Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Postby lethaldog » Monday Jun 16, 2008 1:21 pm

The snpa has always managed to elude me but i found it today at acland cellars in st kilda if anyone is interested.
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Re: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Jun 16, 2008 2:52 pm

I have the feeling it's transport would have been less than ideal and the beer would be a poor example.

But by all means please let us know how it compares!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Danis » Monday Jun 16, 2008 5:07 pm

Very true Kevinlis. I don't remember the exact route that it comes by, but it goes via England a fair portion of Europe too. That said, I bought some from Purvis Cellars in Surrey Hills a while back, and it was still very nice, but I'd love to try it fresh.
Danis

Postby lethaldog » Monday Jun 16, 2008 5:30 pm

Yep me 2, im sippin on one right now and it is very nice but then again i have never had it fresh, i still reckon mines better :roll: :lol:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby heathen » Monday Jun 30, 2008 4:45 pm

Hi guys, I want to add my two cents to the SNPA topic. I considered this beer my holy grail and at long last got a case (12 stubbies)to call my own.

From Holland through Grape and Grain. I agree with Kevinlis, fresh would be better, but until they hammer out a distribution deal here in Oz, it's all we're going to get.

Currently, I have a case waiting in Texas, one in Okie and one in Chicago with friends, they paid 20 bucks for it over there and due to the advice I gave them on handling it during shipping, it'll probably be drunk by them before it gets here.

I drank them cold, cellar temp, from glass, from steins and from chilled steins and glasses. I wanted to experience it everyway I could. I didn't sip it straight from the bottle, however.

Flavor wise, I was surprised, this is a remarkably balanced beer, very sessional. They went down so effortlessly. I was really surprised at the hopping levels (this could be the freshness factor though) Even my partner, who hates all my floral beers, (which is my firm favorite at the moment) loved it. I am going to attempt another clone and cut the hops I use by nearly half.

We loved it. So smooth. To me, that was it's appeal, so smooth, I wouldn't trust it alone near my partner.

Another thing I noticed, and once again this could be due to freshness and shipping conditions, is our home grown american style pale ales are very hop driven compared to the SNPA. I toured the local breweries whilst on holidays, The Bridgeroad Brewery(formerly the Beechworth Brewery) has my new favorite commercial beer. His pale ale uses Nelson sauvin and cascade as the finishers and on tap, was sensational! Such aroma, such taste, I was tipsy at 11 am! In bottles it wasn't as good. Which, only adds credence to my summation that the SNPA we get here is losing it's aroma and such. We've all noticed that in our own bottles.

Lethaldog, I had to giggle at your comment, I sometimes wonder at my cloning attempts, I honestly think some of the beers I make are better than the ones I'm trying to emulate, I guess in the end a good beer is a good beer. I really should stop comparing them.

Anyway, sorry for such a longwinded comment.

Regards, The Heathen
...and the serpent said nothing, just grinned with knowledge.
heathen

Postby lethaldog » Monday Jun 30, 2008 4:57 pm

The Snpa still clocks in at 36 ibu's which i dont think that our attempts would be alot more than that, if even as much and i personally thought it had good bite, agreed they were very easy to throw down though at 30+ dollars for a sixer i wont be experiencing it very often :lol:

P.s still think mines better :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby rwh » Monday Jun 30, 2008 5:35 pm

This is the closest recipe I've found so far:

From: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=15532
Northern Brewer forum wrote:Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (all grain)
Here's my final cut based on info from the brewery. The crsytal 60 seems high but thats what the recipe calls for to get to 12 SRM. I may have to vary the hop additions just a bit depending on the alpha acid percentage. I'll be brewing this next weekend (hopefully). I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Here it is:
SNPA Clone
A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.60
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.00
Anticipated SRM: 11.9
Anticipated IBU: 37.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth
Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
87.5 11.90 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
12.5 1.70 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.45 0.0 0 min. (at flameout no dry hopping)
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.45 6.8 10 min.
0.40 oz. Magnum Pellet 13.00 17.9 60 min.
0.50 oz. Perle Pellet 9.00 11.9 30 min.

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 13.60
Water Qts: 16.44 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 4.11 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.21 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 153 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume Gal: 5.20 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
w00t!
rwh

Postby sparkious » Sunday Jul 06, 2008 4:42 pm

I have managed to get my hands on it in Brissy at Stewarts wine co , Portside Wharf Hamilton . They had to order in 12 for me at the disgraceful price of .... $ 70, but I have been so keen to try I went for it. It looks like it has come via the U.K , but it tastes pretty fresh to me and I have really enjoyed it . Good news is I.M.H.O it tastes very very close to L.C.P.A so I wont be ordering anymore now I have got that beer demon out of my system. Hopefully they can't get Fat Tire or Anchor Steam ! If your intrested ask for Mel, she said she could get more . I have nothing to do with this shop which is pretty obvious at $70 bucks for 12 stubbies, but I thought there's bound to be someone else out there hanging to get there hands on the stuff in Brissy
sparkious

Postby Boonie » Sunday Jul 06, 2008 5:11 pm

I think she saw you coming......$70 :shock:

$140 a case/slab......Belgians are close to that for a case/slab.

If LCPA is close to the taste, I wont bother......I've heard it's pretty good though....the SNPA that is
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby lethaldog » Sunday Jul 06, 2008 8:37 pm

Boonie wrote:I think she saw you coming......$70 :shock:

$140 a case/slab......Belgians are close to that for a case/slab.

If LCPA is close to the taste, I wont bother......I've heard it's pretty good though....the SNPA that is

As far as i can tell you wont find it anywhere else in Australia any cheaper :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby rwh » Monday Jul 07, 2008 2:37 pm

I was lucky and had a mate bring two bottles back for me from his trip to the US. Best. 30th. Birthday. Present. Ever.

However, I hate to burst everyone's bubble. The LCPA is similar, but not in quite the same league. I reckon the SNPA malt depth is greater, and it balances so bloody beautifully with the hops it's not funny. For my money the LCPA is a bit over-hopped (or under-malted, depending on your point of view). The hop flavour is also quite different. A bit less crowded in the SNPA, if that makes sense. I guess the flavour hopping is more weighted towards pure Cascade.

Bloody hell if only we had a beer like that over here that was as cheap and as good as the SNPA over there. They have it so good.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Ivesy » Tuesday Jul 08, 2008 8:56 pm

I only just got back from the states today and now know what all the fuss over the SNPA is all about. I now have a new favourite all time beer. What a beauty!! I didnt think it would live up to the hype you boys have given it but desereves the accolades. Now i just have to find somewehere in Sydney to buy it. Oh yeah as far as the price went, i paid $7.50 for a six pack in New York !! Even Heineken kegs were twenty bucks. Yep we get ripped off here for sure.
Ivesy

Postby Oliver » Friday May 20, 2011 4:26 pm

I just got back from Grain and Grape. I picked up a SNPA and SN Torpedo Extra IPA (for $4.25 and $4.95, respectively).

They also had the SN Stout and Kellerweis, and, I think, the Porter.

Be quick!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby jello » Friday Jul 01, 2011 10:02 pm

I've been to the US numerous times now, and I can now say Iam thoroughly over SNPA. Yeah, it's a nice beer, but i'd prefer a Cooper's Pale Ale.

I did however go to a micro brewery in Virginia called the Williamsburg Ale Werks. Their Wheat Beer was amazing.

SNPA is now a mass produced American beer which you can buy at the local Safeway. There are better beers. I even prefered Sam Adams. Dogfish Head isn't bad either.
Jeff.
jello

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Jul 05, 2011 12:36 pm

Fair call, Jello. I must say that I was a bit underwhelmed by it. Yes, it's a very nice beer, but there are better around, IMHO.

My first taste of SNPA was in the "old days", probably 10+ years ago when (a) you couldn't get the variety of beers you can now to compare it to; and (b) it was one of the first "craft beers" I'd tasted.

Having more experience under my belt now, I probably regard it less highly. Having said that, I wouldn't knock one back and would be happy to brew a beer that tasted like it.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby jello » Tuesday Jul 05, 2011 4:38 pm

I wouldn't say 'no' to a SNPA either. Especially at the price the Americans pay for them! I think I bought them for about $16 USD for a case of 18.
Jeff.
jello

Postby lob » Wednesday Jul 06, 2011 5:10 pm

I personally love SNPA, but a long time between drinks. Lately, every time I go to the bottle store at Fyshwick markets (about the only place I know in Canberra that sells it) they're out of stock. SN, btw, has FOUR beers in the Top 12 (of 50) in some "Homebrewers Association" beer awards thingy. (Yeah I think awards are overrated also, but still Four in the Top 12 is still impressive. - SNPA came in 10th.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/3 ... 87706.html

Note: there's a video (advert) for Serra Nevada at the bottom of the page in the above link.

I'm no fan of mass-produced beer, but having said that, I actually don't mind 'Blue Moon' (best described I guess as a somewhat less, but still impressive, derivative of hoegaarden) - even with the silly orange slice it's served with. And at least in the US they don't charge 30 - 70% more for anything other than bud et al (their New/Carlton equivalents.) It's good to go to a bar in the States and order a Pale and a Blue Moon and get charged about the same for both, and not walk away feeling like you've been cheated. Try ordering a New, Coopers Pale, and Peroni (BUL) at your typical Coles/Woolies/Upmarket/Capitalist/Money-Hungry wanky Aussie pub and look at the price differential.

Russian River's 'Pliny the Elder' was voted #1 in the above link. Where can I buy some??????
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Postby bullfrog » Friday Jul 15, 2011 11:20 am

Sierra Nevada is the third largest independent brewery in the states behind Boston (Samuel Adams) and some mob I've not heard of before that only distributes on the east coast. That being said, they're hardly a big brewery and calling their beer 'mass produced' in a way that implies they're pumping out megaswill is entirely unfair. Having just toured their facilities, I can tell you that they're not about just pumping out beer to get their product on the shelves, they really are about making quality beer and their brewers are constantly experimenting with new styles, ingredients and methods (the same way we do) to keep making new great beers. What else would you expect from a company founded and owned by a homebrewer?

Just because something is now well distributed in the states doesn't make it megaswill.
bullfrog

Postby RUM57L » Friday Jul 15, 2011 11:50 am

Fair Call Bullfrog,

example... I dont think people would call CPA megaswill do you?
RUM57L

Postby bullfrog » Friday Jul 15, 2011 1:06 pm

I certainly wouldn't call Coopers megaswill and yet their products can be found in any Aussie bottle-o. Think that hammers the point in a little more :)
bullfrog

Next

Return to The beer you buy