james squire

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

james squire

Postby steve_n » Wednesday May 28, 2008 2:25 pm

is it just me or has james squire not released any special brews for a while? i was hoping for another season of hop thief at least!
beer never tells me it's not in the mood.
-----------------------------------------------
PRIMARY:
SECONDARY: autumn ale
BOTTLED: honey wheat ale, first lager
steve_n

Re: james squire

Postby timmy » Wednesday May 28, 2008 4:53 pm

Yep I noticed that too.

I went onto their site and there's no mention of Hop Thief or Rum Rebellion Porter.....
timmy

Postby warra48 » Wednesday May 28, 2008 5:00 pm

Maybe their megabrew masters (read bean counters) would not approve the budget this time because of the increased price of malts and hops???
warra48

Postby earle » Thursday May 29, 2008 8:22 am

They seem to be doing the Mad Brewers releases at the moment. Probably figure by differentiating the special releases from the Squires branding they can charge a premium.
earle

Postby KEG » Thursday May 29, 2008 9:19 am

got any more info on these "Mad Brewers" releases??
KEG

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday May 29, 2008 9:30 am

KEG wrote:got any more info on these "Mad Brewers" releases??

Isn't it the new Malt Shovel range?

There is an Aussie White, and Raspberry Wheat AFAIK.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby gregb » Thursday May 29, 2008 9:42 am

Got a Raspberry Wheat the other week from Jim's Cellars at Waitara. Wasn't really to my liking, but wasn't bad either.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby steve_n » Thursday May 29, 2008 9:54 am

saw the mad brewers.... at $50 for nine 640mL bottles, i think i will give it a miss.
beer never tells me it's not in the mood.
-----------------------------------------------
PRIMARY:
SECONDARY: autumn ale
BOTTLED: honey wheat ale, first lager
steve_n

Postby earle » Thursday May 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Go to the Squires web site

http://www.maltshovelbrewing.com.au/

and check out the brewers blog. They usually discuss them there.

http://jamessquire.com.au/blog/

Join up to there club and you'll get emails letting you know about upcoming releases.
earle

Postby earle » Tuesday Jun 03, 2008 8:02 am

From JS Brewers Blog

Messing up the plan

There’s a fair bit of planning that goes into running a brewery. Managing hops, malt and yeast; scheduling brew days and getting our team of regular casuals on board for packaging. So when our scheduler Natalka has delicately assembled a plan to rival the London Met one of us meddling brewers will always want to mess it up. Like when we whimsically ponder- ‘Wouldn’t it be good to knock out a Limited Release in a month or so?’

While the rest of us have been frantically making as much Porter as possible to tide us over the winter months, Lindsay’s been tinkering away with our latest recipe concoction. And looking pretty glorious it is. After chaining himself to an empty fermenter to prevent its Pilsener reclamation, he brewed the first batch of our next limited release last Monday.

This beer should be hitting glasses around the first week of July, so there’s some time to develop an unhealthy sense of anticipatory longing. The last couple of limited release beers have been pretty light hearted affairs, from the Mad Brewers’ rapacious Raspberry Wheat to the heavenly hopped Hop Thief.

While this one is still in the fermenter, it’s already displaying a rich jarrah hue and some lovely caramel aromas. Just the thing to warm you all the way to your frozen extremities. We’ve spiced it up a bit with some quintessentially Australian ingredients, but you’ll just have to wait and see before the curtain is raised.

In other news - we packed out the latest batch of New Norcia Abbey Ale last week, so it should be traversing the Nullarbor just in time to make first drinks on Saturday. Swing by the monastery (http://www.newnorcia.com.au) to score a pint, or put in a mail order.

Any guesses on what this winter release will be? Or whether it will be JS or the more expensive mad brewers'? My guess is that if they've put some Ozzie ingredients in it will be mad brewers.
earle

Return to The beer you buy