor: Dark roasted grains and malts dominate the flavor as in dry stout, and provide coffee and/or chocolate flavors. Hop bitterness is moderate (lower than in dry stout). Medium to high sweetness (often from the addition of lactose) provides a counterpoint to the roasted character and hop bitterness, and lasts into the finish. Low to moderate fruity esters. Diacetyl low to none. The balance between dark grains/malts and sweetness can vary, from quite sweet to moderately dry and somewhat roasty.
Mouthfeel: Medium-full to full-bodied and creamy. Low to moderate carbonation. High residual sweetness from unfermented sugars enhances the full-tasting mouthfeel.
Overall Impression: A very dark, sweet, full-bodied, slightly roasty ale. Often tastes like sweetened espresso.

13C. Oatmeal Stout
Flavor: Medium sweet to medium dry palate, with the complexity of oats and dark roasted grains present. Oats can add a nutty, grainy or earthy flavor. Dark grains can combine with malt sweetness to give the impression of milk chocolate or coffee with cream. Medium hop bitterness with the balance toward malt. Diacetyl medium-low to none. Hop flavor medium-low to none.
Mouthfeel: Medium-full to full body, smooth, silky, sometimes an almost oily slickness from the oatmeal. Creamy. Medium to medium-high carbonation.
Overall Impression: A very dark, full-bodied, roasty, malty ale with a complementary oatmeal flavor.

13D. Foreign Extra Stout
Flavor: Tropical versions can be quite sweet without much roast or bitterness, while export versions can be moderately dry (reflecting impression of a scaled-up version of either sweet stout or dry stout). Roasted grain and malt character can be moderate to high, although sharpness of dry stout will not be present in any example. Tropical versions can have high fruity esters, smooth dark grain flavors, and restrained bitterness; they often have a sweet, rum-like quality. Export versions tend to have lower esters, more assertive roast flavors, and higher bitterness. The roasted flavors of either version may taste of coffee, chocolate, or lightly burnt grain. Little to no hop flavor. Very low to no diacetyl.
Mouthfeel: Medium-full to full body, often with a smooth, creamy character. May give a warming (but never hot) impression from alcohol presence. Moderate to moderately-high carbonation.
Overall Impression: A very dark, moderately strong, roasty ale. Tropical varieties can be quite sweet, while export versions can be drier and fairly robust.

13E. American Stout
Flavor: Moderate to very high roasted malt flavors, often tasting of coffee, roasted coffee beans, dark or bittersweet chocolate. May have a slightly burnt coffee ground flavor, but this character should not be prominent if present. Low to medium malt sweetness, often with rich chocolate or caramel flavors. Medium to high bitterness. Hop flavor can be low to high, and generally reflects citrusy or resiny American varieties. Light esters may be present but are not required. Medium to dry finish, occasionally with a light burnt quality. Alcohol flavors can be present up to medium levels, but smooth. No diacetyl.
Mouthfeel: Medium to full body. Can be somewhat creamy, particularly if a small amount of oats have been used to enhance mouthfeel. Can have a bit of roast-derived astringency, but this character should not be excessive. Medium-high to high carbonation. Light to moderately strong alcohol warmth, but smooth and not excessively hot.
Overall Impression: A hoppy, bitter, strongly roasted Foreignstyle Stout (of the export variety).

13F. ((My fave) Russian Imperial Stout
See Wig and Pen Pub in Canberra.... :wink: !!
Flavor: Rich, deep, complex and frequently quite intense, with variable amounts of roasted malt/grains, maltiness, fruity esters, hop bitterness and flavor, and alcohol. Medium to aggressively high bitterness. Medium-low to high hop flavor (any variety). Moderate to aggressively high roasted malt/grain flavors can suggest bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate, cocoa, and/or strong coffee. A slightly burnt grain, burnt
currant or tarry character may be evident. Fruity esters may be low to intense, and can take on a dark fruit character (raisins, plums, or prunes). Malt backbone can be balanced and supportive to rich and barleywine-like, and may optionally show some supporting caramel, bready or toasty flavors. Alcohol strength should be evident, but not hot, sharp, or solventy. No diacetyl. The palate and finish can vary from relatively dry to
moderately sweet, usually with some lingering roastiness, hop bitterness and warming character. The balance and intensity of flavors can be affected by aging, with some flavors becoming more subdued over time and some aged, vinous or port-like qualities developing.
Mouthfeel: Full to very full-bodied and chewy, with a velvety, luscious texture (although the body may decline with long conditioning). Gentle smooth warmth from alcohol should be present and noticeable. Should not be syrupy and underattenuated. Carbonation may be low to moderate, depending on age and conditioning.
Overall Impression: An intensely flavored, big, dark ale. Roasty, fruity, and bittersweet, with a noticeable alcohol presence. Dark fruit flavors meld with roasty, burnt, or almost tarlike sensations. Like a black barleywine with every dimension of flavor coming into play.

Which category did you assess the Double Choc stout as falling into?

None? :shock:

Well, you're right - and I'll let you in on a little secret. Young's Double Chocolate Stout is actually named in the BJCP Guidelines...under category 21.A - Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer....

Cheers,
TL / Br Stout
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Bizier » Wednesday Jan 21, 2009 6:12 pm

Mmm, maybe my comparison to dry stout was off the mark. I think I drank it warmer than I should have (left it capped on bench while I cleaned after brewing) and was utterly hot and exhausted (look at the time of my post). I think I would prefer it at about 6 deg C with something like mudcake and custard or similar.

But that said, I think I prefer my stouts 'straight' and stick by the Sam Smith Imperial as perhaps my fave so far. But I have also been enjoying the Sinha Stout as a good cheap drink. I think I prefer the impression of coffee or chocolate from the roasted grains, at least at this stage in my life.

Cheers Brother Stout.

PS How many taps on the kegerator in your lamp?
Bizier

Postby Richo68 » Monday Jan 26, 2009 6:40 pm

Abbotsford Invalid Stout..... oh yeah!! :D
Richo

"There is an excuse for drinking light beer - sometimes - but there's never an excuse for drinking shit beer." - Geoff Ambrose
Richo68

Postby Bizier » Friday Feb 13, 2009 6:54 pm

Cold change friends
Bizier

PreviousNext

Return to The beer you buy