Stella Artios

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Stella Artios

Postby Biernut » Thursday May 29, 2008 4:21 pm

Stella Artios ah! now thats a beer, well it was until CUB got into the act. They are producing the worse possible clone of a fine Belgium beer that I have tasted. What amazes me is that Stella Artios allows them to put their name on this feeble attempt to produce a beer that tastes nothing like the original. To add insult to injury the liquor outlets have the audacity to charge up to sixty dollars a carton for this poor attempt to emulate what is a fine beer.

Well thats my rant for the day, glad to get it of my chest,

cheers Brian.
Biernut

Re: Stella Artios

Postby rwh » Thursday May 29, 2008 4:38 pm

Er I thought CUB lost its license and it's now imported again...
w00t!
rwh

Postby James L » Thursday May 29, 2008 4:46 pm

maybe he got one of the old cartons...
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby StuTee » Thursday May 29, 2008 7:18 pm

I dunno about that, I've been checking it each time I cruise through a bottlo and its always the brewed under licence stuff
The last Dan's I was at sold both, but didn't make a note on the tickets..
StuTee

Postby Iron-Haggis » Thursday May 29, 2008 10:32 pm

CUB haven't lost the licence to brew Stella, that previous thread was incorrect. They mentioned that CUB lost the rights to two beer that they didn't have the rights to in the first place. I work in the liquor industry and have not heard any news that Stella is to now be imported. Also don't blame the bottle shops for the high prices blame the suppliers.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby homebrewer79 » Monday Jun 16, 2008 8:30 am

Iron-Haggis wrote:Also don't blame the bottle shops for the high prices blame the suppliers.

I was passing the pub at watergardens shopping center on sunday and thought to myself "Might just drop in for a cold one". I haven't had a Stella for ages, so I grabbed two pints (one for the missus, not both for me :lol: ). At $12 each I'll Blame who ever I want. One thing I can tell you, I wont be drinking stella again, imported or not. I'd rather make it :twisted: :lol:
Thats it, you people have stood in my way long enough, I'm going to clown college
homebrewer79

Postby rwh » Monday Jun 16, 2008 10:14 am

homebrewer79 wrote:At $12 each I'll Blame who ever I want.

:shock: OMFG.
w00t!
rwh

Postby homebrewer79 » Monday Jun 16, 2008 10:37 am

rwh wrote:
homebrewer79 wrote:At $12 each I'll Blame who ever I want.

:shock: OMFG.

That was my exact reaction, how do you think I felt standing there with a 20 when she said "that'll be $23.90". I think even her jaw dropped.
Thats it, you people have stood in my way long enough, I'm going to clown college
homebrewer79

Postby Danis » Monday Jun 16, 2008 11:47 am

Jeez, can't say I'd pay $12 for a pint of any Stella, brewed under license or not.

I'm just wondering, where's our Guinness brewed?
Danis

Postby drsmurto » Monday Jun 16, 2008 11:51 am

Danis wrote:I'm just wondering, where's our Guinness brewed?

At the Angas Creek Brewery in Mt Torrens...

Well, thats where i get it from! :twisted:
drsmurto

Postby scanman » Tuesday Jun 17, 2008 9:23 am

Have to agree the Stella brewed here is rubbish compared to the imported stuff. And they have the nerv to charge the same price for both if you check around.

I hope CUB lost the license for brewing Stella. I love the stuff, its a good beer, but the Aussie clone is rubbish. I have bought one of each and sat down and drank both to compare, and they certainly are not the same beast.

Funnily enough, Stella in europe and the UK is considered to be like VB here. It has the nick name of wife beater, due to the higher alcohol content. My Irish freind at work says that its a scumbags beer in Ireland.
I think they do not know how lucky they are, because they might have to drink somehting like VB all the time. I know if I had the choice of Stella or VB I know which I would choose....... :wink:
Who ever said nothing was impossible, never tried to slam a revolving door....
scanman

Postby Boonie » Tuesday Jun 17, 2008 12:24 pm

I had 1 Imported Stella last night....is it just me or is there alot more Hop Aroma and flavour?

From reading this thread, obviously not. :lol:
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Danis » Tuesday Jun 17, 2008 1:07 pm

scanman wrote: Funnily enough, Stella in europe and the UK is considered to be like VB here. It has the nick name of wife beater, due to the higher alcohol content. My Irish freind at work says that its a scumbags beer in Ireland.
I think they do not know how lucky they are, because they might have to drink somehting like VB all the time. I know if I had the choice of Stella or VB I know which I would choose....... :wink:

Ah yes, I remember living in England where I was introduced to beer, and I'd always argue with friends that there were so many better beers than Stella. But, arriving back in Melbourne, I realised there were many worse beers too.
Danis

Postby Biernut » Thursday Jun 19, 2008 7:59 am

There are many beer forums on UK sites and Stella rates pretty highly with drinkers in the old dart, the only complaint seem to be big price ticket. Drinkers back here in Oz must be catching on to the Stella scam as I see the price down to 45 bucks a case now at our local BWS. Still to much for this feeble attempt to clone a fine beer by CUB. I believe Heiniken is being made here to. Seems like the commercial brewing industry are trying to cash in on the big overseas names. Be aware, read the label on the back of the bottle to see if it is the real thing.
Biernut

Postby scanman » Thursday Jun 19, 2008 11:27 am

Yes its just wrong, and they should not be able to do that. I see despite complaints to the ACCC that they have done nothing about it. Don't you just love our government!
scanman

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Jun 19, 2008 11:59 am

Lived in the UK for 2 years so had to deal with Stella and the after effects. Its definitely the drink of bogans (chavs) and IMO not that great a beer, even the real stuff. But then i am a english ale fan so spent my time drinking ales from the handpump rather than cold fizzy cat p*ss. If i wanted to drink that rubbish i could have had a Fosters :shock:
drsmurto

Postby scanman » Friday Jun 20, 2008 3:40 pm

Now come on. You can't compare Stella with Forsters. Your kidding right?? :) I can see where peolpe in the UK don't think much of Stella. But when you look at the big corporate cats p**s we get here Stella is a cut above any of them. I think its just the standard in this country for mass produced beer is bad, being that there is only two major compeditors in the mass market. Compared to the same thing in the UK and Europe.
Sad but true. When we get a beer like imported Stella in our hands its a cut above the bogan beers they serve over here, especially that rubbish that is Forsters.

Whats worse about Forsters is that the rest of the world thinks we drink it by the bucket load, even though you would be hard to find a pub that has the stuff on tap in this country. Specially in Sydney Metro where I live. Or even a pub that stocks it at all. Its terrible stuff, and just as bad as VB if you ask me. Good for snail bait! :mrgreen:
scanman

Postby rwh » Friday Jun 20, 2008 4:00 pm

The ultimate irony is that the European Fosters is BUL in Germany, and as a result is a fairly decent beer (or so I'm told). :lol:
w00t!
rwh

Postby warra48 » Friday Jun 20, 2008 4:51 pm

drsmurto wrote:Lived in the UK for 2 years so had to deal with Stella and the after effects. Its definitely the drink of bogans (chavs) and IMO not that great a beer, even the real stuff. But then i am a english ale fan so spent my time drinking ales from the handpump rather than cold fizzy cat p*ss. If i wanted to drink that rubbish i could have had a Fosters :shock:

Doc, you're a man after my own heart.
Here's to Hobgoblin and Fullers ESB !!!
I love a huge variety of beers, but they're on top of my list.
warra48

Postby pixelboy » Friday Jun 20, 2008 6:10 pm

The BWS near me has the fully imported Stella for $40/case.. no sign of the "Carlton Artios" anywhere
pixelboy

Next

Return to The beer you buy