Silly Yaks

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Silly Yaks

Postby corks » Sunday May 04, 2008 3:21 pm

For my 21st i was given a rather large sample of weird and wonderful beers by some friends, and amongst the usual Belgian, British and German suspects hid a very strange beer, a gluten free beer made from malted sorghum, amaranth, hops, yeast and water. It was easily the best of the bunch, it was phenomenal, refreshing and light, with a balanced hop profile. I honestly can't do it justice, it was just incredibly different and wonderful. Has anyone else tried it, or does anyone know of any malted sorghum for sale? I'd love to attempt a clone, I'd set up an all-grain system just to try it.

(Silly Yaks is a lovely little play on words as well. Took me a few goes to get it though.)
corks

Re: Silly Yaks

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday May 04, 2008 3:28 pm

I have not tried it (not available up here) but you can get malted sorghum in grain and extract.

If you want the extract talk to Anthony at Brewers Choice. If you want the malted grain talk to Silly Yaks or Grain & Grape. The amarynth is unmalted and should be easy to find at local bulk goods/health food shop.

Please let us know how you go, if you make a beer with any of this stuff.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Iron-Haggis » Sunday May 04, 2008 7:08 pm

I've tried it, didn't think it was as great as you describe it. But in terms of Gluten free beer it is better than O'Briens. One big drawback of Silly Yaks (very clever name too) is that it is extremely expensive around $25 a 6-pack. I can't remember the taste well enough to give you any ideas on a clone.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby rwh » Monday May 05, 2008 10:27 am

Now I know people don't search. We were discussing this topic just last week.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8018
w00t!
rwh

Postby Boonie » Monday May 05, 2008 12:27 pm

rwh wrote:Now I know people don't search. We were discussing this topic just last week.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8018

:lol: I thought that myself......... so should I rack it too? :P

I tried the O'Briens or OB one (kenobi) and it was awful.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby rwh » Monday May 05, 2008 12:53 pm

Boonie wrote:so should I rack it too? :P

Heh heh. I think I'm becoming one of those jaded forum denizens whose answer to everything is "search". :cry: Maybe I'll break out "RTFM" in the near future... ;)
w00t!
rwh

Postby corks » Thursday May 22, 2008 2:27 pm

whoops my bad, just got excited is all.
corks

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday May 22, 2008 5:03 pm

I bought a sixer of the O'Briens Pale Ale. I drank two per night on three different nights in a two week period.

I found it quite nice, but it did have a strange after taste which I could not quite pick (I am assuming this was the millet). Sort of lingered and I could not quite figure out what it was.

It had plenty of body, good hop character, and the initial taste is very good. It was generaly as inoffensive as most commercial ales.

At $25 per six pack I am not sure I will drink it much (if ever) but I think it is worth trying!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Nov 24, 2010 5:38 pm

Silly Yaks beer is no more. They blame the difficulty being able to reliable brew it: http://www.sillyyak.com.au/silly-yaks-l ... inued.html

But they do point to Billabong Brewing (http://www.billabongbrewing.com.au) and Schnitzerbrau (http://www.schnitzerbraeu.de) if you're looking for a gluten-free beer.

There's also O'Brien's: http://www.obrienbrewing.com.au

Thankfully, I'm not :D

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to The beer you buy