Chimay Blue

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Chimay Blue

Postby Old Gil » Tuesday May 06, 2008 1:51 pm

Man, I'd forgotten just how bloody nice it is. Had one on the weekend and have made it my #1. The only problem was I had to share it with the missus and she won't drink a beer unless it's ice cold, was a little dissapointed that she wouldn't heed my advice and serve it at the desired temp :roll: , but hey, it was still bloody nice. I even busted out one of the good glasses 8)
Is it beer'o'clock yet
Old Gil

Re: Chimay Blue

Postby rwh » Tuesday May 06, 2008 3:21 pm

Considering the good glass probably only cost a fraction of the beer you were drinking from it, I'd say that was a good decision.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Old Gil » Tuesday May 06, 2008 3:44 pm

Yeah at nearly 8 bucks a pop I wasn't gonna drink it from my shitty $2 beer glasses
Is it beer'o'clock yet
Old Gil

Postby bgm1409 » Thursday May 22, 2008 11:38 am

Swainy wrote:Yeah at nearly 8 bucks a pop I wasn't gonna drink it from my shitty $2 beer glasses

Was in our local Dan Murphys this morning--only had one Chimay Blue bottle left @ $15. Wife would kill me if she found out I had spent that much on a beer, so I bought a 6 pack of Schofferhofer Hefeweizen and a 6 pack of Pilsner Urquell instead.
bgm1409

Postby matr » Sunday May 25, 2008 12:10 am

bgm1409 wrote:Was in our local Dan Murphys this morning--only had one Chimay Blue bottle left @ $15. Wife would kill me if she found out I had spent that much on a beer, so I bought a 6 pack of Schofferhofer Hefeweizen and a 6 pack of Pilsner Urquell instead.

Hmmmmm. I don't understand how the wife would find out??? Guilt trips???

I'm sure she's not as guilty when she spends $250 on her hair??? I know mine isn't..
matr

Postby James L » Monday May 26, 2008 11:21 am

VALID... or when they buy a new pair of farken shoes every week...

I managed to get a few bottles of chimay blue for 14 each... that was at dan murphys when they first opened at westminster, but they soon cottoned on to that, now they are 19... ohh well i still have one in the fridge for a rainy day...
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby bgm1409 » Friday May 30, 2008 12:34 pm

Hate to sound like a fool, but last night my son bought 1 bottle of Chimay Blue, 1 bottle of Chimay White and a 6 pack of Schofferhofer Hefeweizen. After having a taste, I will still be limiting myself to the Schofferhofer Hefeweizen. The Chimays just didn't do it for me (sorry).
bgm1409

Postby Boonie » Friday May 30, 2008 12:47 pm

bgm1409 wrote:Hate to sound like a fool, but last night my son bought 1 bottle of Chimay Blue, 1 bottle of Chimay White and a 6 pack of Schofferhofer Hefeweizen. After having a taste, I will still be limiting myself to the Schofferhofer Hefeweizen. The Chimays just didn't do it for me (sorry).

Each to their own.

FWIW I like the Blue, I think it is extremely smooth.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Tipsy » Friday May 30, 2008 4:14 pm

bgm1409 wrote:Hate to sound like a fool, but last night my son bought 1 bottle of Chimay Blue, 1 bottle of Chimay White and a 6 pack of Schofferhofer Hefeweizen. After having a taste, I will still be limiting myself to the Schofferhofer Hefeweizen. The Chimays just didn't do it for me (sorry).

The first time I had Chimay Blue I drank it way too cold and didn't like it at all.
The last sip was probably the best and there was something about it that made me want to try it again.
I'm not saying that you should try it again but for me it was an aquired taste.
When I was a kid there were things I wouldn't eat, e.g. olives. Now they are some of my favorite foods. I think Chimay is the same.

That said Leffe Bruin is the best Belgium beer I've tried so far
Tipsy

Postby chadjaja » Sunday Nov 09, 2008 6:31 pm

I picked up a bottle today at Celebrations StKilda on sale for $14.95. Not sure if that was just an in store price or those with celebration bottle'os get that price too but worth a look.
chadjaja

Postby StuTee » Tuesday Nov 11, 2008 3:51 pm

Tipsy wrote:
That said Leffe Bruin is the best Belgium beer I've tried so far

+1 - big fan of Leffe, don't mind the blonde either
Got a bottle of Chimay Tripel (I think its the white???) in the fridge (got it for birthday a while back), not really up to speed on belgian beers so I don't know what to expect, but I can read the 8% on the label so i'm waiting for a night i don't have to drive/work the next day
StuTee

Postby smarty » Friday Feb 13, 2009 9:06 pm

Chimay Blue one mine favorite too. I can't see any beer which I liked as this one.
smarty

Postby Koops23 » Saturday Jun 27, 2009 7:24 am

I highly recommend making the trip to Belgium to sample their wares off the tap. Chimay is something else, and definitely up there, but the king of the Belgian ales? La Chouffe! Dan's have it in the large 750ml cuvee bottles at around $15. Do yourself a favour!

Koops23
Koops23

Postby Bizier » Sunday Jun 28, 2009 11:22 pm

I have to say that La Chouffe is thought provoking, and I would hope that one day someone will say that of my beers.

I do enjoy Chimay (esp. white and red) but really I prefer a Rochefort 10... mmm :twisted:
Bizier

Postby timmy » Monday Jun 29, 2009 8:26 am

Hey all,

I'm after a bottle (or bottles) of Chimay Blue 2006 to cellar for a few years. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy some?

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Return to The beer you buy